FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Curing temptations?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, I'm reading Catherine Anne Emmerich's book "The Life of Jesus Christ and Biblical Revelations" Volume III (pg 170-171), and I must say, I haven't been so involved in pouring through a work like this since when I was a young kid readin' the Bible.  Love it to death.  I'll likely talk about it a lot in more posts.

So, I come across this passage that describes one of many times Christ is curing people:

"He performed some cures both in the houses and before the synagogue, cured being mostly of the working class.  There were cripples, consumptives, paralytics, and simpletons, also others disturbed by certain temptations."

And so, a question arises.  Is it possible to have temptations cured from our lives?  Addictions and what not?  I was not aware until today that such a thing was something that could be "cured."  I thought that people had to work through psychological trials and tribulations to master temptation. 

But hey!  If temptations can be cured, sign me up!

(Also...simpletons can be cured of being simpletons?  What is a simpleton, according to Emmerich, I wonder.)

(05-26-2010, 09:26 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: [ -> ]And so, a question arises.  Is it possible to have temptations cured from our lives?  Addictions and what not?  I was not aware until today that such a thing was something that could be "cured."  I thought that people had to work through psychological trials and tribulations to master temptation. 

But hey!  If temptations can be cured, sign me up!
Of course. Most physical ailments are "cured" with biological processes too (or not at all).

However, a trial (physical, mental or spiritual) is allowed to happen to us for a reason. Sometimes that reason is for us to seek the grace of God in healing it. We pray for God to help us avoid temptations in the Our Father for instance.

Quote:(Also...simpletons can be cured of being simpletons?  What is a simpleton, according to Emmerich, I wonder.)
Was this work translated and if it was, when?

It could just refer to mental issues, such as retardation or autism.
[quote='Herr_Mannelig' pid='569301' dateline='1274924144']

Was this work translated and if it was, when?

(late 1800's)

It could just refer to mental issues, such as retardation or autism.

(Yeah this is probably what it means judging from when it was translated.)
The Imitation of Christ says that temptations never stop as long as we live. There is a constant cycle between times of temptation and times of consolation. Some particularly strong attacks against us can be cured, according to the lives of the saints. A particular temptation can even be stopped for good. St. Benedict was cured once and for all from a temptation after he threw himself into a thorn bush. St. Thomas Aquinas was "cured" forever from the temptations of the flesh after he tried to kill the prostitute with a poker when his relatives hired her to seduce him.
Yes, definitely. Carry a small crucifix in your pocket and look at it when you're feeling tempted. Also if your temptations have an opposing virtue (lust-chastity, pride-humility) then meditate on and pray for it frequently.
I heard a story about a monk and his abbott. The monk was bothered because he always had temptations... so he went to the abbott and asked "when will it ever stop?" The abbott said, "Around three days after you die."  LOL I guess it really will stay until we die...

Still, God grants some very special graces, such as the mystical belt given to St. Thomas Aquinas... the dumb ox was free of temptations!
The best way to combat temptations is give in to them. lol.  We are all sinners.  Temptation isn't a sin, giving in to them is.
(05-27-2010, 01:58 AM)charlesh Wrote: [ -> ]St. Thomas Aquinas was "cured" forever from the temptations of the flesh after he tried to kill the prostitute with a poker when his relatives hired her to seduce him.

I'm not sure St. Thomas was trying to kill the woman.  I've always interpreted this story as him trying to scare her so she'd leave.

As for killing temptations, I think we suffer them throughout our lives unless we're shown special grace (Thomas and the girdle).
Yes easy way to cure temptations from our lives.....................call them ok and normal and act on them like the modernists do.
What about those with same-sex attractions? Do they just continue to resist lust like any other, or should they strive to overcome the unnatural attraction?
Pages: 1 2