FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Rated R
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have heard talk of various shows on FE. Some discussed have graphic sex scenes in them- the type typical of HBO. Is it sinful to watch these shows/ movies? Is it ok if it's just the bad guy being bad? Is it dependant on the viewer? If it is, what part do the actors play in this sin?
For me I always have the clicker handy, and sometimes it's sooo much I can't go back. Watching any TV I'm constantly on alert, even commercials are crap. In most cases it's the individual some can not take Mickey Mouse others are unconscious and wouldn't notice lots. It ain't like it used to be where one could plunk down any night and enjoy a couple of hours of entertainment before bed. HBO is really bad with Mahr and most other stuff.
It certainly isn't safe for kids. Gene Autrey, Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans , Skye King and Penny, The Cisco Kid and Pancho, Zorro, Bat Masterson, and the Maverick brothers all would flip in their graves.
tim
(05-27-2010, 04:02 PM)timoose Wrote: [ -> ]For me I always have the clicker handy, and sometimes it's sooo much I can't go back. Watching any TV I'm constantly on alert, even commercials are crap. In most cases it's the individual some can not take Mickey Mouse others are unconscious and wouldn't notice lots. It ain't like it used to be where one could plunk down any night and enjoy a couple of hours of entertainment before bed. HBO is really bad with Mahr and most other stuff.
It certainly isn't safe for kids. Gene Autrey, Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans , Skye King and Penny, The Cisco Kid and Pancho, Zorro, Bat Masterson, and the Maverick brothers all would flip in their graves.
tim

I hardly watch any TV anymore.. It is all garbage and  R and X rated crappola!!

The only thing I will watch is a baseball or football game, Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, EWTN or on rare occasions The Discovery or History Channel.
I would rather my kid watch Food Network rather than most kid shows.
(05-27-2010, 04:16 PM)brigadoon Wrote: [ -> ]I would rather my kid watch Food Network rather than most kid shows.

But doesn't that inspire gluttony?  LOL
(05-27-2010, 03:38 PM)verenaerin Wrote: [ -> ]I have heard talk of various shows on FE. Some discussed have graphic sex scenes in them... Is it sinful to watch these shows/ movies?

Yes, if the usual conditions apply.
I would submit that it very much depends upon the individual. If the scene(s) cause you to begin to think sinfully or compel you to act in an inappropriate manner, then knowingly placing yourself in that situation by watching could be considered sinful. If, on the other hand, the scene(s) simply make you uncomfortable or squeamish, then viewing them would probably not be sinful as your conscience clearly understands that the scene represents something immoral and you wouldn't be inclined to sin because you viewed it. I think that would be the case of the "bad guy being bad" that you mentioned.

The way that I like to think of it is that viewing a depiction of a sinful act is not in of itself wrong. It is the impact that the viewing has on you that matters. For example, allowing a child to watch a movie depicting the Garden of Eden and the associated fall from grace would probably be a good thing despite acting out something that is clearly a sin. The hope is that the child recognizes the sin and its consequences and perhaps might even learn something. However, many HBO sex scenes would be inappropriate for the same child because the sin being recreated is of a nature that the child may not understand or perhaps be tempted by, and rarely are the negative consequences of such actions portrayed.

Just my view.
Quit TV, it's worth it.

I've gotten rid of the TV.  Not only was everything filth, but it also stopped being even mildly entertaining.
(05-27-2010, 04:27 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]Quit TV, it's worth it.

That is best advice you could have given. I haven't watched TV for a very long time. It is infectious. While I do own a TV set, I use it primarily for watching movies (...which can be a problem, too. It is always safest to stick with wholesome, religious films).
Pages: 1 2 3