FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Prophecies of spurious origin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been reading a book called Catholic Prophecy by Yves Dupont (TAN Publishing) and was a bit disappointed that it didn't contain any references to original sources.  This is extremely unwise in a book such as this, since it makes it difficult to ascertain the authencity of prophecies quoted.  For example one of the prophecies claims to be made by a certain "Br John of the Cleft Rock" dating to the 14th century.  Yet when I attempted to find the original material this prophecy was quoted from I hit a brick wall.  I can't even find any biographical information about this person, never mind references to an original document.  Does anyone know anything about this person, or is he a phantom conjured from someone's imagination in the recent past?
I read that book some years ago. It contains a lot of interesting stuff, but Yves Dupont's inclusion of Nostradamus as an "authentic seer" is a bit questionable.
Yeah, in my opinion, Dupont's book is pretty cool.  Just make sure to look at the copyright, man.  It came out in the late seventies.  This was a time (I think) when people weren't so anal about citing their sources as they are today. 

Most of that book is just fine, in my opinon.  St. John of the Cleft Rock?  I haven't heard of him, but I'm well familiar with his prophecy. 

"Towards the end of the world, tyrants and hostile mobs will rob the Church and the clergy of all their possessions and will afflict and martyr them. Those who heap the most abuse upon them will be held in high esteem. At that time, the Pope with his cardinals will have to flee Rome in tragic circumstances to a place where they will be unknown. The Pope will die a cruel death in his exile. The sufferings of the Church will be much greater than at any previous time in her history. But God will raise a holy Pope, and the Angels will rejoice. Enlightened by God, this man will rebuild almost the whole world through his holiness. He will lead everyone to the true Faith."

There are many other prophecies that correlate with this one.  There is lots of talk from the mystics about the rise of a Great Monarch and a new Holy Pope after a time of terrible punishment.  Perhaps after the Conflagration itself (the Three Days of Darkness, which is thought to be brought on by a heavenly body, such as a comet or asteroid).

If you are wanting a more authoritative book on what Catholics think the end of the world will resemble, the book Trial, Tribulation and Triumph, Before, During and After Antichrist by Desmond Birch is one hell of a read.  The beginning and end seem redundant.  But there is a good sizeable chunk of text in there that clearly and methodically goes through the legitimate prophecies of mystics. 

As for Nostradamus, I think he was legit to some degree.  I don't know how.  But I don't dismiss him outright--though he was not a holy saint like other folks. 

...but then again, I'm a guy who tried defending Unity Publishing on this forum, so what do I know!

(08-14-2010, 09:30 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: [ -> ]As for Nostradamus, I think he was legit to some degree.  I don't know how.  But I don't dismiss him outright--though he was not a holy saint like other folks. 

I think prophecies are given to people by God. People shouldn't go looking for them. Nostradamus looked for them in a bowl of water, or something, so I gather. That kind of thing is forbidden. That's why I don't like him. Even if his prophecies are accurate, I don't think he got his info from God.
And to add to Laramie's remark, when this generation fact checks everything in the world, they will have done nothing except look in books.

And remember that Balaam was a bad prophet in the Book of Numbers. God gives the gift to whoever he wants, including people that are not good. Remember "it is better one of us dies than all of us" that's prophecy, too.
tim
(08-14-2010, 08:03 AM)doulos Wrote: [ -> ]I've been reading a book called Catholic Prophecy by Yves Dupont (TAN Publishing) and was a bit disappointed that it didn't contain any references to original sources.   This is extremely unwise in a book such as this, since it makes it difficult to ascertain the authencity of prophecies quoted.  For example one of the prophecies claims to be made by a certain "Br John of the Cleft Rock" dating to the 14th century.  Yet when I attempted to find the original material this prophecy was quoted from I hit a brick wall.  I can't even find any biographical information about this person, never mind references to an original document.  Does anyone know anything about this person, or is he a phantom conjured from someone's imagination in the recent past?

Some of the prophecies in Dupont's book are verifiable, for instance, the ones attributed to Mother Shipton.  There is a book, centuries old, that contains the prophecies, and the book can actually be seen by anyone who wants to go see it.  It's in England.

The section of the book that deals with Sister Catherine Emmerich is not valid.  The quotes attributed to her are taken out of context and completely misused.
(08-14-2010, 03:18 PM)DJR Wrote: [ -> ]The section of the book that deals with Sister Catherine Emmerich is not valid.  The quotes attributed to her are taken out of context and completely misused.

By the way, does anyone know which book or publication contains the prophecies of Emmerich?  Is it in the Life of Jesus Christ?  Which volume?  Page?
(08-14-2010, 09:33 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-14-2010, 03:18 PM)DJR Wrote: [ -> ]The section of the book that deals with Sister Catherine Emmerich is not valid.  The quotes attributed to her are taken out of context and completely misused.

By the way, does anyone know which book or publication contains the prophecies of Emmerich?  Is it in the Life of Jesus Christ?  Which volume?  Page?

Her prophecies are scattered throughout two series of books, one being the one you mentioned, the other being the 2 Volume set, "The Life of Anne Catherine Emmerich."

Here's a specific one from TLOJC in which she says the devil will be released 50 or 60 years before the year of Christ 2000 on page 308.

http://www.jesus-passion.com/THE_PASSION...CHAPTERLIX
(08-14-2010, 09:52 PM)CrusaderKing Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-14-2010, 09:33 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: [ -> ]

Her prophecies are scattered throughout two series of books, one being the one you mentioned, the other being the 2 Volume set, "The Life of Anne Catherine Emmerich."

Here's a specific one from TLOJC in which she says the devil will be released 50 or 60 years before the year of Christ 2000 on page 308.http://www.jesus-passion.com/THE_PASSION6.htm#CHAPTERLIX

This is the falsified version of Catherine Emmerich's visions that is contained in Dupont's book:  "I saw again the new and odd-looking Church which they were trying to build. There was nothing holy about it... People were kneading bread in the crypt below... but it would not rise, nor did they receive the body of Our Lord, but only bread. Those who were in error, through no fault of their own, and who piously and ardently longed for the Body of Jesus were spiritually consoled, but not by their communion. Then, my Guide [Jesus] said: 'THIS IS BABEL.' [The Mass in many languages]."

In Argentina the most famous local one is Solari Parravicini,, an artist who died in 1974

he made drawing with prophecies on them

this one is from 1938

[Image: 030.gif]

The papacy will have new rules, what was bad yesterday , no longer will be bad, the mass will be protestant, without being it, protestants will be catholic, without being it. The pope will depart in trips to the Americas, meanwhile mankind will fall.

This one is about the USA

[Image: 044.jpg]

The freedom of north america will lose its light. Its torch will not flame like yesterday and the monument will be attacked twice.

There are many more

The world will be fully in hands of an idea that will destroy it, triumphous atheism

[Image: 018.gif]

The translations are mine, sorry if they are not perfect
Pages: 1 2