FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: In lov with the Church, and not Jesus?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
a few days back, my parents had a conniption at me. they interrogated me on my beliefs, the fact that it was the bishops in Union with the Pope(magisterium of bishops) that interpreted Sacred Scripture, and Sacred Tradition. Altho they say that the bible is the only sole rule of faith, and that Jesus never intended for their 2 b a whole Hierarchy, and Papacy, and TLM, but that the mass was only about bing with family and praying 2 God, bcause he couldnt have told us all this ritual in only 3 years. They also loved 2 tell me that i should b Spiritual(focused on God) and not "Religious" (bing in LOV with a church) they also make me meat on fridays during lent and dont pay any attention 2 "man-made" rules... So the ? is, if i only take my beliefs from the Church, am i in love with Jesus or not, and am i following blindly? Huh?
Read your bible. Jesus did found a Church and promised the gates of hell would not prevail against it.

Catholics believe in Christ's promises, Protestants don't.
well they are "technecally catholic" but i call 'em cafeteria catholic...do we as lay people have authority 2 interpret Sacred Scripture, and Tradition
Vetus Ordo Wrote:Read your bible. Jesus did found a Church and promised the gates of hell would not prevail against it.

Considering that a substantial amount of Christians (Protestants, 25%) dispute this, and that another substantial amount (Orthodox, 25%) agree on the concept but disagree on what Church Christ was talking about, one hesitates to say that the above point is manifest. To convince one of the above argument more will need to be done than citing a verse from Scripture.

Quote:Catholics believe in Christ's promises, Protestants don't.

Cheap shot.
(08-10-2010, 10:46 AM)Credo Wrote: [ -> ]
Vetus Ordo Wrote:Read your bible. Jesus did found a Church and promised the gates of hell would not prevail against it.

Considering that a substantial amount of Christians (Protestants, 25%) dispute this, and that another substantial amount (Orthodox, 25%) agree on the concept but disagree on what Church Christ was talking about, one hesitates to say that the above point is manifest. To convince one of the above argument more will need to be done than citing a verse from Scripture.

Quote:Catholics believe in Christ's promises, Protestants don't.

Cheap shot.

Whatever you say, Crypto.
(08-10-2010, 10:36 AM)russiaphile Wrote: [ -> ]well they are "technecally catholic" but i call 'em cafeteria catholic...

There's no such thing as "technically catholic" or "cafeteria catholic". Or you're catholic, or you're not. In order to be one, you have to be baptized and believe (explicitly or implicitly) all that the Church teaches because it was God who revealed it, who cannot deceive nor be deceived.

Unfortunately, by the way you described them, your parents seem to be obstinate heretics. Have patience and pray for them. In the meantime, if you are forced to choose between them and God, choose God.

(08-10-2010, 10:36 AM)russiaphile Wrote: [ -> ]do we as lay people have authority 2 interpret Sacred Scripture, and Tradition

No, we don't.

That is the essence of Protestantism: our private judgement over the Church's judgement which leads to the denial of the Church's authority. Remember Christ's words: "He who hears you, hears Me."
(08-10-2010, 10:46 AM)Credo Wrote: [ -> ]Considering that a substantial amount of Christians (Protestants, 25%) dispute this, and that another substantial amount (Orthodox, 25%) agree on the concept but disagree on what Church Christ was talking about, one hesitates to say that the above point is manifest. To convince one of the above argument more will need to be done than citing a verse from Scripture.

I could give him all the references concerning Papal supremacy right now but I thought I should begin with the most simple one: Matthew 16:18. And I maintain that the point is manifest: it's the Protestants and the Orthodox who have to explain away the obvious meaning of the passage.

Credo Wrote:
Vetus Ordo Wrote:Catholics believe in Christ's promises, Protestants don't.

Cheap shot.

It's the truth, whether you fancy it or not.
Besides obvious, well-worn names like troll, and jimmycarteringizing, fifth columnist, Quisling, and so-forth, is there another, more incisive way to refer to Crypto's activities on the forum?
but do i lead a blind faith?...
(08-10-2010, 11:54 AM)russiaphile Wrote: [ -> ]but do i lead a blind faith?...

How so?
Pages: 1 2 3 4