FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: trads in ct
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
introibo Wrote:I didn't think the Legionnaires were friendly to the trad Mass.  I thought they kind of marched lock step with the novus ordo, but I could be wrong. 

It depends what you mean by "Novus Ordo."

During the summer of 2007 I assisted at a father-son camp the Legion was hosting. One evening before tucking in I had a chat with a man who worked with the Legion's paper The National Catholic Reporter, and was also helping with the camp. We got to talking about Summorum Pontificum, which was hot news in those days. The gentleman told me, "Yeah, all these guys [the priests] are learning the old Mass." That was three years ago. While things have happened to shake the Legion in the meantime, I have high suspicions that the '62 ceremonies are popular with their priests, and a subject of their study. The most highly versed priest I ever met in Lation was not from the SSPX, but rather from the Legion. He was a German who was studying for his doctorate in the Latin language.
can a diocesan priest have all the sacrements done in his church in the old form (baptism, funeral, confirmation...?) ???
russiaphile Wrote:can a diocesan priest have all the sacrements done in his church in the old form (baptism, funeral, confirmation...?) ???

I do not believe so, unless the parish had a special designation from the bishop. A priest could not declare on his own initiative that every Mass in S. X's parish was going to be according to the '62 books. If the gripe of traditionalists was that they were practically shutout of the life of the Church for some decades, then this would be the same for folk attached to the revised books.
i cannot think of his Excellency Mansel doing such an act...
(07-24-2010, 07:46 PM)russiaphile Wrote: [ -> ]can a diocesan priest have all the sacrements done in his church in the old form (baptism, funeral, confirmation...?) ???

I don't think a diocesan priest can use the old rites exclusively (unless he has permission from the Ordinary, as Credo suggests) but he MAY offer them to anyone who asks. So if you ask a priest to administer a baptism, confirmation, wedding or such according to the 1962 books, he may do it if he likes.

Diocesan priests and deacons may also fulfill their obligation to pray the Office using the 1962 Breviary, or sing it publicly in church.
Credo,

When did the FFI switch to the Old Mass exclusively? Or do you mean their contemplative sisters? I hope you're right!
(07-25-2010, 12:22 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-24-2010, 07:46 PM)russiaphile Wrote: [ -> ]can a diocesan priest have all the sacrements done in his church in the old form (baptism, funeral, confirmation...?) ???

I don't think a diocesan priest can use the old rites exclusively (unless he has permission from the Ordinary, as Credo suggests) but he MAY offer them to anyone who asks. So if you ask a priest to administer a baptism, confirmation, wedding or such according to the 1962 books, he may do it if he likes.

Diocesan priests and deacons may also fulfill their obligation to pray the Office using the 1962 Breviary, or sing it publicly in church.

Actually I have heard the opposite. I read somewhere that the CDF had stated that an diocesan may replace any NO with the TLM and did not need permission from the Bishop. However I read that a while back and do not remember where, it might have been Father Z's website.
(07-25-2010, 01:39 AM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-25-2010, 12:22 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]

It depends on the pastoral situation. Say for example a diocesan priest lived in some trad strong hold in France where the vast majority of the parish wanted the Old Mass then I imagine he'd be justified in having an exclusively traditional Mass schedule. I doubt that situation will arise any time soon though. There was such a parish in a French village but the liberal bishop moved the priest. There's videos of the parishioners protesting on youtube somewhere.
Actually I have heard the opposite. I read somewhere that the CDF had stated that an diocesan may replace any NO with the TLM and did not need permission from the Bishop. However I read that a while back and do not remember where, it might have been Father Z's website.
The Franciscans of the Immaculate, who have recently switched entirely to the '62 rituals, operate from the eastern part of the state (http://marymediatrix.com/communities/gri...delegation)

I'm a tertiary of this order and we have not switched to the '62 rituals.  The TLM is offered frequently in Griswold and is also offered in other friaries in the U.S.
There is a convent in England that has switched over entirely, saying the traditional office as well. There may be other FI friaries or convents in the world where this has occured. But it definitely cannot be said that the friaries and the convent in the U.S. are using the '62 rituals entirely.
Pages: 1 2