FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What is a Church supposed to Look Like?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In the Latin Mass magazine there is an article about what Church's are supposed to look like and why it's important they look like well..Catholic Church's.

Here are a couple of quotes from the article...

"The church building and its furnishings ought to convey a sense of something one, visibly and tangibly one, that is greater than all of our differences...an architecture that remains in continuity with ecclesiastical Tradition."

"Recognizable sacred imagery and elements--for example, a prominent crucifix of the pierced Savior, statues of the Saints, many real candles, a dominant and dazzling tabernacle--stress the continuity with the apostolic Faith, in this way guarding the unity of the Church and offering an ongoing catechesis of the Faithful.

The article points out that when you walk into a Church your eyes should be drawn upwards to the Holy of Holies. The whole article can be found online here...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/32687246/What-...wasniewski

(07-10-2010, 01:40 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]In the Latin Mass magazine there is an article about what Church's are supposed to look like and why it's important they look like well..Catholic Church's.

Here are a couple of quotes from the article...

"The church building and its furnishings ought to convey a sense of something one, visibly and tangibly one, that is greater than all of our differences...an architecture that remains in continuity with ecclesiastical Tradition."

"Recognizable sacred imagery and elements--for example, a prominent crucifix of the pierced Savior, statues of the Saints, many real candles, a dominant and dazzling tabernacle--stress the continuity with the apostolic Faith, in this way guarding the unity of the Church and offering an ongoing catechesis of the Faithful.

The article points out that when you walk into a Church your eyes should be drawn upwards to the Holy of Holies. The whole article can be found online here...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/32687246/What-...wasniewski

Good article. And I the perpetual pessimist even have to admit that most new Churches are being built in more traditional manner. I think the days of the round Churches are in the past.
(07-10-2010, 10:30 PM)Baskerville Wrote: [ -> ]Good article. And I the perpetual pessimist even have to admit that most new Churches are being built in more traditional manner. I think the days of the round Churches are in the past.

Faith! Your pessimism is not unfounded, and do not be so ready to abandon it! Don't you know we are living in a zoo today? a real menagerie? They will have their round churches and we will have our traditional churches. And the low-churchers and the high-churchers, we all have our little corner, just so long as we can all hug and kiss and be okay.
That is a brilliant article, and though I agree I really love the traditional churches. I also love these more modern ones too. Change is good....change in how a church is supposed to look is I think really good because then it draws us more to them...younger generation Smile (I'm twenty) :p
(07-11-2010, 05:06 PM)Pomprincess Wrote: [ -> ]That is a brilliant article, and though I agree I really love the traditional churches. I also love these more modern ones too. Change is good....change in how a church is supposed to look is I think really good because then it draws us more to them...younger generation Smile (I'm twenty) :p

I have to disagree, I don't see anything with these modern church buildings that draw anyone to them. Just like the NO Church I go to after work for adoration, it's like any other building...the only thing that attracts me to it is Our Lord is there.

"I have to disagree, I don't see anything with these modern church buildings that draw anyone to them. Just like the NO Church I go to after work for adoration, it's like any other building...the only thing that attracts me to it is Our Lord is there."

I agree Peter. The Old Testament does specify how  a church ought to look, although I understand it is not saying that a church must look like that. Architectural beauty sprang from an age and people that valued beauty for the sake of beauty, not practicality or profit. Times have changed.  sad