FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Blessed James Duckett and EENS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In reading about Blessed James Duckett, who was martyred for having Catholic books, he said upon his death that it was impossible for anyone to be saved outside the Catholic Church just as it was impossible for anyone to be saved outside Noah's Ark.

If only the Pope , the Bishops, Priests and Laity believed as Blessed James Duckett did ,there would be a whole new attitude in the church and missionaries(remember them) saving pagans and the pagan babies and every human creature. :pray2:
Yeah, this a Biblical analogy from 1 Peter 3:20-21 (Baptism of course being the door to the Church) very popular among the Fathers. The CCC cites a coupleFathers on this:

CCC Wrote:845  To reunite all his children, scattered and led astray by sin, the Father willed to call the whole of humanity together into his Son's Church. The Church is the place where humanity must rediscover its unity and salvation. The Church is "the world reconciled." She is that bark which "in the full sail of the Lord's cross, by the breath of the Holy Spirit, navigates safely in this world." According to another image dear to the Church Fathers, she is prefigured by Noah's ark, which alone saves from the flood.334

334 St. Augustine, Serm. 96,7,9:PL 38,588; St. Ambrose, De virg. 18 118:PL 16,297B; cf. already 1 Pet 3:20-21.

St. Jerome puts it succinctly in this letter to Pope St. Damasus I:

St. Jerome Wrote:As I follow no leader save Christ, so I communicate with none but your blessedness, that is with the chair of Peter. For this, I know, is the rock on which the church is built! This is the house where alone the paschal lamb  can be rightly eaten. This is the ark of Noah, and he who is not found in it shall perish when the flood prevails.
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/3001015.htm

As an aside, the above letter as a whole is pretty fascinating as St. Jerome says he is willing to submit to a new creed (superseding the Nicene) or a new formula using novel language if decreed by the Pope even though he argues it to be a really, really bad idea that will lead to all sorts of heresies being spread.