FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: When is it detraction?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I went to the NO with my family and realized that the reader (or whatever they're called, forgive me) was known to me to be a supporter of China's one-child policy in her "Social Studies" class. She had personally given my son propaganda supporting this position--a cheesy Internet print-out with a cutesy Mao Zedung quote on the front. Lovely.  I can't begin to imagine how confusing this is to my son, who normally goes with me to the TLM, and it was really upsetting to me as well, but then again, I'm pretty touchy, so...

Anyway, should I bring this to the pastor's attention or just mind my own business? Is it detraction?
If you still have the printout, that's some hard evidence.  You don't need to storm in there making bold accusations, but you could show the pastor the printout and explain that it is confusing for your son to see someone serve in an official function at church and then support policies explicitly contrary to church teaching at her job, and ask for his help in the matter.  No, I don't think that is detraction.  For that matter, people are unbelievably ignorant of Church teachings, and she may not even be aware that what she is supporting is wrong.  In that case, it would be a spiritual work of mercy to instruct her, and it would be best if that instruction came from the pastor.
I would say no, it's not detraction. You have a good reason to bring this information forward. Here is a good sermon on detraction...on what it is and what it isn't...

http://www.sspxasia.com/sermons/8th_Sund...-07-10.mp3
Ugh, Maoists.

I would follow cgraye's suggestion. Just don't get your hopes up. Nothing will probably be done about it.

By the way, "reader" or "lector" is usable, either in the Novus Ordo or the Tridentine.
(06-16-2010, 10:58 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: [ -> ]I went to the NO with my family and realized that the reader (or whatever they're called, forgive me) was known to me to be a supporter of China's one-child policy in her "Social Studies" class. She had personally given my son propaganda supporting this position--a cheesy Internet print-out with a cutesy Mao Zedung quote on the front. Lovely.  I can't begin to imagine how confusing this is to my son, who normally goes with me to the TLM, and it was really upsetting to me as well, but then again, I'm pretty touchy, so...

Anyway, should I bring this to the pastor's attention or just mind my own business? Is it detraction?

That's nothing.  most Catholics are pro-choice.  Most Catholics don't believe in the Real Presence. 
Don't confuse your kids. Stay away from the NO. Fast, pray three decades of the Rosary, mortify your flesh, read Pre VII papal documents, but do not go to the NO. I remember an FE posting a quote from an FSSP priest: "If you want to lose the Faith, go to the Novus Ordo."
No, it is not detraction properly speaking. However, mind your own bloody business. If more Catholics did this the world would be a better place. As a teacher myself, and one who recently found out some Catholic parents were slandering him, I personally recommend you talk to the teacher face to face or say nothing at all about the matter.

ResiduumRevertetur Wrote:I can't begin to imagine how confusing this is to my son

It's probably not that confusing at all. It's a conceit of adults to think students actually pay that much attention in class. As your own personal experience may attest, and as mine certainly does, most of what teachers say in classes is quickly forgotten if it was ever absorbed to begin with. Thus goes modern education.

jacobhalo Wrote:That's nothing.  most Catholics are pro-choice.  Most Catholics don't believe in the Real Presence.

If you're citing the same poll I am thinking of - the same poll many Catholics quote to bemoan the state of the Church - rest assured the results are highly spurious. I don't have the time in this moment to detail it, but later today I'll explain why the statistics are inaccurate (if you are talking about the same query I have in mind).
I remember Fr. Corapi talking about a protestant minister he met and the protestant said, "I wish I could believe what you Catholics believe." Fr. Corapi asked what he meant and the Protestant said, "If I believed that Jesus Christ was really present in the bread and wine you couldn't pry me out of a Catholic Church."

If the President or some celebrity was known to be in some empty building and people knew about it the building would be filled in a short time. Yet, the King of Kings, our Lord and Savior is in every Catholic Church in the world and yet most of the time they are always empty.

As I understand detraction,  its largely a matter of intent. If you are seeking to hurt her reputation, then it is a sin. If you mean to correct the error, then it's a work of mercy.
I'm certainly no expert, but I don't think that detraction could be considered a work of mercy. Admonishing the sinner does not mean revealing that sin to a third party. Intention has little (although intention is important in all sin) to do with revealing someone's failings to another party. The reason that this particular instance would not be detraction is that it (in theory) will prevent harm to children who might be more apt to listen to the immoral views if they felt that the person was held in high esteem by the Church. Whether or not that is a fair assumption, I don't know. But the key is that even if your intention is to convince a sinner to repent, it would be wrong to spread the word of their sin. That would be more inline with a puritanical community spreading the gossip so that the offender could be shunned.
Pages: 1 2