FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Sola Scriptura Train Wreck
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anyone ever hear of the Westboro Baptist Church?

I remember, in college, going to a counter protest of this fanatical group. These individuals protest at military funerals and other events, holding massive neon signs that say things like, "God hates America", "Priests rape boys", "The Pope is A Lying Whore", "Thank God for More Dead Soldiers", and their most infamous, "God hates Faggots". At one protest someone taped, outside a Catholic church, they held these signs while dancing on a Vatican flag and an American flag (one tied to each of their ankles) singing the song, "Hey, Evil Reprobate Jews" to the tune of the famous Paul McCartney song....

But, after seeing a documentary on them recently, ("The Most Hated Family in America" By BBC) I discovered the following:
-They view their actions as loving because the Bible claims admonishment is an act of spiritual mercy (True)
-They believe abortion is a murderous sin that makes God infuriated (True again...)
-They believe gay marriage is a threat to a nation (Again, moral truth)
-And they finally hate divorce and remarriage..viewing the actions as adultery (Sounds pretty Catholic, right?)

Their moral viewpoint is Biblical in foundation! BUT, assuming the five points of Calvinism as their credo...look what happens. Once you get God predestinating individuals for Hell, and the idea of irresistable grace removing a true sense of merit and punishment from God. The ethical conduct garnered from the Bible falls into a human theological foundation with the capacity to only understand scripture through naturally flawed individual knowledge and heretical leaders who all will end up contradicting each other.

I just find them to be the perfect example of how far "Sola Scriptura" can go, when a Catholic base can be easily seen in scripture and than morphed into fanaticism and wayward, trying-to "Find-Jesus-without-authority" way of thinking...

Take the Theological grounds from Christianity and even the basic ethical points of the Bible can fall down like a house of cards. They are a prime example.
Matt 5:[43] You have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thy enemy. [44] But I say to you, Love your enemies: do good to them that hate you: and pray for them that persecute and calumniate you: [45]  That you may be the children of your Father who is in heaven, who maketh his sun to rise upon the good, and bad, and raineth upon the just and the unjust.

This below is not sole Scripture: this is picking from the Scripture for the suggestion of the self, Satan, anybody but God

(08-04-2010, 02:22 PM)CrossDaily777 Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone ever hear of the Westboro Baptist Church?

I remember, in college, going to a counter protest of this fanatical group. These individuals protest at military funerals and other events, holding massive neon signs that say things like, "God hates America", "Priests rape boys", "The Pope is A Lying Whore", "Thank God for More Dead Soldiers", and their most infamous, "God hates Faggots". At one protest someone taped, outside a Catholic church, they held these signs while dancing on a Vatican flag and an American flag (one tied to each of their ankles) singing the song, "Hey, Evil Reprobate Jews" to the tune of the famous Paul McCartney song....

But, after seeing a documentary on them recently, ("The Most Hated Family in America" By BBC) I discovered the following:
-They view their actions as loving because the Bible claims admonishment is an act of spiritual mercy (True)
-They believe abortion is a murderous sin that makes God infuriated (True again...)
-They believe gay marriage is a threat to a nation (Again, moral truth)
-And they finally hate divorce and remarriage..viewing the actions as adultery (Sounds pretty Catholic, right?)

Their moral viewpoint is Biblical in foundation! BUT, assuming the five points of Calvinism as their credo...look what happens. Once you get God predestinating individuals for Hell, and the idea of irresistable grace removing a true sense of merit and punishment from God. The ethical conduct garnered from the Bible falls into a human theological foundation with the capacity to only understand scripture through naturally flawed individual knowledge and heretical leaders who all will end up contradicting each other.

I just find them to be the perfect example of how far "Sola Scriptura" can go, when a Catholic base can be easily seen in scripture and than morphed into fanaticism and wayward, trying-to "Find-Jesus-without-authority" way of thinking...

Take the Theological grounds from Christianity and even the basic ethical points of the Bible can fall down like a house of cards. They are a prime example.
And they forgot Matthew 5:22.
Yet, if you hear them interview, they know the scriptures like the back of their hands and they have a theological and scripture response for everything they do. I would say some of them have memorized large Bible portions.
Their hearts are in the right place but their heads aren't. The Bible without the Church is worthless, just as a house without a master.

"Tu es Petrus" (Matt. 16:18), there's no way to get around this.
(08-04-2010, 02:37 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: [ -> ]And they forgot Matthew 5:22.

Matt 5:22 doesn't mean you can never criticize anybody. I started a thread on this recently.
They're just bad people.
I doubt if I told them raqa or called them fools that Our Lord disagree
The idea that we get our faith JUST from Scripture is easily shown to be a fallacy by reading the first lines of St. Paul's letters. It say's Paul's letters to the Collosians, or Thessalonians etc etc, this clearly shows that that the church existed before Scripture because then St. Paul couldn't have sent these letters. He is sending them to the Catholic Church in that town.
(08-04-2010, 05:43 PM)randomtradguy Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-04-2010, 02:37 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: [ -> ]And they forgot Matthew 5:22.

Matt 5:22 doesn't mean you can never criticize anybody. I started a thread on this recently.
They're just bad people.
I meant if the WBC was sola scriptura they forgot to read Matthew.
(08-04-2010, 04:39 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]"Tu es Petrus" (Matt. 16:18), there's no way to get around this.

Pages: 1 2