FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Petition Carlos Slim
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who is Carlos Slim and why mention a petition to him on Fisheaters?

Carlos Slim is a Mexican engineer, businessman and philanthropist largely focused on the telecommunications industry. He is currently the wealthiest person in the world with a net worth of around US$53.5 billion through his holdings.

On September 10, 2008, Slim announced that he had purchased a 6.4% common-stock stake in The New York Times Company, making him the largest shareholder not related to the company's owners, the Sulzberger family.

Add to this a caption on the ABC news website below a photo of Fr. Maciel of Legionnairies of Christ:
     http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/slideshow/...s-10253541

"In this still from Jason Berry's 2008 documentary "Vows of Silence," Father Maciel strokes the lapel of Mexican media magnate Carlos Slim, the world's wealthiest man and a financial supporter of the Legion. (Vows of Silence)"

It seems clear that Mr. Slim is Catholic and/or might have some attachment to the faith and therefore could be availed upon to intervene on behalf of justice and the Holy Father.

I think that someone who has access should petition Mr Slim to intervene with the New York Times to stop their spiteful persecution of the Holy Father and the Church over these scandals. Or request them to do a more balanced job reporting the phenomena, rather than use it to grind the progressivist agenda against the Faith.

Anyone on Fisheaters have any connections? Its worth a try.

I hope someone in the Vatican is making phone calls to Mexico to call-in some favours. This persecution of the Church through 'gossip' is really getting depressing and sickening.

It seems that gays are 'out and proud' while Catholics from now on will be shoved into their empty closet.

I don't believe such a petition or cry for help would bring any positive results.

First and foremost, Mr. Slim is a businessman. As such, his purchase of whatever percent of the NYT that he now owns was predicated on the knowledge that they are a Liberal newspaper. He might tweak their business model some; but to hope that he would do anything substantive to change the editorial viewpoint and social outreach of a Liberal behemoth like the NYT is to engage in fantasy.
I agree that he knew what he was purchasing, however being a businessman does not mean that he doesn't have a soul to save and since he was obviously connected somehow to the Legionnaires of Christ and therefore the Church, presumably in a conservative way, I feel he might be prevailed upon here.

It certainly wouldn't affect the bottom  line profitability of the NYT if they stopped reporting this garbage.

I believe that the media is acting unfairly and needs to be stopped and so the Church needs to avail itself of all its resources to counter attack.

If a wealthy influential and Catholic businessman layperson can't do what he can to ensure justice in this matter within his area of influence, in the face of the willfull public slandering the Bride of Christ, I really don't think there is much else we can expect from the laity.

(04-11-2010, 12:48 AM)winoblue1 Wrote: [ -> ]I agree that he knew what he was purchasing, however being a businessman does not mean that he doesn't have a soul to save and since he was obviously connected somehow to the Legionnaires of Christ and therefore the Church, presumably in a conservative way, I feel he might be prevailed upon here.

It certainly wouldn't affect the bottom  line profitability of the NYT if they stopped reporting this garbage...

It most certainly would affect their profits. NYT readers may be Liberal; but they're not obtuse. Far from it.  They look for the NYT to be the leader in disseminating their left wing propaganda. Regular readers (and they have a HUGE worldwide readership), would pick up immediately on even the slightest change in the paper's Commie-Lib focus and viewpoint, vis a vis this topic. There would be a backlash of monumental proportions spearheaded by other entities in the Liberal media. This backlash would spread like wildfire due to how quickly one can access news today. I don't mean to be rude; but you are delusional if you think that Carlos Slim is going (or even has the legal ability) to do anything to change that. I am sure that the New York Times Corporation has in place airtight regulations regarding anyone being able to make the type of change that you are proposing, winoblue. What you are suggesting is that Carlos Slim tell the NYT Editors what to print or not to print. This ain't the Pawdunk Post Press; It's the Freakin' New York Times!!! They would undoubtedly need the concensus of a board of directors and a majority stockholder vote to approve wholesale changes like this. And NYT majority stockholders and their Board of Directors are among the major movers and shakers of worldwide Liberalism today.

On top of this, you would need to hire a large amount of new staff at all levels due to the fact that The NYT's writers, editors and star columnists all share the same Liberal viewpoint. It would be a logistical nightmare unlike any ever seen in modern journalistic history. Do you honestly think that all these folks are going to say "OK Mr. Slim..Whatever you say...We will stop reporting news about the Catholic Church in such a liberal, biased fashion.." Hell no!! There would also be a huge backlash from these folks. They all thoroughly drink the Marxist kool-aid served at the NYT lunchroom.

It does not matter one iota what catholic group Carlos Slim supports or is a member of. Men do not acquire as much money as Slim has by going into business acquisitions blindly. He thoroughly knew what the NYT is, he knew completely that they have corporate attorneys and a board of directors who would never stand for the fantasy scenario that you are proposing.

It ain't happening friend. What you are proposing is a fairytale.