FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: History Question:Has anything like what happened after Vatican II happen before?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In the True Church,if it happens in the Orthodox,Anglican or protestants I don''t much care,my interest is in The Holy and Apostolic Catholic Church.

It doesn't have to be exactly like this,just any period where the church had this sort of Confusion and mayhem
In a different way, during the times of the anti-Popes there was probably more wide-spread confusion.  Also, with what St. Athanasius battled.

You have to realize that most Catholics today aren't confused in the sense you mean.  They go to the local Novus Ordo and all is well.  It's only when one starts reading about the "good old days" and some theology that one realizes all hell has broken loose.  That's when you get the sense of confusion.

Ignorance is bliss and all that.
(05-13-2010, 11:19 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]Ignorance is bliss and all that.

And, perhaps, is ignorance a means to salvation?
(05-13-2010, 11:19 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]In a different way, during the times of the anti-Popes there was probably more wide-spread confusion.  Also, with what St. Athanasius battled.

You have to realize that most Catholics today aren't confused in the sense you mean.  They go to the local Novus Ordo and all is well.  It's only when one starts reading about the "good old days" and some theology that one realizes all hell has broken loose.  That's when you get the sense of confusion.

Ignorance is bliss,I wish I never studied the bible in the first place,stupidity seems so perfect lol.

Anti-pope,in relations to "Opposite the pope" or in the Sedevacantist use of "A false pope"?
I think Michael Davies pointed out a lot of similarities in the goals of the protestant reformation and what ended up happening with the council in his books.
(05-13-2010, 11:24 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-13-2010, 11:19 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]Ignorance is bliss and all that.

And, perhaps, is ignorance a means to salvation?

Not willful ignorance nor is ignorance due to a lack of concern about the faith.  God expects us to try.

Even invincible ignorance is not a "means to salvation" - God's mercy on those who suffer it, can be, however.
(05-13-2010, 11:31 AM)St.Ambrose Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-13-2010, 11:19 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]In a different way, during the times of the anti-Popes there was probably more wide-spread confusion.  Also, with what St. Athanasius battled.

Ignorance is bliss,I wish I never studied the bible in the first place,stupidity seems so perfect lol.

Anti-pope,in relations to "Opposite the pope" or in the Sedevacantist use of "A false pope"?

Anti-pope means a false pope.  There have been several throughout the history of the Church, not all of them malicious.
(05-13-2010, 11:43 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-13-2010, 11:31 AM)St.Ambrose Wrote: [ -> ]

Anti-pope means a false pope.  There have been several throughout the history of the Church, not all of them malicious.

But there always has to be a true pope,correct?Since Jesus told peter that he will be the rock in which holds the church under christ.Right?
There was a failed council before.  Don't remember the particulars.  It was over the "letters".  Half of Europe went into schism over it.  The Church just let it die and healed the schism.

As far as confusion in the Church, that has happened many times as posted above.  Great Western Schism  and the great aryan heresy are analogs for today.
It's not the same thing, but I think there are parallels with the Second Council of Ephesus.
Pages: 1 2