FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Was Nostradamus ever formaly condemned?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I ask because I have never been able to find any documents related to the Church condemning his works or his writings or even if he was excommunicated or not.

It would seem odd nothing would exists officially since the time he lived in was the time of the reformation where any suspicious writing was quickly dealt with.
(08-17-2010, 10:16 AM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]I ask because I have never been able to find any documents related to the Church condemning his works or his writings or even if he was excommunicated or not.

It would seem odd nothing would exists officially since the time he lived in was the time of the reformation where any suspicious writing was quickly dealt with.

Because he was a Jew?  It's possible he was condemned by the Rabbinate, as was Baruch Spinoza.
(08-19-2010, 11:54 AM)Augstine Baker Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-17-2010, 10:16 AM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]I ask because I have never been able to find any documents related to the Church condemning his works or his writings or even if he was excommunicated or not.

Because he was a Jew?  It's possible he was condemned by the Rabbinate, as was Baruch Spinoza.

I meant for his so called visions and writings.

Rabbinate, what are you talking about? And yes I am aware that his grandparents were Jewish.
(08-19-2010, 12:02 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]

Rabbinate, what are you talking about? And yes I am aware that his grandparents were Jewish.

He would have fallen under the jurisdiction of the rabbis, and not the Inquisition or the Church authorities.
(08-19-2010, 12:06 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: [ -> ]

He would have fallen under the jurisdiction of the rabbis, and not the Inquisition or the Church authorities.

He never converted or anything?  He was never in anyway considered a member of the Church?  Was the name "Nostradamus" just a superficial guise to make him sound non-Jewish?
(08-19-2010, 12:29 PM)3Sanctus Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-19-2010, 12:06 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: [ -> ]

He never converted or anything?  He was never in anyway considered a member of the Church?  Was the name "Nostradamus" just a superficial guise to make him sound non-Jewish?

He wasn't Jewish, but I've always thought he was.  In any event, he wasn't condemned because his work was vague and didn't fall under the categories covered by Holy Inquisition, plus Catherine de Medici was dependent on his predictions and she protected him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostradamus