FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Rosary Necklace?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I am watching a show on EWTN called "Abundant Life" and the host lady is wearing rosary beads for a necklace---but I think it's too small to be a real rosary, like it's a necklace that's supposed to look like you're wearing rosary beads.  Aren't rosary beads not to be worn as jewelry?? This is bothering me a bit.  Huh?
(08-18-2010, 02:50 AM)Carpool Wrote: [ -> ]I am watching a show on EWTN called "Abundant Life" and the host lady is wearing rosary beads for a necklace---but I think it's too small to be a real rosary, like it's a necklace that's supposed to look like you're wearing rosary beads.  Aren't rosary beads not to be worn as jewelry?? This is bothering me a bit.   Huh?

I looked at a few sites to see what they had to say. As a sacramental, the Rosary should be treated with reverence (see Code of Canon Law, n. 1171). Some religious wear it around their belts, or have it hanging down a shoulder or neckline. St. Louis de Montfort, in his Secret of the Rosary, recalls a person who wore the Rosary around his neck and that that helped to ward off demons, so there is precent for this practice. And so, I suppose that as long as you wear it as a sign of veneration and devotion (and actually use it, which I assume you will), you should be fine.

I think many lay Catholics have generally and traditionally been weary of wearing the Rosary, myself included. I wonder what others have to say about it...

It seemed to me that she was wearing it for jewelry--it even matched her outfit.  Hmmm...
From my understanding, there's a cultural difference. For Latin (Spanish, Latin American, maybe Italian) cultures, Catholicism is usually expressed very openly with processions and the like. So wearing the Rosary is not unusual to them.

For the Irish, on the other hand, wearing the Rosary was a surefire way to run afoul of the English penal laws. The same applies to English Catholics, of course. So in the Anglo/English-speaking world, wearing the Rosary is unusual. Irish Catholicism tends to be low-key in general, hence the so-called "low Mass mentality".

This is just a theory. My opinion is that it's okay to wear the Rosary if one actually has a devotion to it and the Virgin, and it's one way to make a public witness to Christianity. As a fashion accessory, no.
In my travels wearing a Rosary chaplet has been discouraged. This is probably with an eye to keep the Rosary from turning into an item of popular vanity/jewelry. Some folk do wear the Rosary out of piety.
Americans of Italian descent do not wear rosaries, that I know, and I grew up here in Chi-town among them. I give away rosaries and scapulars, and the folks of Spanish descent will wear them. It bothers me, but I keep my mouth shut. My observation is that even among them it is divided. The folks from Mexico are not so much inclined but the ones from Puerto Rico are.
tim
I wear mine when I plan to use it that day.  Especially if I have a dentist appointment or some other such event where it's not convenient to hold it while praying.
i wore one once for a couple of minutes when i had a very bad episode of being reminded of something in my past (and getting all depressed and despairing as a result).

It worked so effectively that the thoughts disappeared immediately. Thanks be to God.
miss_fluffy Wrote:Especially if I have a dentist appointment or some other such event where it's not convenient to hold it while praying.

Why do you bring a Rosary around with you if you don't use it? A Rosary, physically speaking , is but a counting tool.
(08-18-2010, 02:50 AM)Carpool Wrote: [ -> ]I am watching a show on EWTN called "Abundant Life" and the host lady is wearing rosary beads for a necklace---but I think it's too small to be a real rosary, like it's a necklace that's supposed to look like you're wearing rosary beads.  Aren't rosary beads not to be worn as jewelry?? This is bothering me a bit.   Huh?

One can wear a rosary for an expression of faith or other reasons. Religious routinely wear them (in belts).

Some rosaries are quite small, so it is possible. Also, if it isn't a rosary, then it is just religious jewelry and religious decorations are not uncommon.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6