FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Beautiful Church Turned into Restaurant/Night Club
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.alma-de-cuba.com/media-gallery/?album=1&gallery=9

Ugh, this is sickening, especially since some of the Catholic art and craftsmanship left behind is more beautiful than what is often found in modern churches.  Who lets this sort of thing happen?  The bishop could have at least sold off the stained glass windows, paintings, and stonework.

Kyrie eleison.
The website's history says the church was "transferred to the Polish community" in 1976. Maybe it means the church was given to a separatist/"old Catholic" church. It then closed in 1978, so it's been in disuse for a very long time.
As a matter of good taste one has a hard time imagining setting up shop in a former church. Whatever the case may be, the souls of the parish's congregants turned ugly long before the physical structure was changed. The outward is a manifestation of the inward.
I would not actually be able to bring myself to go into a club like that or a restaurant or bookstore or whatever...just nuts...I might peer in to see what was going on....but I'd never be able to bring myself to be a cutomer....weird
(08-10-2010, 12:43 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: [ -> ]I would not actually be able to bring myself to go into a club like that or a restaurant or bookstore or whatever...just nuts...I might peer in to see what was going on....but I'd never be able to bring myself to be a cutomer....weird

That's what I'm saying.  I just find it painful to see pictures of a bar and nighclub and then look up and see "Tu Es Petrus" inscribed on the wall.
Sick, to say the least.
Cardinal Mahoney sold the old St. Vibiana's Cathedral in downtown LA to Hollywood types, it now hosts fashion shows and Hollywood parties with the High Altar  intact. He needed to sell it because it wasn't eartquake safe, appparently it is now.
(08-10-2010, 10:35 AM)rbjmartin Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2010, 12:43 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: [ -> ]I would not actually be able to bring myself to go into a club like that or a restaurant or bookstore or whatever...just nuts...I might peer in to see what was going on....but I'd never be able to bring myself to be a cutomer....weird

That's what I'm saying.  I just find it painful to see pictures of a bar and nighclub and then look up and see "Tu Es Petrus" inscribed on the wall.
I agree with you guys. I've often thought it'd be cool to use these churches for something instead of tearing them down, but I don't know if I'd be able to visit this, it's so sad. What a tragedy.
It's sickening what we have permitted to happen to our church and our Church.

We're living in the second Dark Ages. I pray a Saint Francis comes soon to rebuild the ruins.
A Cathedral, too...  >sad

http://www.vibianala.com/index2.html

Pages: 1 2