FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Why the heck are there Academic Requirements for Orders like Franciscans?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Yeah I totally need a Masters in Business degree to go feed the Hungry
Oh,I can't clothes the needy because I didn't take a Yale Course?
OOOOooo,surely praying requires some degree of Divinity (Pun!)
Maybe I will make more money.......................T.T See my point?

Why do orders like franciscans need Academic requirements?
I mean they are NOT a Academic Order.They are Franciscan friars,Street evangelization and food kitchens,when has Vocation become such a Guild system?

oh.......You don't have a 4 yr degree.........sorry your not smart enough to walk around in a robe being a "Holy Fool for Christ".yes one becomes a holy fool but.....well your just not smart enough to join our guild...wait I mean order!

Freakin bet there was alot of not even highschool graduates who became great order members.....

Stupid Academical politics!
I didn't even know. Have a link which specifically states that they're necessary?
Are you sure you have your facts right St.Ambrose, or are you just rambling ?
I know the Franciscans of the Immaculate do not need fantastic Academic requirements, for you to enter. And they are by far and large the best Franciscan Order out there today.
(06-01-2010, 04:14 AM)Chris87 Wrote: [ -> ]Are you sure you have your facts right St.Ambrose, or are you just rambling ?
I know the Franciscans of the Immaculate do not need fantastic Academic requirements, for you to enter. And they are by far and large the best Franciscan Order out there today.

I am Rambling....NOT!-Borack,

No seriously,I rechecked some of the pages,it does seem very few require College,though High school is a must.Though I have seen orders "Like the franciscan" who are not Academic apostalates that for some reason require degrees.Of course not fantasic ones,mind you.But degrees none the less,the little skit above was somewhat rambling,since these were simply stupid mockeries.I actually read on a few capuchin pages that four years of college are required for the noviate.I would understand why Dominicans or Jesuits need those requirements,but I find them not nessary in a Religious setting.
(06-01-2010, 04:14 AM)Chris87 Wrote: [ -> ]Are you sure you have your facts right St.Ambrose, or are you just rambling ?

btw are you saying the FFI are the best simply because they perform the latin mass? I keep trying to look up more info on them,but I'm usually found wanting
Q.Why the heck are there Academic Requirements for Orders like Franciscans?

A.To weed-out wing nuts, blow hards, and other problematic types.  :smokin:

Finishing high school doesn't exactly make you an academic. A seminary education requires years of philosophy and theology, it's the equivalent of a college education so you need to prove you're capable of completing tertiary level classes.
(06-01-2010, 04:56 AM)St.Ambrose Wrote: [ -> ]

btw are you saying the FFI are the best simply because they perform the latin mass? I keep trying to look up more info on them,but I'm usually found wanting

No, that would not be the sole reason. But it definitely is a good thing. I would say there Religious life in general is very Pre Vatican 2 ,and out of all the Franciscan Orders they live a life closest to Francis himself.  I am currently discerning the Religious life and they are a huge favorite of mine.
Im not here to name,names so I wont . I visited quite a few Religious Orders who where very modernized, Watched alot of TV, over eating constantly , no prayer life, huge ego's etc.
A friend who actually left one of the Previous Order's I visited told me to check out the  Franciscans of the Immaculate. I did, to put it simply they where ' The Real Deal'
The Friars and Sisters are required to say at least 4 Rosaries a day, I even heard that its not unusual for the Sisters to be saying 8 Rosaries a day, some of which are in Latin. When I was with them we spent at least 5 hours a day on our knees.
Here is there website http://marymediatrix.com/religious-life/...immaculate
As you can see at the top you can skip through to see all 5 pages on there way of life, but let me say this after visiting them. And reading there full way of life in a book called the book of Sanctity, what you see on there website is a very watered down version of there way of life and what they expect of you as a Franciscan. My guess is its not suitable for the website incase it offends modernist. They live a life of intense Penance troughout the day and night you would not see in most if not all Religious Orders of  today.
My love for Mary attracted me to them, I could not find a more Marian Order anywhere. Instead of saying hello they say Ave Maria, when your woken up in the morning its a Ave Maria and you shout Ave Maria back to show your awake, so your always praising Mary. They also take a fourth Vow of Total consecration to the Immaculate.
They have tons of Websites my friend, so it should not be a problem finding information on them

http://airmaria.com/  on the right hand of your page you will find many,many websites. Magdalene a lady who posts here is a Sister of the Franciscan Tertiaries, she could say alot more for the FI than I could. I am scheduled to be spending a full month with the FI at the end of June, so please keep me in your prayers.

Some people have a problem that the Franciscans of the Immaculate are not solely TLM at the moment. But from my small experience if someone is looking for somewhere which offers the Traditional Religious life they don't come much more Traditional than the  Franciscans of the Immaculate.

Ave Maria
Chris
Because the education system today is inferior to forty years ago. Many go to college to get a secondary education equivalent to years gone by.
tim
Pages: 1 2 3