FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Catechesis Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So, I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate place for this thread, but I wanted to post in a place where a lot of people would be able to respond.

My boyfriend is going to be teaching 6th grade CCD (or Sunday school or whatever they're calling it these days) at his N.O. parish. (We'd both like to attend the TLM, but for reasons unrelated to this post, we're going to be hanging out in the N.O. for at least another school year.)

The director of religious education at my boyfriend's parish gave him the materials that he will need to use when he begins teaching CCD come September. He's been looking over these materials and, to be honest, they're theologically questionable. One of the contributors to the course materials, for example, is a laicized priest.

So my question for all of you is: Can anyone here recommend some resources that are more theologically sound, perhaps more traditionally-inclined, that my boyfriend could use to augment the materials that he has to use? Don't get me wrong--no one is trying to undermine the religious education director's chosen course materials. We are just trying to find some other resources that will reinforce what the Church teaches.

For reference: There are a number of topics that he will have to teach throughout the school year, including the standards (the Liturgy, Saints, Sacraments, &c.) and each week's lesson will be based on the readings for that week.

Thanks in advance!
How about try use the catechism of the catholic church. true, traditionalists tend to prefer the roman catechism, but at least it is something that will help put bad theology in perspective. so the ''required materials'' can be put in perspective by the corresponding topic being dealt with in the catechism. For the most part the catechism is good, only that one could say certain areas aren't clear in their precise meaning. Again, since your dealing with people who likely have no clue about the faith (why else would they promote bad material as being required), the new catechism is a good starting point. On the bonus side it stresses issues which weren't relevant back when the roman catechism was promulgated (e.g.: contraception, ivf,  ...etc).

How about try asking, why is questionable material being required in the first place?
I recommend Baltimore Catechism No. 1 or No. 2 (maybe No. 1, if these are typical PSR kids)
http://www.amazon.com/Saint-Joseph-Balti...988&sr=8-9
http://www.amazon.com/New-Saint-Joseph-B...859&sr=8-1

Some notes from Fr. Bennet give an incomplete view (like his explanation on EENS), but for the most part, this is an excellent catechism with some good thought-provoking questions.

No. 1 contains the basics of the Faith.
No. 2 is more in-depth.
Just a little more. If the kids are in 6th grade you might want to try the Baltimore #3. That's what was used back before Vatican 11 to get us ready for Confirmation in 7th grade.. It is aimed at 12 year olds. Tan Books has it Baltimore Catechism No. 3 Father Collins Confraternity Edition. Of course the kids need to know as much of the faith as is in the preceding Catechism No.2.
Pray ave for y'all
tim
I grown up in a communist country and was forced to learn from textbooks rewritten by the communist every year according to the latest ideology. Most of my teachers focused on what was good and trough and taught of their own way what was questionable in the textbook. We were able clearly to distinguish between the two.

You and your boyfriend may leave the participation in the CCD, or you should accept what was given to you, without open disagreement.

Simply the fact that a priest left the Church for any reason, and later remorse his action and asked for reconciliation, (which if he is married can be only through laicization) does not mean that his book is theologically questionable. In any way no one without proper jurisdiction is allowed to judge about which is theologically sound and what is not. The problem with our Church is that people in both side belive that they are the depository of the truth against the hierarchy.
(07-18-2010, 02:27 AM)Penelope Wrote: [ -> ]So my question for all of you is: Can anyone here recommend some resources that are more theologically sound, perhaps more traditionally-inclined, that my boyfriend could use to augment the materials that he has to use? Don't get me wrong--no one is trying to undermine the religious education director's chosen course materials. We are just trying to find some other resources that will reinforce what the Church teaches.

The Church made a Catechism for the sole purpose of being the basis for those instructing others (priests, at the time). The Catechism of the Council of Trent would be the ideal source to compare content (and agree with the Catechism of Trent if there is a problem). For use, the Baltimore Catechisms are ideal. They are designed for this and were used for many years (to the extent most people catechised with them can quote them).

These can be found online if you want to print them out or just reference them.

Here is a Baltimore Catechism (just google for them): http://www.catholicity.com/baltimore-catechism/

(07-18-2010, 05:38 AM)timoose Wrote: [ -> ]Just a little more. If the kids are in 6th grade you might want to try the Baltimore #3. That's what was used back before Vatican 11 to get us ready for Confirmation in 7th grade.. It is aimed at 12 year olds. Tan Books has it Baltimore Catechism No. 3 Father Collins Confraternity Edition. Of course the kids need to know as much of the faith as is in the preceding Catechism No.2.
Pray ave for y'all
tim

St. Joseph's Baltimore Catechism #3--that's a good one, but ya gotta watch those kid's names in the "Problems and Exercises" page. They make the kids crack up. "Urban, a boy with a fiery disposition", or "Hugo" or "Cornelius"--and that was all just from one page (p. 142). lol.  LOL
Sorry, I didn't read the post properly. The official catechism of the catholic church would be too wordy for 6 graders.
(07-18-2010, 02:27 AM)Penelope Wrote: [ -> ]So my question for all of you is: Can anyone here recommend some resources that are more theologically sound, perhaps more traditionally-inclined, that my boyfriend could use to augment the materials that he has to use? Don't get me wrong--no one is trying to undermine the religious education director's chosen course materials. We are just trying to find some other resources that will reinforce what the Church teaches.

You are trying to mix oil and water. Forget it.

The NO he chooses to remain at and teach at, did and continues to do everything possible to remain theologically unsound. What is he thinking?

Start teaching from the Baltimore Catechism or try to infuse tradition into the NO teachings and your boyfriend will find himself an outcast, given the boot - or will soon realize on his own that he is trying to mix oil and water.

(07-18-2010, 07:23 AM)Stubborn Wrote: [ -> ]

You are trying to mix oil and water. Forget it.

The NO he chooses to remain at and teach at, did and continues to do everything possible to remain theologically unsound. What is he thinking?

Start teaching from the Baltimore Catechism or try to infuse tradition into the NO teachings and your boyfriend will find himself an outcast, given the boot - or will soon realize on his own that he is trying to mix oil and water.

Tell me stubborn, how is the Church going to be 'restored' if orthodox catholics completely back off from regular parishes? I'm not discounting the value of trad 'bastions', but there needs to be people acting in the 'mainstream' as well to help fight the current mess. And be careful to claim that all 'NO' churches are automatically suspect. You do get good priests in the 'NO structure' doing their part.
Pages: 1 2 3 4