FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Five myths about the Catholic sexual abuse scandal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

By David Gibson
Sunday, April 18, 2010

they didn't get it all right but for the Washington Post, it's a start.  three out of the five myths are really myths, imo.

the myths, according to Gibson, are:

1. Pope Benedict is the primary culprit in the coverup of the abuse scandal.

2. Gay priests are to blame.

3. Sexual abuse is more pervasive in the Catholic Church than in other institutions.

4. Media outlets are biased against the Catholic Church.

5. The crisis will compel U.S. Catholics to leave the church.

i could agree that gay priests are not solely to blame but they are largely to blame, despite the writer's claims to the contrary.  and i don't buy that the media's coverage of John Paul II's funeral or Benedict XVI's trip to the US balance out their negative coverage.  they love to show pageantry.  they also love dirty laundry, but not when it involves a rabbi. 

if you're interested, you can do online chat with Gibson tomorrow, Monday the 19th.

David Gibson is the author of "The Rule of Benedict: Pope Benedict XVI and his Battle with the Modern World." He covers religion for PoliticsDaily.com. He will be online on Monday, April 19, to chat with readers. Submit your questions and comments before or during the discussion.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/con...026_2.html

David Gibson sucks that book of his Benedict XVI and his battle with the modern world is all about how backwards BXVI is and how he needs to ordain married men and women except birth control and further liberalize the Church. I am surprised he doesnt think this is the Popes fault like most dissidents.
(04-18-2010, 11:03 PM)Baskerville Wrote: [ -> ]David Gibson sucks that book of his Benedict XVI and his battle with the modern world is all about how backwards BXVI is and how he needs to ordain married men and women except birth control and further liberalize the Church. I am surprised he doesnt think this is the Popes fault like most dissidents.

interesting that he was as fair as he was then.
(04-18-2010, 11:05 PM)i.p.i. Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-18-2010, 11:03 PM)Baskerville Wrote: [ -> ]David Gibson sucks that book of his Benedict XVI and his battle with the modern world is all about how backwards BXVI is and how he needs to ordain married men and women except birth control and further liberalize the Church. I am surprised he doesnt think this is the Popes fault like most dissidents.

interesting that he was as fair as he was then.

I know its very surprising. Could be he just doesnt like the Popes traditional leanings but still sees some of the truth.

next time i feel like changing my sig line, i'm stealing yours, ok?
(04-18-2010, 11:16 PM)i.p.i. Wrote: [ -> ]next time i feel like changing my sig line, i'm stealing yours, ok?

Go for it the more people asking for the Angelic Pastor (PIUS XII) intercession the better. :pray:
(04-18-2010, 10:52 PM)i.p.i. Wrote: [ -> ]1. Pope Benedict is the primary culprit in the coverup of the abuse scandal. NO, he is not

2. Gay priests are to blame.  The actual homosexuality is wrong, and partly responsible for this crisis too

3. Sexual abuse is more pervasive in the Catholic Church than in other institutions. No, it is about half as deep

4. Media outlets are biased against the Catholic Church. Yes, the media is anit-catholic. The Catholic Church as large and well organized institution is an obstacle for the media-cracy

5. The crisis will compel U.S. Catholics to leave the church. The 2002 crisis ddi not do that, neither this will.
(04-19-2010, 06:06 AM)glgas Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-18-2010, 10:52 PM)i.p.i. Wrote: [ -> ]1. Pope Benedict is the primary culprit in the coverup of the abuse scandal. NO, he is not

2. Gay priests are to blame.  The actual homosexuality is wrong, and partly responsible for this crisis too

3. Sexual abuse is more pervasive in the Catholic Church than in other institutions. No, it is about half as deep

4. Media outlets are biased against the Catholic Church. Yes, the media is anit-catholic. The Catholic Church as large and well organized institution is an obstacle for the media-cracy

5. The crisis will compel U.S. Catholics to leave the church. The 2002 crisis ddi not do that, neither this will.

it's not surprising that the media won't admit their bias ("myth" # 4) or that they insist homosexuals are not the problem ("myth" # 2) since they've bought into the homosexual agenda for years, but you would think they would have learned by now that myth #5 truly is a myth. 

we don't belong to the Church because of her priests but because of our faith in the Lord.  we're disappointed and sometimes angry at immoral and amoral priests and bishops but our faith goes deeper than trusting in fallible men, including the pope, who is not infallible except when he states a newly defined dogma.  papal infallibility is a concept that most who aren't Catholic refuse to understand, no matter how many times we Catholics patiently explain it.  it's amazing how strongly people resist understanding the concept and continue to insist "The pope is only a man so he makes mistakes like anyone else," as if we believed popes cannot be wrong or sin. 

the media will always be able to find a few people who are leaving the Church "because of" a scandal.  what the media rarely does is in-depth questioning.  they get their sound bite from someone who says he is leaving the Church "because of" a scandal and they don't ask "how often have you been attending Mass in the past two years?" or  "do you accept the Church's teachings?" or "had you thought about leaving the Church before the recent scandal?"  anyone who leaves the Church because of a scandal was likely thinking about leaving beforehand and the scandal simply gave an acceptable excuse for their loss of faith.

what's important is that the Church remains God's Church, where He is truly present in the Eucharist.  clergy who sin or make human mistakes don't take anything away from the power of the Eucharist.  while the clergy may disappoint us, Jesus is always there for us, present in the Eucharist, present in our lives if we allow Him to be there.