FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Bp W Column: Embattled Boys
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
"ELEISON  COMMENTS  CL  (May 29, 2010) :  EMBATTLED  BOYS.

EC 146 told of the difficulty that teaching Sisters have with today's girls. EC 147 traced the problem back to the home. Now, some of you ask, what about the boys ?  Catholics know that boys and girls, as to the saving of their souls for the next life, are equal, so both must be prepared alike, first and foremost, to get to Heaven. But about there the likeness ends. God has appointed man and woman for quite different roles in this life, which is why the Church has always condemned co-education. Then what do boys specifically need ?

As woman has gifts of heart to look after home and children, so man has gifts of reason to lead them and provide for them by, ever since original sin, "the sweat of his brow" (Gen. III, 19). Therefore while a girl's formation must centre around what will serve husband and children inside the home, a boy's formation should train him for (1) work and (2) responsibility outside the home, which will usually mean, in the big bad world. There he is going to need (3) judgment, (4) self-discipline and (5) manliness. We already have quite a programme !

In this programme, the example given to a boy by his father is all-important ! Parents of today, you must have been yourselves formed 20 to 30 years ago, well after the revolutionary 1960's. Do all of you realize what that means ? Do have the humility to recognize that your own formation, in school and/or home, most likely ill prepared you to raise children so to live as to get to Heaven. Fathers, set about correcting your own indolence, irresponsibility, silliness, self-indulgence and unmanliness, and you will be doing the very best you can for your boys !

WORK outside in nature is the best. Let a boy swing an axe, cut down a tree, plant a garden, ride a horse, build a shed. Sport at best is manly recreation, but it is not meant to be any more than recreation. A genuine need of the family best teaches RESPONSIBILITY, also taught by a boy's suffering from the consequences of his own mistakes, instead of being protected from them. JUDGMENT he will learn by being encouraged to use his mind, by discussions at the family table, by the company and instruction of his father whom he naturally hero-worships and follows, but who must take time to listen to his boy and counsel him, especially in adolescence. DISCIPLINE he will learn by getting up early in the morning, by a daily routine to which he sticks, by getting early to bed, and by not dating until, more or less, he is looking to marry. The less he gives to girls he will not marry, the more he will have to give to the girl he will marry. MANLINESS will be the reward for following out such a programme.

Finally, parents, notice how electronics as a rule make a boy 1 idle, 2 irresponsible, 3 silly, 4 soft and 5 frustrated.

Cast out of the home electronics' spell,
If your boys are not to drop into Hell !

Kyrie eleison."
Oh God help us....Bishop W on education of boys and girls.

I wish he had written this

Quote:God has appointed man and woman for ... different roles in this life, ... then what do boys specifically need ?

a boy's formation should train him for (1) work and (2) responsibility outside the home, which will usually mean, in the big bad world. There he is going to need (3) judgment, (4) self-discipline and (5) manliness. We already have quite a programme !

In this programme, the example given to a boy by his father is all-important ! Parents of today, you must have been yourselves formed 20 to 30 years ago, well after the revolutionary 1960's. Do all of you realize what that means ? Do have the humility to recognize that your own formation, in school and/or home, most likely ill prepared you to raise children so to live as to get to Heaven. Fathers, set about correcting your own indolence, irresponsibility, silliness, self-indulgence and unmanliness, and you will be doing the very best you can for your boys !

WORK outside in nature is the best. Let a boy swing an axe, cut down a tree, plant a garden, ride a horse, build a shed. Sport at best is manly recreation, but it is not meant to be any more than recreation. A genuine need of the family best teaches RESPONSIBILITY, also taught by a boy's suffering from the consequences of his own mistakes, instead of being protected from them. JUDGMENT he will learn by being encouraged to use his mind, by discussions at the family table, by the company and instruction of his father whom he naturally hero-worships and follows, but who must take time to listen to his boy and counsel him, especially in adolescence. DISCIPLINE he will learn by getting up early in the morning, by a daily routine to which he sticks, by getting early to bed, and by not dating until, more or less, he is looking to marry. The less he gives to girls he will not marry, the more he will have to give to the girl he will marry. MANLINESS will be the reward for following out such a programme.

Finally, parents, notice how electronics as a rule make a boy 1 idle, 2 irresponsible, 3 silly, 4 soft and 5 frustrated.

Kyrie eleison."

Shorter...and a little better
I dunno, I think he was pretty spot on.  Where I differ from +W is that I think women should get an education for while they are single, before they join the convent, or if they need to work to help support the family.  I also think an educated mother can be a better mother as long as they don't pine for their now-ended career which is one of +W's concerns, and probably a valid one.  Smart and schooling never goes to waste.  Omnia scientia thesaurus est.  All knowledge is a treasure.  A PhD in physics will not make a woman a better mom in general, of course, but it will make her a better mom in certain ways because her mind will be trained to think like a physicist which has useful applications in real-life.

But in general I think a stay-at-home mom is best if it is possible in a given situation because I do believe in natural roles as the Church has defined them.

I agree 110% on what he says specifically about boys.

Though, I think fathers should spend some time with girls precisely because of how boys are now.  For example, I'm going to build some duck housing with my daughter so she learns how to use tools.  Why?  Because most men out there I wouldn't wish on my enemy's daughter, and I don't want her to have to depend on some video-game playing pr0n surfing idiot which is what too many young men are like these days.  They aren't "men" in the true sense of the word, and they can't be trusted to take care of +W's definition of a "true woman".

If we raised men as +W described, then women as he described wouldn't seem so impossible to me.

considering that marriage is not as viable an option for traditonal Catholic women as it was 40 to 50 years ago (going by the argument that a great number of men, even Catholic men, are bums nowadays) it is quite essential that they get a good education.

If this means going to a secular university in order to get a piece of paper then so be it...you need that paper to feed yourself and even your parents if you are going to remain single.

He's got good points about Work, Discipline, Responsibility.  Most of what he said was great advice.

But, telling people with boys to get rid of electronics in the home?  This is not a problem if there is truly Discipline in the home.

If we were to take this advice, any FE's with boys would disappear as they'd have gotten rid of their PCs to rid the home of electronics and wouldn't be able to read or post on this site.  And, we would have to wonder how the Bishop's message would even get out to those families, as he is using the internet to spread the message that people shouldn't have computers in the home.  I am presuming that this is what he means when he is saying "cast out of the home electronics' spell", which is along the same lines as his comments about getting rid of your TV.

The only argument I'd have about his advice about work for boys is that physical labor is not necessarily always the best.  Don't some boys need to go to University?  Maybe he will explain this in a later post.

(05-31-2010, 01:04 PM)calicatholic Wrote: [ -> ]The only argument I'd have about his advice about work for boys is that physical labor is not necessarily always the best.  Don't some boys need to go to University?  Maybe he will explain this in a later post.

He has explained this in more detail in his interviews with Bernard Janzen.  The "University" as we now know it, is not a place for a "good education."  The degrees are "unreal" in that they don't address living in reality and don't promote a culture based in reality.  Since God is the most important reality any University ignoring Him or spreading error about Him is going to ultimately be fatally flawed. 

The University is ideally for the man who demonstrates the potential for leadership.  Any group of random men is going to break down along the types as in a football team.  There will be very few who are quarterback material, who have the flexibility and the ability to adapt and lead other men.  There will be a greater number of men who thrive on being told to focus on one particular task and put all of their considerable energy and skill into that.  There will be a relative few who will be able to go work in both of those environments. 

Our "Universities" are the equivalent of vending machine junk food.  Overpriced, temporarily satisfying, ultimately unhealthy and pre-packaged and dehumanized.  We have no real universities and way too few real training schools and far too many people going to far too many pseudo-universities. 

What the contemporary society is doing is trying to make all men and women into quarterbacks and they are doing a very bad job of it. 

Bishop W is in favor of men developing hand skills and bringing back the apprentice system as opposed to men who are carpenters and farmers at heart instead of sitting behind desks unfulfilled and effectively neutered as men. 

(05-31-2010, 01:04 PM)calicatholic Wrote: [ -> ]But, telling people with boys to get rid of electronics in the home?  This is not a problem if there is truly Discipline in the home.

If we were to take this advice, any FE's with boys would disappear as they'd have gotten rid of their PCs to rid the home of electronics and wouldn't be able to read or post on this site.  And, we would have to wonder how the Bishop's message would even get out to those families, as he is using the internet to spread the message that people shouldn't have computers in the home. 

The Bishop believes in using what is available today but not without discretion and not without forgetting the ideal.  Having CDs or Mp3 files is a "second best" to hearing good music performed live or playing music yourself.  His view is the media can be used to promote God's message but it's not ideal.  He says, "God's media is the pulpit and the confessional"

This is consistent with his view that the SSPX is not natural but rather a reaction and the goal of the SSPX is to put itself out of business.    He'll use the media available to diminish the influence of the media on Catholics. 

It's a good strategy, God often uses His enemies weapons against them. He reaches into Egypt and pulls Moses out to end the enslavement.  He reaches into Hollywood and uses Mel Gibson to make a movie that undermines the narrative Hollywood has tried to influence "Christianity" with for decades. 

then the same people who tout no one should go to university complain that there are no good Catholic doctors, lawyers, midwives, businessmen, professors etc....
good Catholic plumbers, carpenters, farmers, cabinet makers etc.....are wonderful but they are not the sum total of a culture and economy.

Don't lament the inability to find a good Catholic family physician and then turn around and say how a trade is the only ethical option of a Catholic man.
Quote: considering that marriage is not as viable an option for traditonal Catholic women as it was 40 to 50 years ago (going by the argument that a great number of men, even Catholic men, are bums nowadays)
  What about 20 years ago?  It is certainly a more viable option than 10 to 20 years ago.  The ladies need to do their part and the men need to do theirs to get back to a Traditional family.  I also reject the notion that most Traditional young men are bums.  I am impressed by the maturity of the young men I have met.
Quote:  it is quite essential that they get a good education.
Most "educations" from a university are not good.  Yeah, if you want to be an engineer, or other technical trade, then they are required.  A young lady completing a modern home school curriculum will be more educated by far than 90% of the ladies graduating from a University.

Quote:If this means going to a secular university in order to get a piece of paper then so be it...
Even if you must blow $50K in savings and take on $50K in debt?  And also be exposed to a horrible social scene and vile anti-Catholic teachings in class?  During those 4 years, a young lady with perhaps a certificate program from community college can easily advance to $15 an hour or more, with benefits.  She will also have real world experience, and save herself the debt and horrible influences at universities.  A young lady graduating from college will likely not find a job paying this amount, and will most likely take a lower paying job.  The debt service will crush her, and she will bring that to her hopefully eventual marriage.  The debt could be so onerous as to force her to continue working, even after she is married.  Figure these facts into your calculations.

Here, consider this.  Consider telling your daughter to learn to bake and cook well, and to dress in pretty clothes, as a future husband will find that very appealing and these skills/traits will greatly increase your odds at marriage.  Do you have a revulsion to what I just wrote?  Really?  Did you know I purposefully including this "shocking" sentence to introduce you to the reflexive modern thinking that has been injected into your brain.  Then the brainwashing is apparent.  Those who found this revolting probably first had words such as "dependent" come up in their thinking. Feminine = little girl.  Feminine = childish.  Etc...

How about forgoing the defeatism, and PLAN on getting married to a Traditional young man?

Thankfully feminism is pretty dead in a Traditional chapel.  Evidently at St. Mary's they have had 100 baptisms last year, or 2 every Sunday.  So the quiet revolution continues and the Traditional marriage is making a comeback.
(05-31-2010, 03:39 PM)James02 Wrote: [ -> ]Here, consider this.  Consider telling your daughter to learn to bake and cook well, and to dress in pretty clothes, as a future husband will find that very appealing and these skills/traits will greatly increase your odds at marriage.  Do you have a revulsion to what I just wrote?  Really? 

There's nothing revolting about that at all. Most girls will be drawn to that kind of thing naturally, especially if they grow up in a traditional family. There's is absolutely no reason why they can't be educated and do all of that, unless you think that girls are so stupid they can't put on pretty clothes, make dinner, and do homework.

I like Scipio's edit.  ;D Can't Bishop Williamson stop harping on women for even one second?

College isn't for everyone, but parents should realize that if they want their sons to have successful careers most likely, probably 95% of the time, they will need a college degree at least and probably an advanced degree of some kind. If they raise them right they will see going to a university as a necessary preparation for the future and not four years of partying, getting wasted, and girls.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13