FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Abuse by Mental Health Care Professionals is Worse than Catholic Church
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
You can find everything in the Mental Health field. You can find fraud, lies, deceit, sexual depravity and coverups. You can find everything, perhaps, except Mental Health.

It would seem clear that in a profession where at least 25% (in England) of Mental Healthcare Professions would admit to having sexual contact with their clients and patients has some serious problems with credibility. Many abusive practitioners attempt to hide behind the term consenting adults, or even attempt to portray their sexual abuse as therapeutic. Many of you will remember how a California psychologist destroyed an order of California IHM Nuns, who irresponsibly encouraged them to explore themselves sexually by abandoning all of their "repressive" ideas.

Despite the obvious problems with Psychologists, who generally lack a coherent moral system and often reject such things as nonsensical, many anti-Catholic bigots would prefer to hold the Catholic Church exclusively responsible for the sexual abuse of minors, despite the epidemic level of dishonesty, corruption, sexual abuse and coverup in the Mental Healthcare Profession.

We've always argued that sexual abuse is generally perpetrated by people with a progressive ideological persuasion, they are materialists and therefore are unwilling to admit the objectivity of absolute moral imperatives as handed down to the Jews in Sinai in the form of the Decalogue (The 10 Commandments). Undoubtedly, if you regard these things as legendary fairytales, you're very likely to also go your own way when you think no one's looking, and even transgress the clear ethical directives of your own field, as many psychiatrists and psychologists do. They don't fear God or His laws. So, those priests who also are guilty of these crimes are of the same persuasion and in counseling those who come to them for help, often go by the same materialist assumptions, and use the same tactics as Mental Healthcare Professionals.

Despite the fact that there are all too many Catholic Priests who are infected with a materialist point of view, eager to reduce the Church to a merely man-made institution, we'd still submit that people are more safe in the confines of the present institutions of the Catholic Church, as bad as they are throughout the world, than in the hands of a profession containing a group of men and women who will admit that they engage in sexual contact with their patients at a rate from 10%-25%. [Psychiatric Rape: Assaulting Women and Children] here:

http://eponymousflower.blogspot.com/2010...hcare.html
Thanks, Augustine!  Good ammunition. 
Also, public schools and religious institutions normally seen as clean (Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, etc) in this way.

If these were examined, the "scandal" in the Church would not be news.
(07-10-2010, 11:00 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: [ -> ]Also, public schools and religious institutions normally seen as clean (Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, etc) in this way.

Is the implication here that we need to lower the bar on what we expect from the Church?
(07-11-2010, 03:54 AM)WilfredLeblanc Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-10-2010, 11:00 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: [ -> ]Also, public schools and religious institutions normally seen as clean (Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, etc) in this way.

Is the implication here that we need to lower the bar on what we expect from the Church?

If I said that, or it is a logical conclusion, then that is what I meant. If I did not say it, and it would not be a logical conclusion, then that is not what I meant.

And the Church did nothing wrong. People in the Church do things wrong. And yes, we should not be shocked that people are capable of being bad if only to avoid denial and cover ups.
It's a good thing I don't profess a creed and give money in the plate ever week to the mental health care profession then isn't it?

That abuse happens isn't my problem.

That it happens in various proportions is not really my problem.

My problem is that the action taken consisted mostly of paying hush money to victims and moving abusers on to new parishes where they abused again.

Did the mental health profession do that systemically?
The health care community systematically covered up the problem, and in another sense many catholic priest abusers are also psychologists.

Some people arer suggesting that what goes on in the C Church is statistically worse and that's just not the case.

The psych people actually attempt to justify abuse as therapeeutic too...
But it simply isn't good enough to say that x institution is statistically worse than the Church when it comes to rates of sexual predation by authority figures. Who cares? The Church is obliged to achieve a much higher standard than that.
(07-11-2010, 07:37 PM)WilfredLeblanc Wrote: [ -> ]But it simply isn't good enough to say that x institution is statistically worse than the Church when it comes to rates of sexual predation by authority figures. Who cares? The Church is obliged to achieve a much higher standard than that.

The Church does.

The Church doesn't allow people who come to Her to indulge in harmful sexual activities (try to go to a psychologist with a concern you are attracted to the same sex).

The Church won't console people who killed their babies to make them feel better. It will try to get them to repent.
(07-11-2010, 07:37 PM)WilfredLeblanc Wrote: [ -> ]But it simply isn't good enough to say that x institution is statistically worse than the Church when it comes to rates of sexual predation by authority figures. Who cares? The Church is obliged to achieve a much higher standard than that.

I agree.  To say that "abuse by Protestant ministers" or "abuse by mental health professionals" or "abuse by " is worse than that by Catholic clergy seems to be a way (even if unintentional) of minimizing or rationalizing the horror of it.

Whether it's statistically better or worse is not relevant because, 1) the Church (as an institution, and as the individuals that make it up) can and should be held to a higher standard, and 2) each victim's human dignity is God-given and has been violated by the abuse....and each person is priceless in the sight of God.

The numbers just don't matter.  One abortion in and of itself is no more or less evil than 10,000.

Bonitas non est pessimis esse meliorem. - Seneca
Pages: 1 2 3