FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Altar Boy Garb - Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sacristans & altar boys at our parish wear black cassocks (? ok, maybe not technically a cassock, but it looks like one) with the white surplice.  OK, got that.

But one, and it's only this one kid, wears the black cassock with a red cord for a belt.

Anyone know why?
To hold his britches up?    ;)

Weak, I know.  Sorry. 

Actually, I've not a clue as to why.
Best guess would be that his cassock is too big, so he wears a borrowed cincture to keep from tripping. Hopefully under the surplice.

There's no significance to it. Although I'd personally like to see more churches use a fuller dress ensemble for their acolytes: cassock, full-length apparrelled alb and amice, with a cincture that matches the liturgical colour of the day But it's probably never gonna happen..
I'll ask his mom.

:laughing:

honestly, those alter boys are almost always all brothers in the same family, so somebody should know.

:)
(05-23-2010, 04:38 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]Best guess would be that his cassock is too big, so he wears a borrowed cincture to keep from tripping. Hopefully under the surplice.

There's no significance to it. Although I'd personally like to see more churches use a fuller dress ensemble for their acolytes: cassock, full-length apparrelled alb and amice, with a cincture that matches the liturgical colour of the day But it's probably never gonna happen..

I too sympathize, HK, with the more "gothic" approach, but I think many traditionalists would be irked by the sights of servers in albs and gothic/conical chasubles as they have become so associated with the NO. A pity ...  :(

[Image: pictured17.jpg]
(05-23-2010, 05:32 PM)libby Wrote: [ -> ]I'll ask his mom.

honestly, those alter boys are almost always all brothers in the same family, so somebody should know.

Fine, do it the easy way!!  :laughing:
What is the significance of a red cassock on an altar boy?

At an SSPX church I attend, some altar boys were a red cord around their necks, which I think is to signify they are more advanced than the others. I suppose the red cord around the waist might signify that as well.
(05-23-2010, 05:32 PM)libby Wrote: [ -> ]I'll ask his mom.

you are so right there!

these three brothers serve with me every sunday if they aren't with me in the sanctuary there are in the choir singing  :laughing:
(05-23-2010, 03:39 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: [ -> ]Sacristans & altar boys at our parish wear black cassocks (? ok, maybe not technically a cassock, but it looks like one) with the white surplice.  OK, got that.

But one, and it's only this one kid, wears the black cassock with a red cord for a belt.

Anyone know why?

I heard it's because it is Pentecost
Pages: 1 2