FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Archbishop Burke speaks out about dissenting "nuns" and CHA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

http://krestaintheafternoon.blogspot.com...c-and.html

Archbishop Burke cites “public and obstinate betrayal of religious life” by Catholic Nuns who supported Health Care Reform Bill

This weekend Archbishop Raymond Burke spoke at three-day conference put on by the Institute on Religious Life and was awarded the Pro Fidelitate et Virtute Award. The speech he delivered on Saturday was biting - even by Archbishop Burke standards. He called out the nuns who publicly supported the pro-abortion health care bill with phrases such as "public and obstinate betrayal of religious life," "defiance of the bishops," "contradicts their very nature," "knowingly and obstinately acting against the moral law,"grave scandal," and "cease identifying themselves as Catholics."

Among the most poignant statements are:

(Today we are) "overshadowed by the public and obstinate betrayal of religious life by certain religious. Who ever could have imagined that religious congregations of pontifical right, would openly organize to resist and attempt to frustrate an apostolic visitation, that is, a visit to their congregations carried out under the authority of the vicar of Christ on earth, to whom all religious are bound by the strongest bonds of loyalty and obedience?"

"The spiritual harm done to the individual religious who are disobedient and also the grave scandal caused to the faithful and people in general are of incalculable dimensions."

"Now is the time for us all, and in particular for consecrated persons to stand up for the truth and to call upon our fellow Catholics and leadership to do the same, or to cease identifying themselves as Catholics."
Look for more on this story this afternoon on "Kresta in the Afternoon." A full written transcript is forthcoming.

UPDATE: You can read the transcript here.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/29805474/Archb...stinate-be trayal-of-religious

glad someone has some backbone, I wish more bishops would follow his lead
I think it's especially interesting that this is getting on Al Kresta's radio show.  More Catholics need to hear this kind of thing so they stop sending their money to these frauds.
I wonder what he means about applying proper sanctions?  What would they look like and what dept of the Vatican has the authority to do so?
(04-13-2010, 04:45 PM)MaterLaeta Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder what he means about applying proper sanctions?  What would they look like and what dept of the Vatican has the authority to do so?

The Pope could suppress their orders and have them thrown out on the street.  That seems like a good idea.
(04-13-2010, 06:52 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-13-2010, 04:45 PM)MaterLaeta Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder what he means about applying proper sanctions?  What would they look like and what dept of the Vatican has the authority to do so?

The Pope could suppress their orders and have them thrown out on the street.  That seems like a good idea.
Yeah that sound like a great idea, but I wouldn't hold my breath :( but I will pray that the Pope has the strength and courage to do what is best for the church as far as consecrated religious goes :pray:
Burke would make a great Pope.
Archbishop Burke would make a great pope and what he says in this address, although unfortunate, is true.  However, I read a provocative comment on the lefty NCRonline stating something like this:  "how dare the Vatican visit American nuns while ignoring the rot in the priesthood that is sexual abuse"?  Of course, the Vatican sent visitators to seminaries a few years ago, but they were given the heads up before hand.  I was told that those in authority at the seminaries painted a great picture, complete with seminarians dressed in cassocks in some cases, to hoodwink the visitators.  The Vatican needs to do something about "the filth" and quick.  Sending guilty clerics to cushy jobs in Rome isn't the answer.
The Holy Inquisition coupled with the strong secular arm of catholic states would solve a lot of problems in the Church.
No American will ever be Pope, unfortunately.