FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Discerning priesthood with the old catholic church
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
If you're married or plan to be married, then you don't have a priestly vocation in the Latin Rite, period. 
(08-13-2010, 02:35 PM)PeterII Wrote: [ -> ]If you're married or plan to be married, then you don't have a priestly vocation in the Latin Rite, period. 

Exactly.  God's not calling you to be a schismatic priest.  The SSPX aren't schismatic. The priesthood is not a right, it's a vocation and it sounds like, for all your claims of wanting to "serve", that you actually want to do exactly what you want, regardless of what God wants.  If you think you know better than he does, you are sadly mistaken. 
(08-13-2010, 01:12 PM)dustman Wrote: [ -> ]I am considering pursuing vocations with the old catholic church (...) I would of course only say the traditional mass, and would preach fully in line with catholic tradition. Thoughts?

You're deluding yourself. The questions you should be asking are these:

Can there be any valid apostolic mission outside the Church? No.
Is there salvation outside the Church? No.
Are the old catholics part of the Holy Catholic Church? No.
Does schism or heresy put your soul in grave peril? Yes.

Consider this:

Catholic Encyclopedia Wrote:Filled with ideas of ecclesiastical Liberalism and rejecting the Christian spirit of submission to the teachings of the Church, nearly 1400 Germans issued, in September, 1870, a declaration in which they repudiated the dogma of Infallibility "as an innovation contrary to the traditional faith of the Church". They were encouraged by large numbers of scholars, politicians, and statesmen, and were acclaimed by the Liberal press of the whole world. The break with the Church began with this declaration, which was put forth notwithstanding the fact that the majority of the German bishops issued, at Fulda on 30 August, a common pastoral letter in support of the dogma. It was not until 10 April, 1871, that Bishop Hefele of Rotterdam issued a letter concerning the dogma to his clergy. By the end of 1870 all the Austrian and Swiss bishops had done the same.

The movement against the dogma was carried on with such energy that the first Old Catholic Congress was able to meet at Munich, 22-24 September, 1871. Before this, however, the Archbishop of Munich had excommunicated Döllinger on 17 April 1871, and later also Friedrich. The congress was attended by over 300 delegates from Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, besides friends from Holland, France, Spain, Brazil, Ireland, and the representatives of the Anglican Church, with German and American Protestants. The moving spirit in this and all later assemblies for organization was Johann Friedrich von Schulte, the professor of dogma at Prague. Von Schulte summed up the results of the congress as follows:

* Adherence to the ancient Catholic faith;
    * maintenance of the rights of Catholics as such;
    * rejection of the new dogmas,
    * adherence to the constitutions of the ancient Church with repudiation of every dogma of faith not in harmony with the actual consciousness of the Church;
    * reform of the Church with constitutional participation of the laity;
    * preparation of the way for reunion of the Christian confessions;
    * reform of the training and position of the clergy;
    * adherence to the State against the attacks of Ultramontanism;
    * rejection of the Society of Jesus;
    * solemn assertion of the claims of Catholics as such to the real property of the Church and to the title to it.

Furthermore, the Old Catholics are a dead movement. Read more about them here: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11235b.htm

Finally, remember that "it is absolutely necessary for salvation that every human creature be subject to the Roman Pontiff." (Boniface VIII, ex cathedra, Unam Sanctam)
(08-13-2010, 01:12 PM)dustman Wrote: [ -> ]I have been raised a roman catholic my whole life. I have also had a desire to minister in the church, visit the imprisoned, and minister to the homeless. I am considering pursuing vocations with the old catholic church due to their valid apostolic sucession and they allow married men to minister as a latin rite priest.  I have no desire to be a parish priest, but simply to serve and minister the needy.

Would this put my soul in peril? I fully believe all that the church teaches, although i struggle with papal infallibilty like the old catholics do as well. It really seems like a good fit, and i feel as if i can still remain a part of christs universal church.

I would of course only say the traditional mass, and would preach fully in line with catholic tradition.
Thoughts?
I see a contradiction here. You want to only say the Traditional Mass. The Old Catholics hold the following:
Quote:We agree that, in general, it is more fitting, and in accordance with the spirit of the Church, that the Liturgy should be in the tongue understood by the people.
http://www.oldcatholic.org/14theses.htm

So, where you gonna find a bunch of inmates who are fluent in Latin?
Well-said, Vetus Ordo.

The Old Catholics are indeed dead in the water. They've gone terribly liberal, blessing homosexual marriages and ordaining women priests and denying basic Catholic truths, such as original sin and the need for private, oral confession to a priest. They are proof of what happens to real schismatics - they dry up, become worldly and modernized, and fade away while the Church whom they left continues along, even if wounded and bleeding.

SoCalLocal also made an important observation - Old Catholics don't use the Tridentine Mass, but rather a form of the Novus Ordo rite. Don't delude yourself.
(08-13-2010, 01:17 PM)dustman Wrote: [ -> ]I had a novus ordo priest advise me that if my conscience tells me that it would be serving the lord that i should follow. Especially since the eastern rites have married priests, i fail to see how i am doing evil by spreading christs message.

I bet the priest either doesn't know about what the "Old Catholic" Church really is, or you didn't give him details.

The Old Catholic church isn't just schismatic -- they've gotten themselves entangled with New Age concepts and have completely bastardized themselves.

If what you want is to serve God while being married, there are plenty of alternatives within the REAL Church.  Even within the Eastern rites, but  remember -- if you're not already married when they ordain you, you can't get married later. 
become a deacon!
The OLD CATHOLICS are a cesspool of immorality, there are orders in the church that visit the imprisoned, although today most of the world is imprisoned by their sins and vices which they try to pass off as "normal" Stay in the Barque of St. Peter look for a serious priest who will guide you to what your looking for.
Don't lump the SSPX with the old Catholic Church

You will lose your soul with the old Catholic church who are in schism. This is not God's will for you
(08-13-2010, 01:12 PM)dustman Wrote: [ -> ]I have been raised a roman catholic my whole life. I have also had a desire to minister in the church, visit the imprisoned, and minister to the homeless. I am considering pursuing vocations with the old catholic church due to their valid apostolic sucession and they allow married men to minister as a latin rite priest.  I have no desire to be a parish priest, but simply to serve and minister the needy.

Would this put my soul in peril? I fully believe all that the church teaches, although i struggle with papal infallibilty like the old catholics do as well. It really seems like a good fit, and i feel as if i can still remain a part of christs universal church.

I would of course only say the traditional mass, and would preach fully in line with catholic tradition.
Thoughts?

Good golly man!  Utrecht is modernist to the core!  Their bishops "ordain" women!  They are fudging on sexual morality as well.  Do NOT go there!
Pages: 1 2 3