FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Bullying at work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
What should be proper response, as a Christian, to bullies at work?  I'm in the middle of a situation, yet again, and I read something on the net about bullies at work and their targets and I'm starting to think that I am one.  The article said that targets are often more religious people, either due to a "turn the other cheek" attitude, or because of their kindness, bullies think they won't turn them in.  Also, morally upright people with good work ethics tend to get targeted because they don't cater to a bully's lower work ethic.

With this in mind, is it the morally correct thing to turn a bully in?  Stand up for yourself?  Does the sin of detraction come into play here?

The kind of bullying I'm being subjected to has gone way over the line, incrementally.  It has escalated to death threats, sexually-explicit accusations, general cussing out's, and physical contact (light slap in the face).  I know it sounds really really bad when I list it like that, but it's weird how this bully goes from being terrible to being nice and somehow he pushes over the line and then sweet talks his way into a second chance.  I turned him in today and I now realize he must be fired.  Did I do the right thing?
Follow the policies and procedures of the workplace to the letter.

And yes, you did the right thing.
I think you did the right thing.  You can forgive him and still turn him in.  Forgiveness doesn't mean we ignore justice.

And if I were a boss, I would want to know about that and fire him for the good of the company as well as others.  He's a liability and a disaster waiting to happen.  It's one thing to meet someone in the parking lot after work, another to smack them in the workplace.

And if you were my wife, I would give the guy a beating for slapping you, even lightly.
(06-11-2010, 09:18 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]And if you were my wife, I would give the guy a beating for slapping you, even lightly.
My husband is not pleased, to say the least.  But he's got enough legal trouble as it is.
(06-11-2010, 09:21 PM)miss_fluffy Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-11-2010, 09:18 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]And if you were my wife, I would give the guy a beating for slapping you, even lightly.
My husband is not pleased, to say the least.  But he's got enough legal trouble as it is.

Yeah, it's probably not worth going to jail over if you are OK.
Yep, you definitely did the right thing.  The only additional suggestion I can offer is give the creep a firm ball tapping on his way out of the building.  :tiphat:
Isn't it terrible that our consciences nag us till we're sick over someone who couldn't care less what they do to us? Happens to me a lot. Anyway, you did the right thing. Think of it this way, what if you didn't say anything and then this idiot gets even bolder and ends up hurting someone else? I hope it all works out for you.
The fact that your bully actually slapped you (lightly) is more than enough reason  to get him fired. Perhaps this experience help him/her grow-up a little. You did the right thing.
Oh, goodness. This person so needs to know that what s/he did was inappropriate. It is difficult to imagine a context in which this is remotely acceptable!
He's 65 years old, I don't think he's gonna grow up anymore.
Pages: 1 2 3 4