FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Having to do with cussing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I remember one time someone I know used a supposed quote from Christ to justify the use of cuss words. The person said that Christ said a bad word when He said something like "coming out from every orifice." Does Christ even say something like that in any of the Gospels though, and if so, where could I find that particular verse and passage? What is the real interpretation of the passage too since I am trying to refute that Christ actually cussed?
First, what do you mean by "cussing." That is a slang word for cursing..or do you mean "four letter words." Or do you mean vulgar speech? They are all different. If you are implying Our Lord used a word equivalent to a common four-letter word for relieving oneself, you're probably mistaken. What he said might be more the equivalent of something "stinking to the high heavens" or something like that. I know the quote you mean, but I don't know the exact chapter and verse. Maybe if you post it, someone can look it up in a concordance.

Christina
I mean using four letter words kind of cursing. And one of my questions was where could I find that passage?
       My history teacher, who strangely has abandoned the Catholic Religion, once said something interesting which has stayed with me. He said that if one really and truly believes that God became man, and died for our sins, and if a believer does choose to sin, then they are, aahhhmmm, rectums. He stated it so plainly that is has many times deterred me from sinning....
I have a tough one iwth this, esp in traffic and dealing with--well--some people with no common sense.

I try to avoid all foul language, but occ use a word-not God's name-that is less then dignified.

Most American Baptist grandfather never, ever swore at all. He and grandma wer some of the best Christians- if not Catholics
"But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall render an account for it in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned." (Matt. 12:36-37)

"But shun profane and vain babblings: for they grow much towards ungodliness." (2 Tim. 2:16)

"But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not so much as be named among you, as becometh saints: Or obscenity or foolish talking or scurrility, which is to no purpose: but rather giving of thanks." (Eph. 5:3-4)

"But now put you also all away: anger, indignation, malice, blasphemy, filthy speech out of your mouth." (Col. 3:8)

"But according to him that hath called you, who is holy, be you also in all manner of conversation holy." (1 Pet. 1:15)

"Even so the tongue is indeed a little member and boasteth great things. Behold how small a fire kindleth a great wood. And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is placed among our members, which defileth the whole body and inflameth the wheel of our nativity, being set on fire by hell. For every nature of beasts and of birds and of serpents and of the rest is tamed and hath been tamed, by the nature of man. But the tongue no man can tame, an unquiet evil, full of deadly poison. By it we bless God and the Father: and by it we curse men who are made after the likeness of God. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be." (Jas. 3:5-10)

"Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. 4 Incline not my heart to evil words; to make excuses in sins." (Ps. 140:3-4)