FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: American dominican Order
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi! Alright residents of the fish tank...I need your help. I do not deny that I am considering the priesthood. I wish to ask people's opinions on the Dominican Order in the US. I would like to focus specifically on the St. Joseph province but if you want to bring any of the others in to this feel free. Please focus on the following:
1) orthodoy
2) liturgy
3) prayer life

Thank you!
I don't know about the order in general, but they've got a beautiful shrine not far from me. http://nunsopsummit.org/

But are you looking to say the the NO or the TLM?  If I may, here's another recommendation.  :)  http://www.institute-christ-king.org/home/
I was with the Dominicans for 4 years at Providence College.  At the time, because I was so ridiculously indifferent, I didn't realize how liberal they were (at least within that rarefied academic atmosphere).

That's a generalization to be sure.  I owe my intellectual acceptance of Catholic doctrine to a Dominican Father who could have given Fulton Sheen a run for his money in persuasiveness and spiritual discipline - but I also attended a Mass there where the priest distributing Communion said "Accept Jesus, your friend!" instead of "the Body of Christ".  So there are both ends of the spectrum.

It's been over 20 years since I graduated, but I recently read the article linked to below that seems to indicate that Providence may be going the way of other Catholic colleges and forgetting its identity.

Anyway, "the Dominicans" and "a college run by the Dominicans" aren't the same thing.....but I would think that how they run the school is illustrative of their beliefs and orientation.

http://www.newoxfordreview.org/article.j...04-jackson

A CLOSER LOOK
Is Providence College All It's Cracked Up to Be?

October 2004By Jeffrey R. Jackson

Jeffrey R. Jackson is a 2003 graduate of Rhode Island College with a B.A. in Political Science.

Providence College, nestled in a gritty area of Providence, Rhode Island, is distinct among the nation's two hundred plus colleges and universities that are identified as Catholic. Its primary significance since its inauguration in 1917 is that it is the only college or university in all of North America that is owned and operated by the Order of Preachers Friars (i.e., the Dominican Fathers). The Dominicans, a bastion of scholarship dating back to the Order's founding in the 13th century, are the one religious community able to singularly claim as their own, St. Thomas Aquinas -- widely heralded as the patriarch of Catholic theological and philosophical scholarship, whose writings have undoubtedly served as the foundation, beacon, and compass for the intellectualization of Catholic orthodoxy throughout the centuries.
God bless you in your way to concerning your vocation.

A know very little about the Dominicans in the US, but a while ago I had some correspondence with Father Augustine Thompson OP, he is a honest man, you can turn to him, with trust. (find his email at the New Liturgical Movement site http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/ )

Also for discerning vocation  I recommend you to check the Canons of St John Cantius http://www.canons-regular.org/go/vocations/, they are hones too.
I think you will find, no surprise, that the Dominican Order--like several others- are 'all over the map' so to speak. I have read of some awful things occuring in places and a terrible infiltration of modernism and homosexuality but then there are other places where they have stayed the course. I think the advice to contact Fr.Thompson is  good advice. And also the editor and some contributors of the Magnificat Magazine are Dominican so there are certainly those who continue to live the wonderful charism.

God bless you on your journey~!
Ive heard about the Institute and the Canons.

Right now I am hoping to graduate, join the united catholic conference for education, and get into a doctorate program in medieval history. I suppose I have figured "if you are going to be a priest why not use your intellectual talents for God? Why not join an intellectual order?"

What say you to this?
(07-04-2010, 05:59 PM)BlessedKarl Wrote: [ -> ]Ive heard about the Institute and the Canons.

Right now I am hoping to graduate, join the united catholic conference for education, and get into a doctorate program in medieval history. I suppose I have figured "if you are going to be a priest why not use your intellectual talents for God? Why not join an intellectual order?"

What say you to this?

Since I pursued such goal, when I was in your age, I had to say that this is a good goal. My only advise that God wants His chosen ones at young age, but never is too late.

As for the vocation, that is the calling of the bishop, but you have to work hard to get there and on the appropriate side.
Can you please tell me more of your experiences, gglass? Thanks, your advice, as well as everyone elses, is very useful.
(07-04-2010, 08:00 PM)BlessedKarl Wrote: [ -> ]Can you please tell me more of your experiences, gglass? Thanks, your advice, as well as everyone elses, is very useful.

As for the scientific experience the theology is a beautiful Gothic  building. I expected my doctorate for moral-theology, I prepared my dissertation around the theology of the human work.

Then God wanted it in different way. Fist the seminary where I was was to dissolved by the Communist Government, then I was imprisoned, and so my carrier finished. I was not alone, and going through is much easier than it may be seen from outside.
(07-04-2010, 12:10 PM)Magdalene Wrote: [ -> ]I think you will find, no surprise, that the Dominican Order--like several others- are 'all over the map' so to speak. I have read of some awful things occuring in places and a terrible infiltration of modernism and homosexuality but then there are other places where they have stayed the course. I think the advice to contact Fr.Thompson is  good advice. And also the editor and some contributors of the Magnificat Magazine are Dominican so there are certainly those who continue to live the wonderful charism.

God bless you on your journey~!

This is very true. The St. Joseph Province is good. There is a Dominican parish in Columbus, OH, St. Joseph Province; it's orthodox. My son has attended there and was impressed.He said they had the longest confession lines of any church he's ever attended. Lots of youth and young adults going to daily mass.
Pages: 1 2