FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Real history lessons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was reading the lives of the Saints today and the information about today being Our Lady of the Angels. They noted that Christopher Columbus knew there was a plenary indulgence for receiving Holy Communion on August 2nd in 1492 went with his whole crew to Mass. After Mass they finished packing their boat, the Santa Maria (the Holy Mary) and set sail for the New World. It took Columbus 72 days to sail across the ocean. The day of his landing in America was a special feast day of Our Lady, October 12th (Our Lady of the Pillar.) I never even knew he was Catholic never mind had a special devotion to Our Lady. Of course all they teach you in schools is that this mean old white man stole all the land from the Indians and scalped them.

The natives he had slaughtered were a cannibalistic tribe in Haiti whom the wrath of God cried out against. The rest of the Caribbean rejoiced when they heard of that tribe's destruction. They were known as demons in human form.

That's something else they don't teach you.

[Image: 090626-tradition.jpg?w=600&h=750]
(08-02-2010, 01:29 PM)WanderingPenitent Wrote: [ -> ]The natives he had slaughtered were a cannibalistic tribe in Haiti whom the wrath of God cried out against. The rest of the Caribbean rejoiced when they heard of that tribe's destruction. They were known as demons in human form.

That's something else they don't teach you.

Yes, also with Cortez. His destruction of the Aztecs was for the benefit of everyone, and the natives which previous lived and died under Aztec war rituals were given great prosperity over many lands (because the Aztecs were destroyed and because the Spanish rewarded them for helping). Now people only complain about the melting down of the Aztec gold. One doesn't hear them lamenting the destruction of Saddam's statues in Iraq, or the Nazi monuments in Europe.
Indeed. Even atheists I know who simply know their history, when they're reminded of the Aztec destruction, say, "Good riddance."

The film "Apocalypto," as an undercurrent, shows the same fate of the Mayans at the end, demonstrating that the coming of the Spanish was the wrath of God.
This points out that we need to return to real Catholic education system k-12. This should be common knowledge and it is not any longer. My nephew a few years ago graduated from Illinois as a teacher and was assigned to read a book on Mexican spirituality to boost his sense of mission. These people that assign shit like this are devoid of morality. What in the world can a Mexican brujo who sacrificed humans know about spirituality except demonsĀ  ? Multiculturalism at it's best.
tim
Mexican Spirituality? Don't they mean devotion to Our Lady of Guadalupe, affection and celebration for the dearly departed, and a strong love of family, both living, dead, and yet to be born?
(08-02-2010, 02:57 PM)WanderingPenitent Wrote: [ -> ]Mexican Spirituality? Don't they mean devotion to Our Lady of Guadalupe, affection and celebration for the dearly departed, and a strong love of family, both living, dead, and yet to be born?

I think he meant 'indigenous' Mexican spirituality.
(08-02-2010, 12:42 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]I never even knew he was Catholic never mind had a special devotion to Our Lady.

Hmm, well, what else could Columbus have been? Almost all Italians at that time were at least nominally Catholic.

I believe Columbus is worth celebrating for braving the journey across the Atlantic and for his role in history. But there's no good in sanitising the ugly parts of his career, which include kidnapping natives for enslavement and perhaps torture. Those acts were mostly overturned by Fernando and Isabel, and ultimately resulted in Columbus losing his governorship.
The mystery is that Colombo wasn't Genovese. The birth certificate attributed to him is way too young. He isn't Catalan which also has been disproved, through his use of lwritten anguage, but what Country he came from is a mystery.
tim
HIstory is definitely one of the least objective subjects in the education system; it makes more sense to me to analyse both sides of an argument or disputed historical event, as the truth usually lies somewhere in between (or more accurately put, parts of the truth lie on either side and as such they must be gleaned from amongst the propaganda).
Yet you try bringing up things like the Haitian cannibals or the prosperity that Cortez brought to the natives, and you might as well be quoting David Irving in a WWII history class lol...
Pages: 1 2