FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Bp Matano of Burlington, VT to celebrate TLM 8/15 at Co-Cathedral
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just giving a heads-up that Bishop Salvatore Matano of Burlington, VT will be celebrating the TLM for the Solemnity of the Assumption on Sunday, August 15th at 11:00AM at St. Joseph's Co-Cathedral in Burlington, VT.

The good Bishop does a wonderful TLM.  I've been to a couple.  Sang in the schola for one of them.  Here's the news story with a video from his first TLM in Vermont on the Feast of the Assumption 2007: http://www.wptz.com/news/13904141/detail.html

I don't think there are many Vermonters here, but if you're within driving distance, it's well worth it.  Beautiful church, proper music, Mass offered by the Bishop........ ya can't beat it.  And his homilies are always top-notch, so you won't be disappointed.
So glad that it will be at the Co-Cathedral and not the "upside down bathtub" that is the Cathedral... I'm so bummed! I had to travel to Montreal all school year last year to get to the Latin Mass from Burlington, and now the Bishop will offer this Mass the week after I leave Vermont vacation and a week before I return for college!
I was hoping Bishop Matano was going to push more Latin Masses  but the only one he has is on a Saturday at 4PM an unheard of practice in 1962 when there was no Saturday masses for your sunday obligation. He's been somewhat disapointing.
(07-17-2010, 10:47 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]I was hoping Bishop Matano was going to push more Latin Masses  but the only one he has is on a Saturday at 4PM an unheard of practice in 1962 when there was no Saturday masses for your sunday obligation. He's been somewhat disapointing.

Don't give up on him yet.  He came into [arguably] the most faithless, liberal state in the nation, and spent his first 5 years here sorting out a bunch of lawsuits.  Praise God those are finally over, as of about 2 months ago.  Regarding the Mass, I can attest to the fact that the overall state of the Liturgy has improved greatly in VT since he took over in 2005.  Hopefully he can focus more attention on the TLM now, with the lawsuits behind him.  He is fully supportive of priests learning/saying the TLM.  I pray that Bp. Matano will continue to lead by example, and encourage other priests to learn to offer according to the 1962 missal.  I know of several priests who are at least interested in the TLM.  We'll see where it leads.

By the way, that Saturday TLM no longer exists.  The priest who was doing it is retired.

vtcatholic - sorry you won't be here!  Yeah, I don't think you could have a TLM in that Cathedral.  The co-cathedral is beautiful, though.

(07-17-2010, 11:54 PM)PatrickTorsell Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-17-2010, 10:47 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]I was hoping Bishop Matano was going to push more Latin Masses  but the only one he has is on a Saturday at 4PM an unheard of practice in 1962 when there was no Saturday masses for your sunday obligation. He's been somewhat disapointing.

Don't give up on him yet.  He came into [arguably] the most faithless, liberal state in the nation, and spent his first 5 years here sorting out a bunch of lawsuits.  Praise God those are finally over, as of about 2 months ago.  Regarding the Mass, I can attest to the fact that the overall state of the Liturgy has improved greatly in VT since he took over in 2005.  Hopefully he can focus more attention on the TLM now, with the lawsuits behind him.  He is fully supportive of priests learning/saying the TLM.  I pray that Bp. Matano will continue to lead by example, and encourage other priests to learn to offer according to the 1962 missal.  I know of several priests who are at least interested in the TLM.  We'll see where it leads.

By the way, that Saturday TLM no longer exists.  The priest who was doing it is retired.

vtcatholic - sorry you won't be here!  Yeah, I don't think you could have a TLM in that Cathedral.  The co-cathedral is beautiful, though.

Beautiful indeed. I'm an SSPX church goer, but I could never pass up a TLM by the Bishop Matano... hopefully he'll offer another one in the future. This is o/t but do you mind if I PM you with a question regarding the Bishop?
So there are NO Gregorian(ExtraOrdinary Rite) Masses in the Diocese of Burlington now?
(07-17-2010, 11:59 PM)vtcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]Beautiful indeed. I'm an SSPX church goer, but I could never pass up a TLM by the Bishop Matano... hopefully he'll offer another one in the future. This is o/t but do you mind if I PM you with a question regarding the Bishop?

Sure, no problem.  I think my email is in my profile as well if you'd prefer.  Regarding offering another in the future, I don't know for sure about this year, but he usually does one for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception 12/8.  He actually just said a TLM in West Rutland a couple of weeks ago.  I'll let you know when he's doing another.  Actually, you should send him a letter to thank him for offering the TLM, and request that he do it more often/encourage more priests to learn.  He will respond personally, and quickly.  The address, in case you're interested:

His Excellency Bishop Salvatore Matano
351 North Avenue
PO Box 489
Burlington, VT 05402-0489

salus - correct, there are no weekly TLMs in VT right now.  Hopefully that will be changing in the near future.
A bishop can only do so much.  He can't "push" a Latin Mass in the diocese if there are no priests willing or able to say it.  Which, in many diocese, wouldn't be a surprise at all. 
Just wanted to bump this since the Assumption is approaching (I'll bump it again at the end of the week).  Hopefully some of you can make it.