FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Martyrs of the Faith: the Basilian Nuns of Minsk (Must Read)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Basilian Nuns of Minsk: the ordeals of saintly Mother Makrina (1784-1869)

[Image: page44.jpg]

"On 11 February 1869, Mother Irena Makrina Mieczyslavska, the Ihumena or abbess of the nuns of the Order of St. Basil the Great in White Ruthenia (today the Republic of Belarus), died in the odor of sanctity in the Roman convent of Trinità dei Monti, under the watchful protection of the miraculous image of the Mater Admirabilis there venerated. Many years before, she had offered herself to God as a victim of expiation for the sins committed during the time of the Carnival, and God had granted her yearly an excruciating affliction during these days, which she offered to Him with the greatest patience. This year, God was pleased to end her life of sufferings and prayers for the Church in Ruthenia and in the world and to call her to her eternal reward. His Providence had brought her to die in the centre of Catholic Unity as a witness to the almost unbelievable story of the sufferings for the Faith of the 245 Basilian nuns of what is today Belarus and Lithuania."

You can read the full story here. It's quite moving: http://holyunia.blogspot.com/2010/08/bas...ls-of.html
How far we've come.
(08-11-2010, 08:52 AM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]How far we've come.

So true. Their story is really moving.

May God grant us the courage and perseverance that those nuns had in the face of dire persecution.
Wow. I bet the most heartbreaking part of it all for them was having to leave the others to escape. Everything else they endured together and were spurred on by the knowledge that their sufferings would gain grace for their country, but having to separate for the strong to escape and leave the weak behind? I can't imagine how heartbreaking a decision that would have been.

These examples always make me reflect on the importance of our daily duties. If I can't discipline myself to do even these little things with perseverance and without complaint, how can I ever expect to have the strength of will to do anything harder? We don't know if or when we would ever have to undergo such persecution, but the best preparation seems to be to do our daily duties to the best of our abilities every single day so that the heroic reaction to a larger Cross would come almost naturally.
(08-11-2010, 12:33 PM)wallflower Wrote: [ -> ]These examples always make me reflect on the importance of our daily duties. If I can't discipline myself to do even these little things with perseverance and without complaint, how can I ever expect to have the strength of will to do anything harder? We don't know if or when we would ever have to undergo such persecution, but the best preparation seems to be to do our daily duties to the best of our abilities every single day so that the heroic reaction to a larger Cross would come almost naturally.

This is the most valuable lesson of this story.

Realistically, many of us aren't up to such heroic virtue but we must strive each day to be holier and worthy of the promises of Christ.