FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Anger
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There is undoubtedly a pattern on these forums of people becoming angry over the latest public sin against Faith, Chastity, common sense, etc. I usually ignore it, because violently spouting out on the internet seems pointless to me. However, as one forum member (I forget who-I'm sure he or she will speak up when they see this) has pointed out with a quote from, I believe, St. John Chrysostom "He who is not angry when there is cause to be, sins".  It's true; we have the emotion of anger for a reason. If we are in tune with the Divine Law, we should naturally be angered when we see gross violation. So it's not that I think anger is wrong, but what we do with anger is the real test of our Faith. Short article below touching on this subject.  End of preaching.

FROM THE PASTOR
July 4, 2010
by Fr. George W. Rutler

Jesus did not appoint the brothers James and John apostles in spite of their temper but because of it.  These "Bonaerges" (Sons of Thunder) had wanted to bring fire down on the rude Samaritans. Jesus knew that such anger, if harnessed, could become "righteous."  There is a difference between using temper and losing temper, as there is between oil for energy and the Gulf oil spill. Anger rightly used and not lost becomes strength.  James became the first apostle to offer his life serenely for the Lord, and John in his maturity wrote, "Little children love one another.”

The risen Christ converted St. Paul’s destructive wrath on the Damascus road. Later, the Apostle would warn the Galatians that their uncontrolled temper is a “work of the flesh.” St. Jerome’s letters to St. Augustine show how hard it was for him to control his tongue and pen, and the sun often went down upon the wrath of the Irish missionary Columba. No saint, naturally placid or aggressive, replaced anger with the opposite extreme of timidity. “God has not given us a spirit of timidity but a spirit of power and love and self-control” (2 Timothy 1:7).

The cure for both sinful anger and sinful timidity is the virtue of courage. St. John Chrysostom wrote to Timotheus:  "For if the wrath of God were a passion, one might well despair of being unable to quench the flame which he had kindled by so many evil doings; but since the Divine nature is passionless, even if He punishes, even if He takes vengeance, He does this not with wrath, but with tender care, and much loving-kindness; wherefore it behooves us to be of much good courage, and to trust in the power of repentance.”

Timidity disguised as charity can do more harm than anger, and the conceit that evil will melt away by ignoring it would be like Captain Smith on the Titanic saying, "Iceberg? What iceberg?"  St. Augustine said, "God does not need my lie."  St. John Fisher, speaking as the only one of his country's bishops who was a true shepherd, lamented: "The fort is betrayed even of them that should have defended it." Exactly four hundred years later, Churchill would say, "An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.”

St. Alphonsus Liguori was not timid when he counseled: "Even when correcting faults, superiors should be kind." But his kindness was in fact the engine of his zeal to "admonish sinners," which is the first of the Seven Spiritual Works of Mercy. Conversely, St. Leo confronting Attila the Hun, St. Joan of Arc trying to make a man of her pathetic king, and Blessed Jerzy Popieluszko staring down the Communists, were not foolhardy in their assertiveness.  Their strength came not from Anger Management Therapy but from Christ whose very wrath is merciful.
Great point. I, for one, have always struggled with channeling anger appropriately. I wouldn't mind some tips.

Btw, do you think Jesus was angry when he chased the merchants out of the temple?
Well, whether it's charitable or not....where else would you want to vent, than in a forum of (likely) like-minded folks, particularly for those here who are not part of a traditional parish or otherwise lack an ear for these kind of things?  There are a few here who are the only TLM-goers in their family, or even the only Catholics in their family.  The thread "how bad is your local NO?" is, I think still one of the top-viewed threads here....people like to share this stuff.

I'll concede that I for one could do a better job biting my tongue in many cases.

As to the question of whether Our Lord was angry in the temple, well, Scripture doesn't say "angry" outright, but whipping people and overturning tables is pretty indicative.  However, I think there has been a distinction made between righteous wrath and losing your cool....there was a thread here about it a bit ago.
(07-05-2010, 09:30 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: [ -> ]Well, whether it's charitable or not....where else would you want to vent, than in a forum of (likely) like-minded folks, particularly for those here who are not part of a traditional parish or otherwise lack an ear for these kind of things?  There are a few here who are the only TLM-goers in their family, or even the only Catholics in their family.  The thread "how bad is your local NO?" is, I think still one of the top-viewed threads here....people like to share this stuff.

I'll concede that I for one could do a better job biting my tongue in many cases.

As to the question of whether Our Lord was angry in the temple, well, Scripture doesn't say "angry" outright, but whipping people and overturning tables is pretty indicative.  However, I think there has been a distinction made between righteous wrath and losing your cool....there was a thread here about it a bit ago. 

Good post.  Even righteous anger becomes unrighteous if we allow it to fester (I think I said that on the other thread).  A lot of us come here to vent and that's okay.  But it's discouraging to see anger spill over into every sub-forum.  Some people post nothing but angry, spiteful stuff.  They are probably angry in their everyday lives.  No self-restraint or balanced perspective; lack of trust in Divine Providence too. 

I know I have to watch myself with anger - I mean deep-seated anger, not just losing my cool.  Sometimes I need to take breaks from the forum, and sometimes I need to overlook things that are happening in my world because I know I can't fix them with anything but prayer.  Prayer keeps us gentle.

Also, just because Our Lord turned over tables and began whipping people doesn't mean we get to do it.   :laughing:
You are correct Lisa. In another secular forum I go to I have the same user name. Of course in the discussion of homos I was called a homophobe and was told I shouldn't be allowed to post on that forum with my homophobic bigoted views. I was called "Peterthepebble"

I was wrong on that forum for saying that Kagan is a lesbian and I recanted that, but my views that if someone is an active, unrepentant homosexual makes them disqualified from being on the Supreme Court still stands and that was everyone's beef. I was going to get angry and let everyone know it but I restrained my emotions and figured that being called a homophobe and a bigot is no big deal. Besides, if someone calumniates and detracts against me it's just my punishment for the times I have detracted and calumniated against others. As for being called "Peterthepebble" I don't find that offensive...in fact I kind of like that. Since I am not worthy to have the title of the Great Apostle, Peterthepebble is probably more suitable for me.

Lastly, I need to shake the dust off my feet from that forum. I don't need to be going someplace with those kinds of people who are going to eventually set me off especially since there is no chance that I will ever change their hearts or minds.

But there is just anger...such as getting angry over sacrileges and abuses at Mass and with the NO Church but even that can become unjust anger if it festers in us. But most anger that we have isn't just anger. The anger that Jesus had was divine anger, we aren't even close to be as Holy as Jesus for us to have divine anger.

Thanks, Christopher.  There is too much uncontrolled anger in the world and we see a lot of it online. 

"The cure for both sinful anger and sinful timidity is the virtue of courage."

It's easier to be angry or timid than to be courageous so that is something we all need to work on.