FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Could it possibly be more obvious
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
that Protestantism came straight from Satan?

http://www.catholicapologetics.info/apol....htm#_ftn3
Honestly I knew he said some blasphemous and terrible things but I had to idea the extent of it. The end result of Luther's teachings and Protestantism in general is atheism, and all prots should have figured this out by now. Once a person believes Scripture can mean anything to anyone who reads it,  it's only natural that they start doubting the entire Bible and their faith. Thanks for posting this link. 
He said some pretty dodgy stuff, alright.
(08-15-2010, 08:11 PM)Arun Wrote: [ -> ]He said some pretty dodgy stuff, alright.

"Dodgy" - now that is very complimentary! :)
Quote:“It does not matter what people do; it only matters what they believe.”

“A person that is baptized cannot, thou he would, lose his salvation by any sins however grievous, unless he refuses to believe."

"...with regard to God, and in all that bears on salvation or damnation, (man) has no 'free-will', but is a captive, prisoner and bond slave, either to the will of God, or to the will of  Satan."

"Do not ask anything of your conscience; and if it speaks, do not listen to it; if it insists, stifle it, amuse yourself; if necessary, commit some good big sin, in order to drive it away."

"No sin can separate us from Him, even if we were to kill or commit adultery thousands of times each day."

“There is no scandal greater, more dangerous, more venomous, than a good outward life, manifested by good works and a pious mode of life. That is the grand portal, the highway that leads to damnation."

My understand of Luther is that he was an exceedingly scrupulous man before the Reformation.  It seems to me that it got the better of him and he needed to change Christianity to accommodate himself and take the pressure off.  Most of his heresy stems from his rejection of free will.
Does anyone have details about Luther's death? One of the priests on EWTN yesterday said that Luther asked for a priest on his deathbed, but died while the priest was climbing the stairs, before he could reach him!

But I don't know if the story is true. It was the first time I heard anything like that.
(08-15-2010, 08:26 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone have details about Luther's death? One of the priests on EWTN yesterday said that Luther asked for a priest on his deathbed, but died while the priest was climbing the stairs, before he could reach him!

But I don't know if the story is true. It was the first time I heard anything like that.

I know that Lutherans vehemently deny that story.  I don't know if it's true either.

I know it's rumored he was an alcoholic towards the end at least and suffered a stroke while drunk.

I don't think there's a generally accepted story.  It's a 'politicized' issue.
(08-15-2010, 08:26 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone have details about Luther's death? One of the priests on EWTN yesterday said that Luther asked for a priest on his deathbed, but died while the priest was climbing the stairs, before he could reach him!

Reminds me of the story of Voltaire, where he begged for a priest, and one arrived, but his friends and associates physically prevented the priest from reaching him...
(08-15-2010, 09:33 PM)The Catholic Thinker Wrote: [ -> ]I know that Lutherans vehemently deny that story.  I don't know if it's true either.

I know it's rumored he was an alcoholic towards the end at least and suffered a stroke while drunk.

I don't think there's a generally accepted story.  It's a 'politicized' issue.

Since the Lutherans until recently practice either the aural confession (priest with the seal listen to the sins of penitent) and also the Last Unction there is nothing meaningful in this story. Luther also strictly believed that he and his followers represent the true Church, and the ministers are true priests.

In Hungary the clear distinction between Lutheran - Calvinist or Catholic priests/ministers was made only in the 1600's
1546. Luther was invited by the princes of Mansfeld to mediate a quarrel. He was treated magnificently. Everyone flocked to his sermons. Feast followed feast. During one drinking session, he rose and wrote on the wall an invective against the pope, amidst laughter and joking; suddenly, the old anguish overwhelmed him. The guests saw him return to his place, sinister, not opening his mouth. Not even drunkenness restored his usual loquacity.

His valets revealed later that on this night, February 18, 1546, they had carried the master dead drunk to his bed. Having returned the next morning to dress him, they found him hanged to the posts of his bed, strangled. The devil, with whom he boasted of having slept more often than with his wife, had communicated to him, with his hatred, his despair.7

7. Ivan Gobry, Luther, (Paris: Ed. L.T.R., 1991). The substance of the biography and the account of his death are taken from this work.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5