FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Practicalities of scapular wear
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Are there any norms regarding when to take it off?
During bathing I presume, but when else? Sleep? Swimming? Exercising?
Thanks,
David

It's not magic.  Take it off when you need to, the promises still apply if you wear it faithfully and fulfill the conditions.
(05-16-2010, 10:33 PM)Fractus Wrote: [ -> ]Are there any norms regarding when to take it off?
During bathing I presume, but when else? Sleep? Swimming? Exercising?
Thanks,
David
Not sure officially, but this is what I do:

I take it off only to shower, ONLY to shower. I guess I could leave it on then too, but I never have. I hang it on the door knob and it's the last thing off and the first thing on.

I don't swim so no problem there, I don't see why you'd need to take it off to exercise or sleep? I might have to take it off if I had surgery, I've heard that they make you take everything off to go under the knife, though I don't know it that's true or not.
(05-16-2010, 10:38 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]It's not magic.  Take it off when you need to, the promises still apply if you wear it faithfully and fulfill the conditions.
very true.
I like to leave it on especially when it's uncomfortable, I can use all the penance I can get ;D
I even keep mine on in the shower, seems a good way to keep it clean.  Sure my shirt will generally be a bit wet for a while after, but that's not really a problem - especially on days I work since I have on an undershirt and my outer shirt itself doesn't get wet at all.
(05-16-2010, 10:40 PM)RalphKramden Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-16-2010, 10:38 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]It's not magic.  Take it off when you need to, the promises still apply if you wear it faithfully and fulfill the conditions.
very true.
I like to leave it on especially when it's uncomfortable, I can use all the penance I can get ;D

Right.  But to clarify, if one were to live a good Catholic life, pray the rosary daily and fulfill the other conditions of wearing the scapular and if one were to die while, say, swimming without the scapular, the promises would still apply.  I don't think God or our Blessed Mother are legalists....at least not in this case.
(05-16-2010, 10:44 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]
very true.

Right.  But to clarify, if one were to live a good Catholic life, pray the rosary daily and fulfill the other conditions of wearing the scapular and if one were to die while, say, swimming without the scapular, the promises would still apply.  I don't think God or our Blessed Mother are legalists....at least not in this case.
I agree, but if I may be a pain in your rear:
Why would you need to take it off to swim?
(05-16-2010, 10:44 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]if one were to die while, say, swimming without the scapular, the promises would still apply.
I'm going to die in the shower because of this LOL
It would seem to me the intention would be most important - living a holy life is the foundation upon which such sacramentals build.  Ask yourself if there's really need to take it off.  If there is, then do so and don't worry about it; if there's not a real need to remove the scapular, then why remove it?
(05-16-2010, 10:46 PM)RalphKramden Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-16-2010, 10:44 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]
very true.

I agree, but if I may be a pain in your rear:
Why would you need to take it off to swim?

You ever smell wet wool mixed with sweat on a hot, muggy summer day?  Bleh.  The scapular in the shower folks may have built up immunity to the smell, but believe me, the rest of us haven't.
Pages: 1 2 3