FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: theology of the body
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
so I've been recommended to read theology of the body and some stuff by Chistopher West.  Yes? No? I've heard some people speak against it, but never in great detail. 

(and as a side note, what's with NFP?)
Run away from the TOB and Christopher West.

He was involved in controversy last year because of his distortion of Church teaching on sexuality. He is currently on a six month leave and sabbatical due to the criticisms from half a dozen theologians in the dust up last year that was all over the internet.

Here's an old thread that explain the problems of West:

Why Christopher West is a Danger to the Church
http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...768.0.html
I know about his sabbatical and know he had some things wrong and I voiced this to a confessor, but he responded that West got most things right and I should just take it with a grain of salt.  I need some good materials to stay pure in a relationship and all anyone will EVER recommend is this slew of reading.

If West has things wrong, then what is still wrong with TOB?
The Church permits Catholic married couples to use NFP. However, NFP can only be used by Catholics for serious grave reasons. It has been abused with many in the Church using it without a sufficient grave reason.

NFP Sermons from an FSSP priest:

Holy Matrimony and NFP
http://www.audiosancto.org/sermon/200407...d-NFP.html

Series on Marriage, Part 4: Periodic Abstinence and NFP
http://www.audiosancto.org/sermon/200710...d-NFP.html
(06-15-2010, 06:59 PM)legendofheasty Wrote: [ -> ]I know about his sabbatical and know he had some things wrong and I voiced this to a confessor, but he responded that West got most things right and I should just take it with a grain of salt.  I need some good materials to stay pure in a relationship and all anyone will EVER recommend is this slew of reading.

West actually has some serious errors inclusing once advocating sodomy. Read the thread I posted.

You don't need the TOB to stay pure. There are many great traditional old fashioned Catholic resources, practices, sermons, and devotions to help with purity.

Here's some:

Fr. Ripperger FSSP Sermons. There are many great sermons about chastity, lust, and impurity. There are a great grace:

http://www.sensustraditionis.org/multimedia.html

Sermons on Purity and the Sixth and Ninth Commandments from Audiosancto:

http://www.audiosancto.org/categories/purity.php

I cannot comment on Mr. West, except that he was misrepresented in a television piece about Hugh Hefner and Jo. Paul II (of happy memory). What is even worse, Catholics in the United States - who are generally skeptical about the popular media - jumped all over West, oftentimes choosing to believe the television piece rather than the editing practices of the news producers.

Here is the piece in question:

As for the late pope's Theology of the Body, I personally found John Paul's Love and Responsibility a enlightening if deep/tough read. It was originally a series of lectures given in a Polish university on a Christian take towards human sexuality.
(06-15-2010, 06:59 PM)legendofheasty Wrote: [ -> ]I know about his sabbatical and know he had some things wrong and I voiced this to a confessor, but he responded that West got most things right and I should just take it with a grain of salt.  I need some good materials to stay pure in a relationship and all anyone will EVER recommend is this slew of reading.

If West has things wrong, then what is still wrong with TOB?

I really like this site: www.chastity.com
Nearly everything that Christopher West taught was fine.  It was only one or two items that he may have gotten wrong, and yet people seemed more interested in completely banishing him than clearing up the discrepancy and recognizing all what he had done right.

Many Catholics have terrible understanding of sex and the theology of it.  Christopher West was doing a great job of re-educating Catholics and getting them back on track.  I'm disappointed many jumped on the bandwagon and slammed him for something that wasn't terribly clear on what exactly he was saying.  While it is very important to clear this item up, it seems many didn't care for the immense good he was doing.

To clarify, Christopher West was run over by a bus before the facts were clear about it.  The maligned and terrible-edited television interview didn't help either.
I took a TOB course 2 years ago. There is much rambling , but at points good rambling?? I did enjoy the book and the Prof was great. In the college library they have a version of West's TOB. It is horrible. I would recommend reading it only to inform yourself of the evil that some Catholics  are trying to pass off as Church teaching. Many sections stood out that left me shaking my head.

Wow this is my first post in a long time.  Happy to see everyone   :tiphat:
(06-16-2010, 12:34 AM)Aquila_Oculus Wrote: [ -> ]Nearly everything that Christopher West taught was fine.  It was only one or two items that he may have gotten wrong, and yet people seemed more interested in completely banishing him than clearing up the discrepancy and recognizing all what he had done right.

Many Catholics have terrible understanding of sex and the theology of it.  Christopher West was doing a great job of re-educating Catholics and getting them back on track.  I'm disappointed many jumped on the bandwagon and slammed him for something that wasn't terribly clear on what exactly he was saying.  While it is very important to clear this item up, it seems many didn't care for the immense good he was doing.

To clarify, Christopher West was run over by a bus before the facts were clear about it.  The maligned and terrible-edited television interview didn't help either.

This is true. I'm not a Christopher West fan, but his work is very valuable to people who neither accept nor understand Church teaching on sexuality. Not everyone is a devout trad with no hang-ups or perversions, cheerfully prepared to just have babies whenever God sends them. Christopher West helps people to begin having a sex life without mortal sin involved -- infinitely valuable.
Pages: 1 2 3 4