FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Are there any traditional Orders left?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi everyone. So a few months back during the last month of the semester, I was taking a religious studies course called "The Catholic Church in the Modern World." It was a pretty good class, it was more history than theology but at the end of the Semester, we got to Vatican II. One of the assignments was to write about why we thought Vatican II was a great thing. It wasn't "give your thoughts, based on the class, on Vatican II" but as paper on why we loved it. I wrote my paper on why I, as a Catholic, could not find Vatican II to be a great thing. The professor, fortunately, didn't give me too hard of a time, just said that I was "old fashioned." Then he challenged me to go into more depth and if I felt like it, write a research paper over the summer (not for credit) explaining if and why I was opposed to the News Mass, modernism, etc.

So as of now I've been working on it all summer. It's going pretty well, I'm on page 17 at the moment. One issue though that I'm finding hard to address are if there are any traditional branches of the ancient orders, in union with Rome, or sede? I'm not referring to the FSSP, SSPX or CRNJ. I mean like Franciscans, Dominicans, etc who celebrate only the Latin Mass? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Benedictines in Clear Creek in Oklahoma

Carmelite Monks in Wyoming

Franciscans of the Immaculate are a mix in CT, NY, MA, WI
Canons Regular of the New Jerusalem follow the Augustinian rule.

There is also a group of traditional Dominicans in France.
I've heard that a Teresian Carmel is in the process of being founded now.
Also you could look up the Transalpine Redemptorists (they really could not have a cooler name 8)  )

Also, kudos on your paper :)
I know of two:

http://www.christthekingabbey.org/  (Benedictine - sede / independent)

http://www.willingshepherds.org/  (Dominican - sede)
mike6240 Wrote:http://www.christthekingabbey.org/   (Benedictine - sede / independent)

Terce at 5am?
None at 11am?
Compline at 7:30pm?

Of all people one would think that the Benedictines would keep the proper times for the Office.
i find insulting that somebody would promote "sede" orders in this thread.

If discussion of "sedes" is not allowed in this part of the Board promotion of it should also be regulated.
(07-15-2010, 01:33 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]i find insulting that somebody would promote "sede" orders in this thread.

If discussion of "sedes" is not allowed in this part of the Board promotion of it should also be regulated.

I don't see where any promotion has taken place... yet.  From the original post:

(07-15-2010, 12:19 PM)vtcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]One issue though that I'm finding hard to address are if there are any traditional branches of the ancient orders, in union with Rome, or sede? I'm not referring to the FSSP, SSPX or CRNJ. I mean like Franciscans, Dominicans, etc who celebrate only the Latin Mass? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I think the post by mike6240 was devoid of any promotion; he just answered the original poster's question, no?

You are right.

I apologize to the poster and withdraw my complaint.
Thanks for the links and such folks, it's helped me a great deal. I'm up to twenty pages now. I don't think my professor I actually thought I'd take up his offer.
Pages: 1 2 3