FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Failed attempt for communion in the hand at today's TLM in Philly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
I saw a fascinating spectacle today at the diocesan TLM I regularly attend (Our Lady of Lourdes) in Philadelphia.

There are regularly 40-50 people that attend the 7:30 am.  Today there was a new person.  Nothing odd about that,  occasionally someone comes to see the TLM or is passing through or regularly goes to one of the other TLMs in the diocese due to scheduling.  But you do recognize a lot of faces in the relatively small trad circle in a huge archdiocese.

But the physical attitude of this person was markedly different during Mass, arm slung over the back of the pew, very casual.  Casual dress too casual for mass  but neat, not gym clothes and flip flops.

But the moment that really caught my eye was watching him try to get communion in the hand from the priest who gently offered it on the tongue and when the person was insistent on getting it in the hand, the priest simply moved on down the communion rail. 

This fella then stood and tried to follow the priest, putting his hands in the "recieving position" reaching over and  right up at the priest's face above the heads of the people kneeling at the communion rail.  It wasn't a physical assault but it was obvious this guy was trying to make some kind of idiotic statement. 

Virtually everyone ignored him and just kept going to communion in the traditional way. 

He then turned back, started to go back to his pew and then decided otherwise and made his way haltingly out of the Church. 

This person did not look like a vagrant or an ignorant Novus Ordo person who didn't know or a mentally disturbed person.  This was apparently someone seeking to cause problems in the TLM. 

I'm curious if other people have encountered this and what other stunts people are pulling in order to disrupt the TLM. 

Kudos and prayers of support  to the priest, Fr. Burke (parochial Vicar of the Cathedral Basilica ) who was a substitute priest for us today.  He said a beautiful mass and was the epitome of composure and prudence and control of his Mass today. 

While I sympathize with the priest, I think that what he did is against the rules and he could get in trouble if the man complains.
Actually it's not against the rules. Under the rubrics for the TLM the Communicant receives on the tongue. As our priest told us during the swine flu scam, he said if you want to receive in the hand then go to the NO.

(07-25-2010, 02:43 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]While I sympathize with the priest, I think that what he did is against the rules and he could get in trouble if the man complains.
No, the priest did what was right in every way. Receiving in the hand is not the norm. It is something which is given special permission (although, many of the bishops have given it, so it is common). It is like the use of the vernacular and female altar servers. It isn't the norm and only granted by special permission in the NO. It does not apply to the TLM regardless of what permission is given.

I would think the man is already excommunicate, because he deliberately attempted to defile the Eucharist.
(07-25-2010, 02:43 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]While I sympathize with the priest, I think that what he did is against the rules and he could get in trouble if the man complains.

I don't think in this case, the priest did anything wrong.  The man was obviously an agitator there to cause trouble.  I doubt the Parochial Vicar of the Cathedral has much to worry about.  
(07-25-2010, 02:47 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]Actually it's not against the rules. Under the rubrics for the TLM the Communicant receives in the hand. As our priest told us during the swine flu scam, he said if you want to receive in the hand then go to the NO.

Don't you mean the Communicant receives on the tongue?  Or am I misunderstanding what you are trying to say?
Actually, I think the priest was in error here.  The 1962 Roman Missal does not describe the distribution of Communion.  And whatever document was in force regarding this in 1962, it does not come back into force today simply because Mass is being celebrated according to the 1962 Missal.  In those places where permission has been given for Communion in the hand, I believe it must apply to Mass celebrated according to both the Novus Ordo and 1962 Missals.  Not that I think this should be encouraged or even mentioned, but...there it is.
I am not aware of any definitive posiiton on this situation.

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2010/07/pont-comm...-the-hand/

Apparently, neither is Father Z.
(07-25-2010, 03:08 PM)cgraye Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, I think the priest was in error here.  The 1962 Roman Missal does not describe the distribution of Communion.  And whatever document was in force regarding this in 1962, it does not come back into force today simply because Mass is being celebrated according to the 1962 Missal.  In those places where permission has been given for Communion in the hand, I believe it must apply to Mass celebrated according to both the Novus Ordo and 1962 Missals.  Not that I think this should be encouraged or even mentioned, but...there it is.

I'm sure there is a legal argument to be made to prevent the unfaithful from receiving in the hand in the TLM.  The whole subject of "in the hand" has been controversial from the beginning.  There is an argument that Communion in the hand is actually illegal since it was initiated only on an experimental basis (bad enough to experiment with sacred things ie: Our Lord Himself)  but for a limited time and since that time has passed, "in the hand" has been illegal.

By thinking the 62 missal has to have anticipated every change of the Novus Ordo is reckless, Communion in the hand, means the door would be open to virtually every novelty of the last 45 years.  

Probably all attacks against the TLM will have to do with any interaction between the priest and the congregation.  Altar girls, extraordinary ministers, pop tunes as hymns, stand instead of kneel.  
translators and sign language for the sermons.  

The Holy Ghost will be officialy called the Holy Spirit.  
My wife and I were there and saw the man's obnoxious actions. A bushel of kudos and prayers to Father Burke for the perfect way he handled the situation. The disgraceful indults for CITH, altar angels, etc. do not apply to the 1962 rubrics, however much the liberal agitators insist they do. We intend to write to Father - if we can locate his email address -  thanking him and encouraging him to continue to resist the agitators' unceasing attempts to destroy the TLM.

As an aside, we had never made Fr. Burke's acquaintence before this morning's Mass. We were surprised and delighted that someone associated with the Basilica in Philly knows how to celebrate the TLM. If only Cardinal Rigali would do likewise but there's no chance of that happening.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16