FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Latin Mass community finds church to call home
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

http://www.catholicsun.org/2010/august/1...hurch.html

It’s good to be home.

That’s the overwhelming sentiment shared by the 130 or so families who belong to Mater Misericordiae Mission. For the first time in its more than six years of existence, the mission — which celebrates the Extraordinary Form of the Mass, commonly called the Tridentine Rite — has a church to call its own.

The church is an old brick building that sits on 15th Avenue and Monroe Street in downtown Phoenix and used to host Baptist services. It has a parish hall as well as a rectory.

“Today is a day of great joy,” said Fr. Joseph Terra, FSSP, pastor of the mission, during an Aug. 8 Mass at the new church. “We have a home of our own.”

While Mater Misericordiae has been raising money in its building fund for a number of years, this new property is a fairly recent find, said Fr. Terra.

“It seemed to fit our needs. It was there and we pursued it,” he said. “The hunt for a property had been on for some time, but this one came to our attention a few months ago.”

The new church means a lot of things for the mission, but foremost is greater flexibility in Mass and confession times. Before, the mission had been using the church at St. Thomas the Apostle Parish. They couldn’t celebrate Sunday Mass until 1 p.m. to fit with the parish’s schedule.

Now, the mission will offer a 9 a.m. low and an 11 a.m. high Mass, as well as daily Mass at 6:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. during the week. Additionally, Fr. Terra and Fr. John Shannon — both of whom belong to the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter — will hear confessions before daily Masses, on Saturday evening and before and after Sunday Masses.

This is perhaps most exciting for members of Mater Misericordiae, many of whom are still having a hard time believing they have a place of their own.

“One year ago, I was very doubtful that in my lifetime we would see a church,” said Ernie Apodaca. “Then, one day it’s here and it’s just very wonderful.”

The new church needs some renovating, Fr. Terra said, including roof work, a new floor, a new altar, windows, doors and plumbing and electrical work. Most of the work will hopefully be completed within the next four months, but there are longer-term plans including building a new facade for the church.

“This is God’s house and we will make it as beautiful as we can,” Fr. Terra said during his homily, before listing the proposed renovations.

“And by the way, by that time we will have kneelers installed,” he joked.

The campus can also host other events in the mission’s life, like potlucks after Mass in their new parish hall or meetings for the Society of St. Joseph and Confraternity of Christian Mothers.

“Here it’s smaller,” said mission member Joe Kestner. “You get to know people.”

The small, tight-knit community is one of the aspects that draws members to Mater Misericordiae, but Apodaca sees bigger growth for the mission in the future.

“I can see a continual growth in many ways — spiritual, numbers and family,” he said. “It’s exciting to me. I really see it in the young people. Most people think this Mass is for the old people, but it’s not.”
I find it odd that the ordinary of the diocese has not helped them more.
(08-18-2010, 09:04 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]I find it odd that the ordinary of the diocese has not helped them more.

Really!?

You find that odd??? ???

The local ordinaries are usually a road block.
I'm jealous of Pheonix.

You guys have it going on in a big way. 

There's FSSP, ICK, SSPX, all right there! 

If moving to Phoenix didn't involving living in an OVEN I just might join you.
It's 115 degrees in the summer,andy ou need to get up before the sun to "cool" up your car and get the a/c going so you can drive to work. It is a close to hell as one can get.
tim
(08-18-2010, 09:04 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]I find it odd that the ordinary of the diocese has not helped them more.
Compared to the former bishop,  His Excellency Bishop Olmstead has helped the local TLM community quite alot.
(08-18-2010, 09:54 PM)timoose Wrote: [ -> ]It's 115 degrees in the summer,andy ou need to get up before the sun to "cool" up your car and get the a/c going so you can drive to work. It is a close to hell as one can get.
tim

Temperature notwithstanding, Chicago is way more of a hell than Phoenix. I live in the Ca desert, and no way would I trade it for that humid pos Chicago. And I have a TLM 25 miles away, and if I want to drive 60 miles, I can go to a private chapel at the priest's residence, day or night. The west is the best, the east is the beast...... :cheers:
(08-18-2010, 10:26 PM)CatholicLife Wrote: [ -> ]
Compared to the former bishop,  His Excellency Bishop Olmstead has helped the local TLM community quite alot.

Like I said I am very surprised. I would have to imagine that the diocese has been left bleeding quite a bit of money from the mismanagement of the previous Bishop.

I have seen many of the Phoenix parishes and though most still look like they are stuck in the 60s there are a few that maintain tradition including a couple that still offer the Mass in both form and facing the liturgical east.
Fr. Terra was also responsible for the Dallas group finally get a parish, just before he was reassigned to PHX. I do miss him.

Quote:Like I said I am very surprised. I would have to imagine that the diocese has been left bleeding quite a bit of money from the mismanagement of the previous Bishop.

I have seen many of the Phoenix parishes and though most still look like they are stuck in the 60s there are a few that maintain tradition including a couple that still offer the Mass in both form and facing the liturgical east.

Almost all of the church biuldings in the Diocese are very nice , the problem is when you walk in, and get greeted by some ugly liturgical art.  The bishop , who I think is a great man , removed a rather ugly statue of Jesus from the catherdal and replaced it with a very beautiful crucifix. He invited the FSSP to the diocese in 2005 , something the former bishop would have never done.
Pages: 1 2