FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Debate/apologetic basics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I am debating a colleague who is as far as I can tell a messianic jew and neo con. I need help. Today we were discussing the political entity that is modern Israel and Catholicism. Can anyone point me to a clear, honest explanation of the history of Israel, from Abraham to 1948? Also, he claimed that the Catholic Church did not come into being until the Council of Nicea and that Christ was actually crucified on Thursday and rose from the dead on Saturday, according to the old calender, whatever that is.  What the hell is this?

He said that modern Israel came into existence peacefully and that no one was really inconvenienced. THat Jerusalem is rightly Israel's and the jews want to just live in peace.

Thanks.

H.

Show him the Jewish Council of Solamnia. Christians did not reject the Jews, Jews rejected the Christians.

Also, it is commonly believed that there were 7 million Jews in the Roman Empire at the time of Christ, and only 1 million a century later. Some of the more popular theories as to why this is the case is that the majority of them became Christian. If he is familiar with Jewish Synagogue liturgy then show him the liturgy of the Catechumens. It will look very familiar for a reason, particularly the Byzantine version of it.

One book that will definetly be interesting is "How Christ Said the First Mass." Get it to him if you can. I believe it's available free online. Another good one might be Chesterton's "The New Jerusalem."
Tom Woods wrote an article for the Remnant years ago describing the formation of the modern state of Israel up till 1948.  It was stunning as I recall and really opened my eyes to the situation over there. Those working towards a Jewish State were not opposed to employing terrorist tactics it seems.  It was called, "Birth of a Nation."  You won't hear any of those details on conservative talk radio, the only place I've ever seen the same subject credibly presented was on a British documentary. 
messianic jews are jews for jesus right?
Invite to fish eaters. I'm sure we will have a ball with him
(04-06-2010, 06:33 AM)devotedknuckles Wrote: [ -> ]messianic jews are jews for jesus right?

Some of them. That is, there are people who identify as Jews and acknowledge Jesus as the Messiah and do not consider themselves Christians.

Little more than protestantism, really, which is neo-Judaic anyway.

Quote:He said that modern Israel came into existence peacefully and that no one was really inconvenienced. THat Jerusalem is rightly Israel's and the jews want to just live in peace.

Invite him to Fish Eaters by all means, but persuading someone who engages in this kind of self-serving delusion will be hard to make headway with.
Thank you, everyone. Exceeding expectations.
(04-06-2010, 12:42 AM)WanderingPenitent Wrote: [ -> ]Show him the Jewish Council of Solamnia. Christians did not reject the Jews, Jews rejected the Christians.

Also, it is commonly believed that there were 7 million Jews in the Roman Empire at the time of Christ, and only 1 million a century later. Some of the more popular theories as to why this is the case is that the majority of them became Christian. If he is familiar with Jewish Synagogue liturgy then show him the liturgy of the Catechumens. It will look very familiar for a reason, particularly the Byzantine version of it.

One book that will definetly be interesting is "How Christ Said the First Mass." Get it to him if you can. I believe it's available free online. Another good one might be Chesterton's "The New Jerusalem."

What an excellent post!

+1!