FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Vocations and illness
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Why is it that most religious orders, including traditional ones have something against people with illnesses? Almost every order I have contacted has said that my diabetes would exclude me from being accepted. Many of the greatest Saints had a lot more disabling illnesses than diabetes and not only did they get accepted into Monasteries but they founded religious orders. When I raised this point with the Abbott at the Monastery I was at he said the Saints became sick after they were in the monastery. This may have been the case with some of them, but certainly not all. I really have a hard time with this. Another point is every time I have been at monasteries, either visiting or when I was a candidate my blood sugars were always perfect.

Biggest reason is probably money.  If we're talking monasteries, oftentimes they are older, and have thin margins of operating expenses.  So, it'd be imprudent for them, I think, to accept a candidate who is medically "dangerous" (or is a liability in the future, potentially), when they are already living "on the edge."
I don't think they have anything against people with illnesses, illness is just one of the commonly accepted tools used to discern God's Will. Other people's  circumstances may vary but for myself the level of "cushiness" my health requires would not allow me to conform to the rigors (even the mild ones) of religious life. I would prefer not to have to be "cushy". It can be annoying, misunderstood and humiliating, especially among tough trads, but that's how I know it's good for my soul. It's all about conforming to the crosses God chooses for us rather than those we think we would prefer. I would have been much more of a burden than a help to religious community life and that's something they had to take into consideration. Within my own home and my own environment however, I have more control over things like diet and schedule, making me much more helpful to the world at large (ideally anyway Big Grin).
It is hard... I've got some medical stuff (mosty asthma and migraines.)  That said, there are orders that will work with people who have health problems.  The Visitation Sisters come to mind as part of the reason they were founded was to accomodate those who couldn't enter other orders.  I don't know of specific communities for men, though.
No one has a grudge against ill folk. Sickness is a financial liability. One can posit that religious groups should live more purely and not consider economic concerns whatsoever, but that's a separate issue. In the Medieval period it was actually quite common to turn away diseased people from religious life. So common was it, in fact, that special groups of religious were formed especially to receive the old and sick.
Credo, are any of those orders still around ? Being Sick and Old, it could be for me.  Smile
tim
(08-15-2010, 10:17 AM)timoose Wrote: [ -> ]Credo, are any of those orders still around ? Being Sick and Old, it could be for me.  Smile
tim

Those orders were specialized in caring for the sick. Since the end of the 19th Century in Europe and since the 1920's in the US the medical industry is protected by state laws, only licensed individual could care of others. Nominally this is for better care, but actually it is for providing greater profit for the privileged ones, with the consequence of exorbitant tuition fees for the required education. The charity lost for the greed.
Well, going the route of starting my own Monastery would be hard and financially impossible barring large scale donations. The easiest way to do it would be to become a hermit. The problem, I would have to have enough money to provide food and medical care. Not to mention I would have to be somewhere that has at least a weekly TLM but preferably a daily TLM so that really limits things. At a bare minimum I would need electricity and running water which means I would need some source of income in addition to food and medical. But as has been said, if this is what God wants for me, He will provide what is needed.

If I want to become a hermit I can really do it up right with one of these as my hermitage...

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

(08-15-2010, 06:28 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]Well, going the route of starting my own Monastery would be hard and financially impossible barring large scale donations. The easiest way to do it would be to become a hermit. The problem, I would have to have enough money to provide food and medical care. Not to mention I would have to be somewhere that has at least a weekly TLM but preferably a daily TLM so that really limits things. At a bare minimum I would need electricity and running water which means I would need some source of income in addition to food and medical. But as has been said, if this is what God wants for me, He will provide what is needed.

If I want to become a hermit I can really do it up right with one of these as my hermitage...

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

You could move to Cashton, WI...
http://www.institute-christ-king.org/cashton/
Yeah. It’s good to be yourself. Same with you, I will try to do something. So I support your decision!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5