FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Good Friday Traditions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know that I'm a little behind in asking this since Good Friday is long past, but I wanted to know of any special Good Friday traditions that some of you may regularly participate in. whether it be a family tradition or a part of the local culture. In my own Archdiocese of New Orleans, we have the Good Friday 9 church walk. Very interested to see what some of y'alls tradtions are.
We go to Church at 3 in the afternoon and the Priest prays the Stations of the Cross.

i've always loved New Orleans…  why don't you tell us more about the 9 church walk?

sorry i don't have any special customs to report, just the usual practices of the Church for Good Friday. 

welcome to Fisheaters!  Hi!
My own personal practice is to go to the Maronite Liturgy of the Signing of the Chalice on Good (Great) Friday.  More generally, I tend to go to the Eastern rite for my "primary" liturgies during the Easter Triduum, and then compliment those by going to a Latin rite parish for their Triduum liturgies, the Via Crucis, &c.

In Christo Rege,
    -Steven

P.S.  Welcome to Fisheaters!
The 9  church walk has been a New Orleans traditon for generations. It was started in Rome by St. Philip Neri. He started it in order to combat the revelry of Renaissance Carnival celebrations. Orignally, he would gather together groups of faithful and they would all gather at one of Rome's churches. Then at each church the group visited they would pray two stations of the cross together and then have time for private devotions in the church. At noon the group would gather for lunch. The tradition was brought to New Orleans, but did not take root as a Carnival devotion since Mardi Gras celebrations dominate that time. Anyway, the devotion takes place every Good Friday. However, it is not led as one large group. Groups from different parishes or schools will organize to go. Also there is no defined list of churches a group must visit; each group picks its own route. Although their is a more traditional route. I go with the group from St. Patrick's parish. Since we come from a tradtional parish, we prefer to visit older more traditional churches. We start at 8am at St. Stephen's, the 2nd biggest church in the archdiocese, and walk to other old churches like Immaculate Conception, the Jesuit's church, and St. Mary's Assumption, the shrine of Bl. Francis Xavier Seelos. Since it's Good Friday. At each church we visit we pray two or three stations of the cross. Our group always prays parts of the stations in Latin. We can't exactly take part in a big midday party like St. Philip's group did, but we do stop for a break let the kids eat a little something. The whole thing is usually over by noon. So that gives you three hours to walk from downtown to St. Stephen's, a two hour walk, to get the car. Then everyone head's back to their parishes for Good Friday services. All in all, it's a very nice devotion. The amount of walking can also be a good penance.
Thanks for sharing about the 9 church walk in New Orleans!  I love this sort of thing!  St. Philip's tour of churches featured 7 basilicas in Rome. 

that's a great tradition, started by a great saint.  i have been to the Jesuit church and St. Louis cathedral.
i also know where St. Jude's Shrine is but never had a chance to go in.  i love rural living but if i were going to live in a city, i would want to live in a city with many Catholic churches, and NOLA would be my first choice for an American city.

on St. Joseph's Day this year, i posted a thread with a bunch of links to sites about St. Joseph altars in New Orleans and bookmarked it so i can look it up easily next year.  check it out and add to it if you like. 

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...413.0.html

i've never been in New Orleans at that time of year but it sounds like more fun than Mardi Gras, which a friend of mine describes as a good Catholic party spoiled by protestants who don't know how to drink.  LOL  another friend said if you go out on St. Charles to watch the parades and stay out of the Quarter, you'll have a good time.  but going to New Orleans and not going to the Cafe du Monde?  why on earth would you do that?

We always fast on Good Friday, including no meat/dairy until the Resurrection...  the parish is Ukrainian Catholic, and an Icon embroidered onto a shroud is placed in a display of sorts at the altar... at the end of the service, we go up on our knees and kiss the wounds of Christ on the shroud.  During the day, no TV, radio, telephone, etc. from 12 to 3....  after this time Friday, or during the day on Holy Saturday, we would go to church for veneration/adoration in complete silence, usually an hour or so.  When I was a kid, I used to think this was like a funeral, and we were going to Jesus' wake.