FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: St. Laurence
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
His feat day is coming up on August 10th and I was reading up on him. Talk about a role model...I wish I could have his disposition in the small amount of physical pain I have sometimes...

Saint Laurence was martyred by being roasted over a slow fire. His jovial spirit remained with him in his pain, for to his tormentors he said: “I am roasted enough on this side; you may turn me over.” Can you remain cheerful in the midst of physical pain?

(08-07-2010, 01:35 AM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]Can you remain cheerful in the midst of physical pain?

Depends on the kind of pain and the situation...sometimes it's just plain funny...even though it hurts.....being roasted on the other hand...I'm having a hard time finding a situation where I'd find it amusing enough to laugh and joke.
I think he might not have even been telling a joke but was actually trying to help the torturers out. He realized he had cooked enough that he no longer felt pain and so decided to point it out to them as a whim of charity.

I already know if state persecutor put a gun to my head and told me that if I claimed to serve Christ I he would shoot me, I would say, "Then you better not miss." and put the muzzle in my mouth.
Here are the antiphons from his office for those who are bugged by the statement prayers. This is one of the oldest office

[Ant Vespera] (and Lauds)
Laurentius ingressus est * Martyr, et confessus est nomen Domini Jesu Christi
Laurentius * bonum opus operatus est, qui per signum crucis caecos illuminavit.
Adhaesit anima mea * post te, quia caro mea igne cremata est pro te Deus meus.
Misit Dominus * Angelum suum, et liberavit me de medio ignis, et non sum aestuatus.
Beatus Laurentius * orabat, dicens: Gratias tibi ago Domine, quia januas tuas ingredi merui.

[Ant Matutinum]
Quo progrederis * sine filio pater? quo sacerdos sancte sine ministro properas?;;1
Noli me derelinquere pater sancte, * quia thesauros tuos jam expendi, quos tradidisti mihi;;2
Non ego te desero * fili, neque derelinquo: sed majora tibi debentur pro Christi fide certamina;;3

Beatus Laurentius * orabat, dicens: Domine Jesu Christe, Deus de Deo, miserere mihi servo tuo;;4
Dixit Romanus * ad beatum Laurentium: Video ante te juvenem pulcherrimum, festina me baptizaire;;5
Beatus Laurentius * dixit: Mea nox obscurum non habet, sed omnia in luce clarescunt;;8

Strinxerunt corporis * membra posita super craticulam: subjicientibus prunas insultat Levita Christi;;14
Igne me examinasti, * et non est inventa in me iniquitas;;16
Interrogatus * te Dominum confessus sum, assatus gratias ago;;20
St. Laurence has always been one of my favorite saints. I love his story. It is so inspiring.  My husband and I named our youngest son after him.............but we call him "Lance" for short, instead of "Larry". Smile
The parish I grew up in was St. Lawrence Church in Cincinnati (1870). There are 14 stained glass windows that still stand like radiant guards along the east and west aisles of the church. Three of those windows depict scenes from the life of our parish patron saint: Lawrence tortured on the gridiron, Lawrence distributing alms to the poor, and Lawrence presenting to the prefect the "treasures" of the church - the poor, crippled and blind. That was the one that touched me the most.

I have photos of all stained glass windows of my church. The original photos are HUGE and I resized just the ones of St. Lawrence to post here. A few years ago I posted these at Fish Eaters and asked those of you familiar with Latin to help me with the verse in the banner (held by the angel) in the upper arch of the window. You guys came to my rescue, and my pastor told me where the verses came from in the Bible.

In honor of St. Lawrence and his feast, I'd like to show those photos now (again), and give the Latin verse in the banner and its English translation:   

The Martyrdom of St. Lawrence
[Image: lawrence1.jpg]
The banner reads: Igne Me Examinasti, which means, “thou hast tried me by fire.”
The words are taken from Psalm 16:3.....
probasti cor meum visitasti nocte,
igne me examinasti et non est inventa in me iniquitas.

Thou hast proved my heart, and visited it by night,
thou hast tried me by fire; and iniquity hath not been found in me.

St. Lawrence Distributing Alms to the Poor
[Image: lawrence2.jpg]
The banner reads: Dispersit Dedit Pauperibus, which means "he has given to the poor."
It comes from Psalm 111:9.....
Dispersit, dedit pauperibus;
justitia ejus manet in sæculum sæculi;
cornu ejus exaltabitur in gloria.

He hath distributed, he hath given to the poor;
his justice remaineth for ever and ever;
his horn shall be exalted in glory.

St. Lawrence Presenting the Treasures of the Church
[Image: lawrence3.jpg]
The banner reads: Caelestes Thesauri, which means "heavenly treasures."
It is inspired from Matthew's Gospel...... Thesaurizate autem vobis thesauros in cælo.

Lay up to yourselves treasures in heaven.
(08-07-2010, 10:52 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]In honor of St. Lawrence and his feast, I'd like to show those photos now (again), and give the Latin verse in the banner and its English translation:   
Thanks for sharing those, how beautiful!
Our daughters attend St. Lawrence School, so I always tell them to pray to him if they ever feel upset/scared/uneasy/whatever at school.
Thanks Lisa, great post. Beautiful pics and great verses to go along with them, too. He's a family saint here, as we have a kid named for St. Laurence, Laura Rose.
Thanks, Jaca and Ralph. The day we took those pictures the sun was really streaming through the window of St. Lawrence presenting the treasures of the church to the prefect. He's so bright it looks like he's transfigured! I always had a special place in my heart for him too. His story is so inspiring.

Laura Rose is a beautiful name. I didn't even think of "Lance" for a boy's name! I like that.
(08-07-2010, 02:06 AM)WanderingPenitent Wrote: [ -> ]I think he might not have even been telling a joke but was actually trying to help the torturers out. He realized he had cooked enough that he no longer felt pain and so decided to point it out to them as a whim of charity.

I already know if state persecutor put a gun to my head and told me that if I claimed to serve Christ I he would shoot me, I would say, "Then you better not miss." and put the muzzle in my mouth.

We'd all like to think we are that brave....and it's free to talk....in America, you'll never have to worry about proving it, despite what the tin-foil hat whackjobs claim about government persecution.
Pages: 1 2 3