FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Three issues from the bible (new testament) that I never understood
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1-
I can guarantee this truth: Whoever gives any of my humble followers a cup of cold water because that person is my disciple will certainly never lose his reward."

Imagine a christian is being persecuted by the romans, the christian tries to escape through a desert, after 2 days he is dying of thirst, some pagan desert nomad finds him, has compassion for him, gives water to the christian and guides him out of the desert.

Later the pagan dies and goes to hell for being a pagan. What does reward mean for someone who is going to hell? being tortured less? going to limbo?

2-For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

Does this mean that in a marriage between an unbeliever and a believer, the unbeliever can go to heaven, because of the believer?

3-  And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him. 3 And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you? And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away.  And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.

Is Jesus saying that the part of Leviticus which refered to Divorce is not divinely inspired but something Moses just wrote out of pragmatism? Why could Abraham, Isaac or Salomon marry many women?

Those 3 things had been bothering me lately
(05-25-2010, 04:48 PM)justlurking Wrote: [ -> ]1-
I can guarantee this truth: Whoever gives any of my humble followers a cup of cold water because that person is my disciple will certainly never lose his reward."

Imagine a christian is being persecuted by the romans, the christian tries to escape through a desert, after 2 days he is dying of thirst, some pagan desert nomad finds him, has compassion for him, gives water to the christian and guides him out of the desert.

Later the pagan dies and goes to hell for being a pagan. What does reward mean for someone who is going to hell? being tortured less? going to limbo?
Maybe pagans of such character are given a special place outside Heaven.

However, the reward does not mean automatic salvation. It could be extra grace, or the remission of some sins. It is still up to the individual's choice.

Maybe it is more personal. The reward of helping another in this way because they are Christian is a better opportunity to convert.

Quote:2-For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

Does this mean that in a marriage between an unbeliever and a believer, the unbeliever can go to heaven, because of the believer?
No. Parents have no such influence in the salvation of a person. It seems to mean that they can be considered married in the Church if one of them believes, or that the child can be considered to have been raised in the faith because of one parent. It seems to mean that parents do not strictly need to be believers, as long as they are properly living as ones married.

Quote:3-  And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him. 3 And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you? And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away.  And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.

Is Jesus saying that the part of Leviticus which refered to Divorce is not divinely inspired but something Moses just wrote out of pragmatism? Why could Abraham, Isaac or Salomon marry many women?
I think he is saying it was a necessary part of the law given the imperfect circumstances.

Maybe the same circumstances were in play for those, or perhaps they were in the wrong but didn't know better.

Quote:Those 3 things had been bothering me lately
You are lucky :)
(05-25-2010, 04:48 PM)justlurking Wrote: [ -> ]1-

2-For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

3-  And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him. 3 And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you? And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away.  And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.

Those 3 things had been bothering me lately

Well one number 1, that pagan can lose their reward.  The quote is about someone that gives one of Christ's follower a cup of cold water because the man is a disciple of Christ.  It's about intent and motivation.  The whole quote isn't about giving people water.  It's about charity and how even small acts done with great love have great reward.

Number 3, divorce was allowed because the people weren't up to it.  But, keep in mind two things: One, marriage was not raised to the state of a sacrament at that time.  Two, the help of the Holy Ghost had not been given to them.  So it's pretty understandable then.  God gave them a bit of break here, but he also expected them to not eat bacon.  It kind of evens out I think.