FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Proper attitude for a Catholic towards the pedophilia scandal?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Finally, what is a Catholic supposed to make of the pedophilia scandal? Is he just supposed to chalk it up to fallout from Vatican II, somehow, or classify it as the kind of periodic disgrace that might inevitably occur in the history of any institution so huge and long-lived? 
To start with, it's only pedophilia in a minority of cases.  That's when the molester desires pre-pubescent kids.  Most of the abuse was of pubescent and post-pubescent boys/young men.  So in the majority of cases we're dealing with predatory homosexuals.
(04-09-2010, 10:09 PM)Bonifacius Wrote: [ -> ]To start with, it's only pedophilia in a minority of cases.  That's when the molester desires pre-pubescent kids.  Most of the abuse was of pubescent and post-pubescent boys/young men.  So in the majority of cases we're dealing with predatory homosexuals.

Granting that the age range of the victim is typically 12-17 and that the pathology might better be described as ephebophilia, we're still talking sex with minors and a systematic effort to cover it up in the interest of preserving the Church's reputation and assets.
But it is worth noting, that the problem stems from rampant homosexuality in the priesthood, you will NEVER hear than on the news.
(04-09-2010, 10:14 PM)GeorgeT Wrote:  Angry people who have been looking for a reason to malign the church have now got it. They will try and harrass and shame those who remain in the church. They will try to confuse the arguement of an infallible church citing fallible men. Who cares? Their war is with God not with us.

I don't think blaming the critics works here. The Church's own behavior in this matter is malignant, is it not? Is the Church itself at war with God?

As for missing the distinction between an infallible Church and fallible men, it strikes me that the Church hierarchy itself is a bit confused on that issue. You would think that if the hierarchy really accepted the fallibility of the men of which the priesthood is comprised, they would have handled all this a bit differently.

Whatever happened to priestly Chastity and Celibacy?

Where'd they go?

(04-09-2010, 10:33 PM)HotRod Wrote: [ -> ]But it is worth noting, that the problem stems from rampant homosexuality in the priesthood, you will NEVER hear than on the news.

I agree that the news will resist laying it at the feet of rampant homosexuality in the priesthood, but that's because the problem is an epidemic of sex between adults in positions of authority and minors under their pastoral care, not sex between consenting adults.

That doesn't mean rampant homosexuality in the priesthood isn't a problem, just that the problem in question isn't homosexuality per se.
(04-09-2010, 10:55 PM)verenaerin Wrote:I have no issue with the reporting of accurate information on the pedophillia scandal. But many do not stop there. They continue to attack the Church. When I say church I am not talking about the people in it or in the Vatican, I am talking about particular articles of faith.

What would you cite as an example of that in the media--attacking articles of faith as opposed to Church personnel or policies? I could be a selective reader, but I feel like the reporting has been pretty squarely focused on priests' sexual abuse of minors and the Church's misguided efforts to cover that up.

If it doesn't go without saying, I'm just talking about major news outlets, not screeds in offbeat publications.
Please allow me to repeat my question.

In Church doctrine and praxis--Whatever happened to priestly Chastity and Celibacy?

I realize we Anglicans have similar problems with "abuse"; however, our priests can and do marry--
whether God thinks that's appropriate or not.

Where did the Teachings of Chastity and Celibacy [in the Catholic catechism]  go?

EEWC
(04-09-2010, 11:08 PM)No3456 Wrote: [ -> ]Please allow me to repeat my question.

In Church doctrine and praxis--Whatever happened to priestly Chastity and Celibacy?

I realize we Anglicans have similar problems with "abuse"; however, our priests can and do marry--
whether God thinks that's appropriate or not.

Where did the Teachings of Chastity and Celibacy [in the Catholic catechism]  go?

EEWC

I, personally, haven't addressed this question because it seems like a digression and is also a bit vague. Obviously, Catholic priests still take vows of chastity, but the sex abuse scandal isn't about mere lapses in vows of chastity. A priest having a consensual sexual relationship with another adult is a major lapse, but it is arguably quite a bit less compromising, morally, than the sexual abuse of a minor. The former is not criminal, the latter is.

Are you asking, in effect, whether the Church should consider relaxing the rule on priestly celibacy in the Latin Rite?
Pages: 1 2 3 4