FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: German Beer Mass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I wanted to share the video with you brothers and sisters.  This is a serious prayer need.  Please offer prayers in reparation for this grave offense against the holy Eucharist.

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/

About half way down the page appears an entry for 7/5/10.  The video is in German but you don't need to speak German to see people drinking beer, eating food, smoking and buying food during this outdoor folk Mass.  I am still sick after viewing it.  This was done with the blessings of Cardinal Schonborn the title seems to imply.

Monday, July 05, 2010
"With the blessing of the Cardinal"....
...really, words cannot describe this Pseudo-American-Confederate-folk-celebration-messe in the Archdiocese of Vienna, „mit dem Segen des Kardinals“.

PS - if someone knows how to embed the video you help would be appreciated

Saw this yesterday. Made me physically sick. What has happened to our Church? is this sort of thing prevelant in europe? sad
A translation would be appreciated in order to make a more informed comment.

One of the drawbacks of a hierarchical religion such as Christianity is that believers feel free to slough off all their problems on the leaders. Having seen the video, and read the comments here and on Rorate Caeli link, it seems this habit is playing itself out. If anyone is at fault here, it is not Christoph Schönborn. The boobs who are smoking and drinking and eating at the Mass are at fault. The priest simply was making the Sacrament available in a public event, neither he nor his fellow ministers could stop someone taking a swig of beer.

One of my personal hobbies is historical reenacting. Come Sunday morning at events, it's common for Mass to be held outdoors. It sad to see all the people just walk by without a care at what is going on. While no one has ever been so uncouth as to smoke or eat at Mass, I can only imagine what was going through the mind of the priest who was officiating at the ritual in the video. Don't make the assumption that the clergy support what apparently happened in the posed clip. They're just reciting the Gospel to mankind. How people choose to conduct themselves is their own problem.
Oh gosh, I was watching the video and then there was an earthquake over here.  Pray Pray Pray
Here is a comment from Fr Z-s site

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2010/07/outrageou...in-vienna/

#

The video shows two things: a) a picnic at which lots of people were eating, drinking beer, and smoking; and b) an outdoor Mass at the same location. If a) and b) were simultaneous, then yes, I am angry. But I can’t tell if they were: there seem to be a lot of camera cuts to make it seem as if they were, as if the cameraman wanted to arouse ire in the Catholic faithful.

Just after college, I volunteered to teach in Catholic schools through a Notre Dame program called the Alliance for Catholic Education. On a couple occasions, the program staff took us teachers (all recent college grads) to Lake Michigan for an outing that featured both a) a Mass on the beach; and b) a beery picnic. The Masses and the picnics were always separate, and the Masses were reverent by NO standards. But you could have easily made a film that spliced clips of us at the Mass and then at the picnic which would have made it appear that we were drinking beer at Mass.
Comment by Joe Magarac — 6 July 2010 @ 10:04 am

Unless somebody present testifies that the event happened as the video suggest, we shall suppose that our enemy the Satan as roaring lion goes around.
Isn't this the same place that Gloria.tv reported on last year? Seems to be an annual event...
I smoke during mass all the time, and I drink, I tell people to see their faces then tell them its the blood of our lord and incense that I smoke with.lol
Credo, good points you make - you too glgas.  In all charity, perhaps those at the tables were at a picnic and those closer to the stage were at the Holy Mass.  However, you can clearly see in one camera shot the people at the tables stand up for the Our Father then exchange the sign of peace.  The in another shot they leave the tables to go forward.  I assumed they were going forward to receive communion.  Perhaps they were going for more beer.

I was simply overcome and reviled by the scene - yes scandalized I suppose.  Even if two separate events were occuring, why wouldn't the priest attempt to orient the Holy Mass in a different direction so as to at least have some element of respect for the Eucharist?

I apologize if I sounded judgmental, but this was a real shock to me.  (The clown Mass was less of a shock than this.)  Perhaps I was seeking a better explanation of what I was witnessing in this video.  Any German speaking trads want to comment?
I speak German.  Let me start by saying that I don't agree with or like what I saw in this video.  The title of this tread "German Beer Mass" also is getting me upset.  It should be more like "Mass in the middle of a German Beer Festival".  At first I thought I was going to see beer used instead of wine.  Thankfully that was not so however what were they thinking.  Poor judgement to hold Mass in the middle of a BeerFest, how could this be.  I would not want Mass in the middle of any Festival outdoors at picnic tables NEVER!  The commentator was speaking most about the Fest and events.  Just a comment or two to inform there was an outdoor Mass and who the Celebrant was.  Obviously those that planned this need alot of prayer. 
(07-08-2010, 12:51 PM)BlessedMotherPrayforUs Wrote: [ -> ]I speak German.  Let me start by saying that I don't agree with or like what I saw in this video.  The title of this tread "German Beer Mass" also is getting me upset.  It should be more like "Mass in the middle of a German Beer Festival".  At first I thought I was going to see beer used instead of wine.  Thankfully that was not so however what were they thinking.  Poor judgement to hold Mass in the middle of a BeerFest, how could this be.  I would not want Mass in the middle of any Festival outdoors at picnic tables NEVER!  The commentator was speaking most about the Fest and events.  Just a comment or two to inform there was an outdoor Mass and who the Celebrant was.   Obviously those that planned this need alot of prayer. 

In the Church of the school of my grandchildren in every September there is an open Mass at 10 o'clock. After the mass finished on the same area there is a picnic.

If this is the case for this video, or as an other opinion states the open Mass was just close to a different festival, then let God be merciful for those who cut together the two events, and for those who promulgate this video.

Quote:A search on the event’s web site
http://www.2010.donauinselfest.at/?lang=...e=programm
brings up the program listing:

Translation:
“The traditional open air ‘COUNTRY GOSPEL MASS’ takes place at 10 AM.
Cathedral rector Toni Faber from St. Stephen’s in Vienna will celebrate this Holy Mass for us. The band Okehma is providing the musical accompaniment.”

Here’s a collection of photos from the event:
http://splitters.wcc.at/webfoto2010/webf...ndex_7.htm

They show that, as the video describes, the area near the altar was occupied by participants in chairs; picnic tables for the majority of the crowd were behind the first group.

While the video goes out of its way to emphasize distasteful images of people smoking, the basic facts described in it look consistent with the photos linked above.
Pages: 1 2 3