FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Foreigner teaching foreign children Catholicism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I currently teach English in a language school here in South Korea. Two days ago, I accidentally left my rosary in my hoodie's pocket (yeah, we're pretty casual here) and it so happened that my students heard the rosary beads "clink" (chink? jingle? tinkle?). It's a very small class in a very small classroom, so they heard it and were immediately curious. They're 4th graders, so there's no appeasing them til they see the mystery item.

I whipped out my rosary and they were all "Oh, I know that. Church. Pray." I said "Yes, this is a Rosary. I'm Catholic." "Christian?" "Yes."

One of my students, a little girl, raised her hand (with a big smile on her face) and said, "I go to temple, teacher." Right then, it dawned to me that this child, among millions of other Koreans, will grow up being Buddhist or some other variety of Eastern religion. Some might find themselves "Christian" as they grow up, but judging by the number of Protestant sects here, they are so lucking out if they end up in the Catholic Church (for each Catholic church I see, there are at least three or four Protestant churches within a quarter of a mile).

My problem is this then... do I share the good news to my students? With the relative language barrier between us, it could even be trickier. Their parents barely speak English and I have no Korean co-worker who is Catholic (some are "Christian," yet they only see that all sects are the same regardless). How should I go about this? Shrug
how much Korean can you speak?

Pray hard (using that rosary) first and perhaps try to bring up morals and ethics during a conversation? This quite often leads to a discussion on faith, judging from my experience of a friend who teaches biology in a secular school (where talking about religion is off-grounds). He talks about the beauty of purity and chastity of instance and his class realises that these doctrines which they find beautiful and even reasonable are Catholic.

I have never tried evangelising to those whom I have influence over so i can say very little. Pray for me that I will have more zeal and be less shy
(05-18-2010, 09:54 PM)karyn_anne Wrote: [ -> ]how much Korean can you speak?

I can order food and that's about it. I agree with you... the Rosary is the answer!
I live in South Korea as well. I think you don't have to be uncomfortable about sharing your faith with the children, as there is not the anti-religious bias in South Korea, like there is in North America or Europe. As you know Christmas and Budhah's birthday are days off and people are always praying before meals in public etc. Not to mention the die-hard Lutherans that yell on the street, "Believe in Jesus or go to hell!"
(Yes who would ever think Lutherans were that passionate)..
I actually have a small statue of Our Lady on my desk and picture of Our Lord too and no one says anything. In Canada, they would have fired me by now no doubt.
Rather than try and teach religion in class, I would take a different approach. Simply give the children some very fancy and traditional saint holy cards. Especially of Our Lady.
As when I was a child, these pictures have the ability to fascinate young minds and it might plant a seed for exploration later in life.
I think you can get some nice holy cards at the gift shop next to Myeong-dong Cathedral.
Good luck~
Missionaries in the old times taught people by pictures before they learned the language. The secrets on the Rosary illustrated by pictures may be a good intro to our faith.