FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Hyundai ad mocks Blessed Sacrament
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Anti-Catholic blasphemous Hyundai commercial

The Last 'Acceptable' Prejudice:

[size=10pt]http://www.hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/Vi...edding.asp[/size]

Hyundai Motor America
P.O. Box 20850
Fountain Valley, CA 92728

1-800-633-5151

consumeraffairs@hmausa.com

Soccer is a religion.  They are correct.

If men were HALF as passionate about Christ as they are about soccer the world would be like Heaven
Inarguably in extremely poor taste, but debatable as to whether the intent is to mock the Blessed Sacrament.  If the 2-3 seconds featuring the people kneeling for pizza were clipped, this wouldn't even be worth arguing.

Clearly, the ding-dongs who started the "Iglesia Maradoniana" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iglesia_Maradoniana) are being blasphemous (in my opinion).  Is Hyundai contributing by featuring them in a commercial?

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02595a.htm

Blasphemy (Greek blaptein, "to injure", and pheme, "reputation") signifies etymologically gross irreverence towards any person or thing worthy of exalted esteem.

[...]"any word of malediction, reproach, or contumely pronounced against God: (De Relig., tract. iii, lib. I, cap. iv, n. 1). It is to be noted that according to the definition (1) blasphemy is set down as a word, for ordinarily it is expressed in speech,[i] though it may be committed in thought or in act.
Being primarily a sin of the tongue, it will be seen to be opposed directly to the religious act of praising God. (2) It is said to be against God, though this may be only mediately, as when the contumelious word is spoken of the saints or of sacred things, because of the relationship they sustain to God and His service.

Blasphemy is of its whole nature (ex toto genere suo) a mortal sin, the gravest that may be committed against religion. The seriousness of an affront is proportioned to the dignity of the person towards whom it is directed. Since then the insult in blasphemy is offered to the ineffable majesty of God, the degree of its heinousness must be evident. Nevertheless because of slight or no advertence blasphemy may be either a venial sin only or no sin at all. Thus many expressions voiced in anger escape the enormity of a grave sin, except as is clear, when the anger is vented upon God. Again, in the case where blasphemous speech is uttered inadvertently, through force of habit, a grave sin is not committed as long as earnest resistance is made to the habit.[/i]

If we saw a commercial parodying a Jewish or Muslim religious service, we'd be hearing the outraged screams from the Atlantic to the Pacific.
Besides it is a real Church with 40,000 members, so how can it be mocking anything?

Face reality.  Soccer is a religion and it has VERY many serious adherents.

This might not be so obvious to Yanks who are addicted to their own regional sports but in Southern Europe, South and Central America soccer is a religion.
Football (Soccer) maybe a religion to some in this world but this commercial is nonetheless blasphemous.

Hyundai will pay for this.
Not some, many.
I didn't know Hyundai was still in business.
The craziness of soccer fans is what is being mocked here.  The hyperbole of the message is within replacing traditional Catholicism with soccer.  In my opinion, it actually presupposes not only Catholicism as respectable, sacred, and true religion, but also gives a nod to traditional Catholicism as at least a serious and justified "version" of Catholicism.
(06-13-2010, 04:36 PM)Lee Timmer Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't know Hyundai was still in business.

Yep, they make pretty good cars actually.  They've improved a lot over the last 10-15 years and are now as reliable as the best Japanese marques.
(06-13-2010, 04:30 PM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]Not some, many.

I stand corrected then.

The gods of the secular world indeed corrupt many a soul.
Pages: 1 2 3 4