FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Relativism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
what is it and how do debate against it?
it depends,........
Well, relativism is a pretty big movement encompassing all sorts of different fields.  I assume that you are here concerned with moral or philosophical relativism which is largely the child of atheism and existentialism.  The latter says that existence precedes essence and thus we are the sole creators of meaning or value.  Thus, something is neither objectively good or bad, but is, for me, whatever I happen to feel when thinking about it or seeing it, while it is, for you, whatever you happen to feel regarding it.  It is basically the logical claim that all such things as truth, meaning, definition, value, morality, beauty etc. etc. (anything which requires judgment) is dependent solely on each individual and absolutely nothing can be said about these things inherently.  A waterfall is not inherently beautiful and sodomy is not inherently disgusting, sinful etc.  Taken to the extreme you will get those who say that my blue is your red and her chair is my albino elephant.  That's simplified and kind of goofy, but you get the idea.

The most honest relativists will be absolute relativists and will have the fortitude to admit that this applies to all things.  They choose not to murder not because it is wrong, but because they know they probably just won't get away with it (Hobbes).  Some people try and go on and on about some humanitarian garbage about how, even though right and wrong are societal constructs which have no objective value, we still ought not to murder or rape or what have you.  That never has and never will be internally consistent or logical, but they don't have the guts to talk as radically as Hobbes. 
Thatmay work for you littlerose to eachh there own eh
Relativism, and all its native byproducts, is the stupidist idea in the history of ideas.  Relativism must, by definition, be an absolute claim; as such, it contradicts itself right off the bat.  If relativism is true, it's absolutely true, in which case it is false.  If relativism is false, it is false again.  Either way, relativism is false.  Thus, relativism can never be true no matter what. 
Just live and let live man I mean dude. I mean groovey bro
(04-06-2010, 07:47 PM)JonW Wrote: [ -> ]Relativism, and all its native byproducts, is the stupidest idea in the history of ideas.  Relativism must, by definition, be an absolute claim; as such, it contradicts itself right off the bat.  If relativism is true, it's absolutely true, in which case it is false.  If relativism is false, it is false again.  Either way, relativism is false.  Thus, relativism can never be true no matter what. 

I'm gonna learn this and recite it to a boy on my school bus

we're always getting to fights over this he's so damn stubburn and I have never change he's a perv and under the banner of moral relativism he says its alright

healways talks and talks about different philosophy's but only bits of them that I suppose just back up his backward thinking

it sickens me!
D:<<<<<<
Relativism is the attitude of "I'm ok, you're ok, we're all ok".  "It's all just relative".  That sort of thing. The easiest and most clear way to argue against this is by slapping the person you arguing with right across the face. He will recoil in pain and anger and inquire just what in the hell do you think you are doing? You will say: "I'm only doing what I think is right". End of argument.
Relativism is the logical extension of my generation's reading existentialism ala Sartre, Genet, and Camus, and then digesting it and teaching the succeeding generation their own brand of it, mixed with their love of self in the extreme. It is narcissism in the extreme and leads one to think truth is only what one believes it to be.
This is why reason can not win the day today, no one cares as it is all relative Man.
tim
Pages: 1 2