FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Francisco Franco was a hero.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(05-02-2010, 02:06 AM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: [ -> ]Well, his actions didn't have any long term benefits, so I think it was all for naught.

i don't think that's his fault, though. 

If we were to apply that line of thinking to life in general, our Lord died on the cross for us, and look at us now...
(05-02-2010, 02:10 AM)Texican Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2010, 02:06 AM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: [ -> ]Well, his actions didn't have any long term benefits, so I think it was all for naught.

If we were to apply that line of thinking to life in general, our Lord died on the cross for us, and look at us now...

Well, like I wrote earlier, the primary motivation for all he did was nationalism, not for the faith. He did all that mainly for his belief in "Spain" and so he could get the titles and cushy palaces.

"Its good to be the king".
(05-02-2010, 02:11 AM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: [ -> ]Well, like I wrote earlier, the primary motivation for all he did was nationalism, not for the faith. He did all that mainly for his belief in "Spain" and so he could get the titles and cushy palaces.

Yeah, it is good to be the king, but it's not always about ulterior motives - do you really know what he was thinking at the time?
(05-02-2010, 02:14 AM)Texican Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2010, 02:11 AM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: [ -> ]Well, like I wrote earlier, the primary motivation for all he did was nationalism, not for the faith. He did all that mainly for his belief in "Spain" and so he could get the titles and cushy palaces.

Yeah, it is good to be the king, but it's not always about ulterior motives - do you really know what he was thinking at the time?

I know his actions.
(05-02-2010, 02:24 AM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: [ -> ]I know his actions.

but you said:
Herr_Mannelig Wrote:Well, his actions didn't have any long term benefits, so I think it was all for naught.

Once again, I repeat: Franco's enemies had managed to murder over 20% of all Catholic clergy in Spain in a mere three years time. Yes, Spain has become another liberal, progressive Western nation, but it most certainly was spared of the Spanish equivalent of the Reign of Terror that would have certainly ensued had Franco and his forces failed. This is undeniable and only a simpleton would consider this achievement as "all for naught".

In Corde Regis Christi,
Joshua
(05-02-2010, 02:26 AM)Texican Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2010, 02:24 AM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: [ -> ]I know his actions.

but you said:

Yes. His actions involved banning languages other than Spanish, banning non Spanish sports, promoting Spanish sports, instituting the monarchy (but naming no monarch, although he gave himself everything associated with it...) and other things which benefited him.
(05-02-2010, 02:32 AM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: [ -> ]Yes. His actions involved banning languages other than Spanish, banning non Spanish sports, promoting Spanish sports, instituting the monarchy (but naming no monarch, although he gave himself everything associated with it...) and other things which benefited him.

Castillian, Mr. Mann., not Spanish.

did I really just say that?!

Oh well,  you're free to believe whatever you wish.  I'd still side with Franco, over the Republicans, even though I'm partial the Catalans.
(05-02-2010, 02:27 AM)Joshua Wrote: [ -> ]Once again, I repeat: Franco's enemies had managed to murder over 20% of all Catholic clergy in Spain in a mere three years time. Yes, Spain has become another liberal, progressive Western nation, but it most certainly was spared of the Spanish equivalent of the Reign of Terror that would have certainly ensued had Franco and his forces failed. This is undeniable and only a simpleton would consider this achievement as "all for naught".

Well, yes, other people did bad things too. One bad thing is not an excuse for another.

(05-02-2010, 02:10 AM)Texican Wrote: [ -> ]

Don't know about you Texican, but I'm not so bad. ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9