FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Patriarch Kyrill Says Pope gives Reason to Hope
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Edit: there were many years when the Moscow Patriarchate was in union with Rome when Constantinople wasn't.  Now it is the Patriarch who gives cause for hope.

**Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kyrill I. praised the Pope and spoke of the "complete agreement" of the Catholic and Orthodox Church in many public and moral questions: the Pope gives reason for hope.**

Kiev/Moscow (kath.net/KNA) The Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kyrill I praised Pope Benedict because of his moral values.  The bearing of this Pope "gives us reasons for optimism", said the Moscow Patriarch on Monday.

http://eponymousflower.blogspot.com/2010...cause.html
"Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart"..."consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart"..."consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart"..."consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart"..."consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart"..."consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart"..."consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart"...
From your lips to Pope Bendict XVI's guardian angel.
tim
If Moscow goes to Rome, the rest of the Orthodox will follow.  Constantinople might hold precedence, but Moscow has the power.  We should pray that relations between Moscow and Rome continue to improve.
(07-19-2010, 02:31 PM)MeaMaximaCulpa Wrote: [ -> ]If Moscow goes to Rome, the rest of the Orthodox will follow.  Constantinople might hold precedence, but Moscow has the power.  We should pray that relations between Moscow and Rome continue to improve.

Any institutional union, though, must be accompanied by unity of faith. If the Eastern Orthodox ever return to the holy Catholic Church en masse, they must accept papal primacy and infallibility, the Immaculate Conception, the Assumption, and all other Catholic dogmas.
Most of the supposed doctrinal issues the Orthodox claim to have (or that Catholics claim they have with us) are non-issues.  The only real issues is the Papacy.  The other things we agree on but language has proven a barrier.

Things like the Filioque, the Assumption, and the Immaculate Conception are things both sides feel similarly about but these ideas are worded differently.  Both sides believe that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father through the Son (the causal origin being the Father).  The Assumption is called the Dormition in the East (even in Eastern Catholic parlance) and effectively says the same thing as the Assumption doctrine - likewise with the Immaculate Conception.

If they can accept Papal Primacy the other things can all be worked out in due time.
Ya from my studies Orthodoxy doesn't even know what it thinks. Some will say they don't believe in purgatory, some say do but word it different ; some believe tollhouse doctrine some say its heresy; so there doctrinal chaos there whoch will never be resolved and noone cares. Sad state of affairs. All in the name of not being papist. I'm so glad we have the papacy.
Don't forget the hymn to pope leo before the schism that reeks of papal primacy and the byzantine patriarch saying thomas aquinas was wrong for not believing in the immaculate conception. They must return to the faith. If moscow does,  I do believe in domino theory for this one.

Tiocfaidh ar la

Pax
(07-19-2010, 07:17 PM)randomtradguy Wrote: [ -> ]Ya from my studies Orthodoxy doesn't even know what it thinks. Some will say they don't believe in purgatory, some say do but word it different ; some believe tollhouse doctrine some say its heresy; so there doctrinal chaos there whoch will never be resolved and noone cares. Sad state of affairs. All in the name of not being papist. I'm so glad we have the papacy.
Don't forget the hymn to pope leo before the schism that reeks of papal primacy and the byzantine patriarch saying thomas aquinas was wrong for not believing in the immaculate conception. They must return to the faith. If moscow does,  I do believe in domino theory for this one.

Tiocfaidh ar la

Pax

I've personally had some Orthodox tell me they think the Bishop of Rome is of some importance and shouldnt be regarded as just another Patriarch, but they cannot tell me *what* importance that is.  Truly they are a mess, although certain national Churches are worse than others.
From time to time we hear a little something like this and makes for a little more hope. It makes me smile to think of Russia as an Eastern Catholic Country and their fierce fighters defending the Papacy. That'd be very cool and it appeals to my sense of history.
tim
(07-19-2010, 07:47 PM)timoose Wrote: [ -> ]From time to time we hear a little something like this and makes for a little more hope. It makes me smile to think of Russia as an Eastern Catholic Country and their fierce fighters defending the Papacy. That'd be very cool and it appeals to my sense of history.
tim

The Russians dont have as much of ingrained sense of distrust for the Pope as some other Orthodox do.  Reunion with the Serbian Orthodox would probably be the most difficult, as they are quick to associate the Catholic Church and the Pope with their often-enemies, the Croats.
Pages: 1 2