FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Worlds Without Women
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Worlds Without Women
By MAUREEN DOWD
Published: April 10, 2010

(NY Times) -- When I was in Saudi Arabia, I had tea and sweets with a group of educated and sophisticated young professional women.

I asked why they were not more upset about living in a country where women’s rights were strangled, an inbred and autocratic state more like an archaic men’s club than a modern nation. They told me, somewhat defensively, that the kingdom was moving at its own pace, glacial as that seemed to outsiders.

How could such spirited women, smart and successful on every other level, acquiesce in their own subordination?

I was puzzling over that one when it hit me: As a Catholic woman, I was doing the same thing.

I, too, belonged to an inbred and wealthy men’s club cloistered behind walls and disdaining modernity.

I, too, remained part of an autocratic society that repressed women and ignored their progress in the secular world.

I, too, rationalized as men in dresses allowed our religious kingdom to decay and to cling to outdated misogynistic rituals, blind to the benefits of welcoming women’s brains, talents and hearts into their ancient fraternity.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/11/opinion/11dowd.html
What do you think about this fartsucker?
If she's a Catholic then I'm a Zoroastrian. What a self-important shrew.
Comparing the Catholic Church to Saudi Arabia may be the silliest thing I've read all week. From day one, the Church has stood alone in raising women to dignity; if the OP is actually interested in learning how women in Catholic societies were treated, he can read Regine Pernoud's historical treatise Women in the Days of the Cathedrals. Or examine the lives of St Hildegard, St Catherine of Siena, and St Theresa of Avila. Does Maureen O Dowd really think that Saudi Arabia would have allowed these women to be scholars? Tell the Pope off the way St Catherine did?

MoDo is a dope.  always has been, always will be.  she's not a journalist but then who is these days?  they pretty much all write like gossip columnists and appear on tv to gossip in groups.
Has any one ever seen der fartmeister do anything but start a thread with some liberal drivel? Can you type?? Can you only cut and paste?
tim
(04-12-2010, 02:43 PM)cunctas_haereses Wrote: [ -> ]If she's a Catholic then I'm a Zoroastrian. What a self-important shrew.

No wonder Michael Douglas dumped her years ago.

When the Catholic Church starts beheading women for adultery, among other things, then she would have something resembling a point. Until then, she can continue on in the NY Times' tradition of Catholic bashing, as well as joining her local Episcopalian or Unitarian church.

She is reason # 48301 why left wing broads will never have a clue, and will die old and alone. Further proof why I've had no use for the NY Times since my puppy became a dog. Boycott that rag.
(04-12-2010, 05:03 PM)timoose Wrote: [ -> ]Has any one ever seen der fartmeister do anything but start a thread with some liberal drivel? Can you type?? Can you only cut and paste?
tim

Well, I'm not on here much, but I haven't seen him do any of the above, but I'd add another category:

Has anyone ever seen fartmeister do anything but start a thread with some liberal drivel that in some way denigrates the Church?

My answer is "No."

I can see why he calls himself fartmeister, though ...
(04-12-2010, 05:22 PM)CrusaderKing Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-12-2010, 02:43 PM)cunctas_haereses Wrote: [ -> ]If she's a Catholic then I'm a Zoroastrian. What a self-important shrew.

No wonder Michael Douglas dumped her years ago.

When the Catholic Church starts beheading women for adultery, among other things, then she would have something resembling a point. Until then, she can continue on in the NY Times' tradition of Catholic bashing, as well as joining her local Episcopalian or Unitarian church.

She is reason # 48301 why left wing broads will never have a clue, and will die old and alone. Further proof why I've had no use for the NY Times since my puppy became a dog. Boycott that rag.

+1
(04-12-2010, 05:23 PM)HolySouls Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone ever seen fartmeister do anything but start a thread with some liberal drivel that in some way denigrates the Church?

To be fair, he did post an article a while back on a 101 y.o. Chinese grandmother who grew a horn on the right side of her forehead...
http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...092.0.html

The article also states that Dragon Lady is a mother of seven. One hopes, given all the enigmatic symbolism, this story was posted in subtle criticism of the interminable Apocalypse / "3rd Secret" discussion on FE of late, in which case I owe Fartmeister a beer.
Pages: 1 2