FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Stalking a sin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello all

In your opinion is Stalking a sin? My local Priest said this was so because we offend the person by stalking them, but what if the person does not know he or she is being stalked? Also because scripture, tradition and canon law do not mention stalking.

Disclaimer: I am not a stalker, although I know one!
If its not it should be....friggin creepy
(05-25-2010, 10:33 AM)KC91 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello all

In your opinion is Stalking a sin? My local Priest said this was so because we offend the person by stalking them, but what if the person does not know he or she is being stalked? Also because scripture, tradition and canon law do not mention stalking.

Yes, I think it is a sin.  Even if the person does not know he is being stalked, I think it is still an invasion of privacy.  And doing something to someone in this manner he would not want you to do if he knew about it is wrong.  It seems to me uncharitable and an offense against a neighbor.
Agreed. You could bring up the question also, is this the use God wants me to make of my time? We are, after all, accountable for all the things we did NOT do. He could be sinning against God, by neglecting his religious duties, sinning against his employer by using work hours to stalk, etc.

No. it isn't a sin by itself.

However, it can be depending on the intent. If one stalks out of a sexual desire, for example.
(05-25-2010, 04:37 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: [ -> ]

No. it isn't a sin by itself.
However, it can be depending on the intent. If one stalks out of a sexual desire, for example.
It also depends on what you are stalking.  Animals, for example, are acceptable to stalk for the purpose of hunting.
Especially human-like whales and dolphins.

Also, I personally would recommend against stalking people.  It generally isn't received well.
What about spying? Like spying for your country?

(05-25-2010, 04:40 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: [ -> ]Also, I personally would recommend against stalking people.  It generally isn't received well.

Sometimes they think it is endearing.

We all have different levels of social skills and maybe this is our way of being nice?

Seriously, a problem here is the definition of "stalking". It generally refers to criminal conduct and the wording of the statutes require it to be "malicious" or to have criminal intent. So, a private investigator is not a stalker under the laws about this subject.

So, by itself, stalking in the strictest sense cannot be a sin. It is all about intent. If the intent is sinful, then the act is sinful.
Stalking is generally accepted to mean repetitive behaviour to a person that the person finds harrasing. In the United States the definition of stalking is at least two weeks of harrasment in which the victim feels threatened.
(05-25-2010, 10:25 PM)KC91 Wrote: [ -> ]Stalking is generally accepted to mean repetitive behaviour to a person that the person finds harrasing. In the United States the definition of stalking is at least two weeks of harrasment in which the victim feels threatened.

Well that would be some sort of sin against the 5th Commandment, but probably mitigated by the mental illness of the stalker. 
Pages: 1 2 3