FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope Benedict: Obsessed with Celestine V??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Actually I think the OP is a little over ripe. OH, IT WAS ME?! Well, even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then.

C.
(07-04-2010, 03:04 PM)i.p.i. Wrote: [ -> ]Pope's bones survive earthquake
Published: April 9, 2009 at 2:57 PM

L'AQUILA, Italy, April 9 (UPI) -- The bones of one of the Catholic Church's most enigmatic popes survived the Italian earthquake and were taken Thursday from the church where he was buried.

St. Celestine V's bones will be stored safely while the Basilica di Collemaggio in L'Aquila, which was damaged in the quake, is repaired, the Italian news agency ANSA reported.

''It's another great miracle by the pope,'' said Fabio Carapezza Guttuso, head of the country's Heritage Security Commission, of the survival of Celestine's earthly remains.

The pope hoped to spend the rest of his life as a hermit. His successor, Boniface VIII, instead imprisoned him in a castle where he died within a year, ANSA reported.

The poet Dante, who despised Boniface, blamed Celestine in "The Inferno" for his "great refusal" of responsibility. But Celestine has been admired by many for his virtue.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/04/09/P...239303447/
__________________________________________________________________________________

(Not all scholars agree that the lines by Dante that supposedly refer to Celestine were intended to refer to Celestine.  But having Dante in the mix is interesting.  I haven't learned why he despised Boniface yet.  i.p.i.)

Interesting thread & post, thanks  :)
(02-13-2013, 11:21 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]Wow! This is uncanny! I totally forgot about this thread. In other news, yesterday on EWTN Barbara McWiggin suspects Pope Benedict is suffering congestive heart failure. She said the Pope had a pacemaker put in three months ago. Did anyone else hear of that?

I heard that he had a pacemaker before he became Pope, but 3 months ago he had surgery to put new batteries in the pacemaker. I wish everyone would quit blaming him for resigning.
He watched John Paul II become sick & feeble. For his last year, I don't think he was lucid or physically able to lead the Church. He taught me a lot about the value that can be found in physical suffering.........still I think the Church felt the impact of his illness in a harmful way.
Uncanny thread.  :O
Time to bump this thread again? Now it's Pope Francis who seems fascinated with Pope St. Celestine V.
He has just declared a "Celestine Jubilee Year".
"Like Francis of Assisi, Pietro del Morrone knew well the society of his time, with its great poverties. Both were very close to the people. They had the same compassion of Jesus for the many exhausted and oppressed persons. However, they did not limit themselves to dispense good advice or pious consolations. First of all was the fact they made a choice of a life against the current, they chose to entrust themselves to the Providence of the Father, not only as personal ascesis, but as prophetic testimony of a Paternity and a fraternity which are the message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

And it always strikes me that with their strong compassion for the people, these Saints felt the need to give the people the greatest thing: the Father’s mercy, forgiveness. “Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.” In these words of the Our Father is a whole plan of life, based on mercy. Mercy, indulgence, the remission of debts, is not just something devotional, intimate, a spiritual palliative. No! It is the prophecy of a new world, in which the goods of the earth and of work are fairly distributed and no one is deprived of the necessary, because solidarity and sharing are the concrete consequence of fraternity.

See, then, the meaning of a new citizenship, which we feel strongly here, in this Square in front of the Cathedral, where we speak of the memory of Saint Pietro del Morrone, Celestine V. See the very timely meaning of the Celestine Jubilee Year, which I declare open from this moment, and during which the door of Divine Mercy will be open wide for all. It is not a flight, it is not an evasion of reality and its problems; it is the answer that comes from the Gospel: love as force of purification of consciences, force of renewal of social relations, force of planning for a different economy, which puts the person, work and family at the center rather than money and profit."
Is another papal resignation brewing?
http://www.zenit.org/en/articles/pope-fr...elestine-v
While I wouldn't be surprised if he resigns at some point, I don't think this is as related to such plans as Benedict's visits may have been.

Benedict proclaimed a Celestine year in 2009 for the 800th anniversary of his birth, as an extension of the famous "Celestine Pardon."  The "Celestine Pardon" is a special annual indulgence issued by St. Celestine in 1294 for the basilica in L'Aquila and which has been celebrated there every year since.  It is generally seen as a precursor to the practice of jubilee years.  For example, the rites surrounding the Celestine Pardon is where we get the traditional jubilee practice of "opening the doors," that Pope Francis references. 

From what I can tell, continuing the practice of extending the Celestine Pardon (both geographically and timewise) by proclaiming another "Celestine Year" is more about the Pope's focus on mercy, rather than anything to do with Celestine's abdication.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5